Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> keep blowing the 4th fuse from the right, where to look for cause?
DRPHIL914
post Mar 19 2012, 10:48 PM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Here is what I lose:
Tach, fuel level, oil temp gauge, volt meter. Then the red alt. Light is on, but car runssmoother, it was not right before that.

This is a 75 2.0. D-jet new coil not long
ago, I have a hotspark module, no issues with it seems to be fine.. Had been running really good.
All lights stay on except I think the brake light, that could be the culprit? . I will recheck that. What else is on this circuit?
I thought tomorrow I would disconnet the fuel level sender, maybe that is the cause?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Mar 19 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Check to see if your AAR wire is shorting to ground.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Mar 19 2012, 10:59 PM
Post #3

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

My 5th from the right keeps blowing but I have a 75 with a 3.0L-6 and everything else seems to be working? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 19 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 19 2012, 08:59 PM) *

My 5th from the right keeps blowing but I have a 75 with a 3.0L-6 and everything else seems to be working? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Mar 19 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #5

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

My short was in the rear trunk tail lights - brake if I recall correctly.
Hope it helps
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Mar 19 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #6

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 19 2012, 10:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 19 2012, 08:59 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) It will get figured out but so far it is eluding me!
+Quote Post
orange914
post Mar 19 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #7

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 19 2012, 10:25 PM) *

Hope it helps

if the bulbs were all out and switched back in wrong this will happen... ask me how I know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 20 2012, 06:12 AM
Post #8

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 20 2012, 12:53 AM) *

thanks, Jeff I will check that out. had not thought of it - i have not put in the ignition harness i got from you almost 2 months ago,. that might be the deal.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Mar 20 2012, 01:25 AM) *

Hope it helps

I actually had these short out 2 years ago, had to re-splice and had not been a problem, i looked there, found one of the spades came loose , put it back together, but its still tripping, but i will look closer at the brake lines.

also thought maybe the fuel gauge might be the issue or a wire grounding out behind the gauges, i need to take a look there too, i will have time tonight. i thought about doing this trial an error, disconnect the aar. see if that stops it, then the fuel gauge, . i wish the book showed EVERYTHING that runs on one circuit. crazy how on the fuse panal it shows like 3 things and there are 10, LOL

+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Mar 20 2012, 06:18 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Light is on, but car runssmoother, it was not right before that.

Say-again, please. "Car runs better when fuse is blown," i.e., when the short circuit is no longer grounded?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 20 2012, 06:23 AM
Post #10

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Mar 20 2012, 08:18 AM) *

Light is on, but car runssmoother, it was not right before that.

Say-again, please. "Car runs better when fuse is blown," i.e., when the short circuit is no longer grounded?

i seems like that, but it could be because it was warming up and it tends to be a little rough upon cold start up. i was suspecting my CHT, even though it was a new one put in this winter, or could be the AAR, as it seemed that maybe that new AAR i put in this last winter may not be opening up all the way, so that could do it, plus a short on that would keep that from happneing, causing both issues, fuse and bad start up.

hm. , ----
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 20 2012, 06:26 AM
Post #11

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 20 2012, 07:12 AM) *

thanks, Jeff I will check that out. had not thought of it - i have not put in the ignition harness i got from you almost 2 months ago,. that might be the deal.

Hope it helps

I actually had these short out 2 years ago, had to re-splice and had not been a problem, i looked there, found one of the spades came loose , put it back together, but its still tripping, but i will look closer at the brake lines.

also thought maybe the fuel gauge might be the issue or a wire grounding out behind the gauges, i need to take a look there too, i will have time tonight. i thought about doing this trial an error, disconnect the aar. see if that stops it, then the fuel gauge, . i wish the book showed EVERYTHING that runs on one circuit. crazy how on the fuse panal it shows like 3 things and there are 10, LOL

The aar fuse will interupt the fuel pump, so I doubt thats the problem. Don't know if its on that circuit (too lazy to look it uo right now) but check the wires for the reverse lights at the trans. If they fall on the exhaust or axle it will cause an intermittant short.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 20 2012, 06:42 AM
Post #12

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Mar 20 2012, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 20 2012, 07:12 AM) *

Hope it helps

The aar fuse will interupt the fuel pump, so I doubt thats the problem. Don't know if its on that circuit (too lazy to look it uo right now) but check the wires for the reverse lights at the trans. If they fall on the exhaust or axle it will cause an intermittant short.

my reverse lights do not work- never have since ive had the car, so i am assuming the switch is bad, but i have not tried to figure it out, - might be time to do that i guess (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 20 2012, 06:47 AM
Post #13

I drive my car everyday

The bullet type connectors on the wires at the switch are notorious for falling out. Sometimes the switch can be repaired with a minor adjustment.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 20 2012, 06:54 AM
Post #14

I drive my car everyday

Ok, just checked. The reverse lights are on that circuit along with the tail lights and turn signals.
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Mar 20 2012, 07:23 AM
Post #15

The aar fuse will interupt the fuel pump

FYI That is supposed to be the way it works, but this year I've seen three instances where the AAR wire grounded without blowing the regulator board fuse. Mine was one of those instances, and it fried my ignition harness including the back up light, tach, oil pressure and FP circuits.

Curt nailed it when he repeated all the quotes: The portion of the WH that affects #9 fuse seems to have some issues on this car. Dr. Phil's, if I were you, I'd install that ignition harness you got from Jeff, check out your back-up light, and run a little continuity testing on the usual suspects ID'd in this thread. I bet you'll solve the fuse problem between one of those.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 20 2012, 07:42 AM
Post #16

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Mar 20 2012, 09:23 AM) *

The aar fuse will interupt the fuel pump

FYI That is supposed to be the way it works, but this year I've seen three instances where the AAR wire grounded without blowing the regulator board fuse. Mine was one of those instances, and it fried my ignition harness including the back up light, tach, oil pressure and FP circuits.

Curt nailed it when he repeated all the quotes: The portion of the WH that affects #9 fuse seems to have some issues on this car. Dr. Phil's, if I were you, I'd install that ignition harness you got from Jeff, check out your back-up light, and run a little continuity testing on the usual suspects ID'd in this thread. I bet you'll solve the fuse problem between one of those.

thanks for the advice, - since i was going to be pulling the engine and transmission in a week or so anyway- going to the tranny clinic next month and having some jackpoint rust repair done at the same time, i'm just going to pull this thing, - i'm having all the tin powdercoated too, so while it is all out and apart, i will put the new harness on- then i will have new FI and injection harnesses, i will put in all new ground straps, etc. and check that reverse switch., from there i will have to wait till it all goes back together and gets put back in the car, - i also have a new fuse panel upgrade coming from egmann- so i was going to do this as well.

tonight i will check the AAR and couple other things . i just need to drive it to the shop so i can start pulling it this week.

i will keep you posted, and again thanks for the advice!!!!
-
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Mar 20 2012, 07:47 AM
Post #17

I drive my car everyday

Keep us updated please?
+Quote Post
Tom
post Mar 20 2012, 08:03 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Fuse #9 has nothing to do with the AAR.
AAR is fused off of the rear fuse on the relay panel AND at 25 amps is fused too high. I use an 8 amp for mine as I don't have the heater blower hooked up and no rear window defrost. The wire for the AAR is only good for about 20 amps before becoming so hot it melts surrounding wires, so if you fuse that one at 25 and and your AAR shorts out partially, it can fry the AAR wire and surrounding wires. If you do have the heater blower hooked up, using a 16 amp fuse will be good, but carry a back-up. An alternative is to put an inline fuse at the junction where the AAR wire hooks up to your harness wire and fuse it a 5 amps. Be a crying shame to fry that brand new ignition harness!
Tom
+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Mar 20 2012, 08:17 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(Tom @ Mar 20 2012, 10:03 AM) *

Fuse #9 has nothing to do with the AAR.

Tom, can you rule it out? True, AAR circuit is not fused at the front, but some of the other components suppled by the ignition harness are. The wires supplying AAR and those components are adjacent, and if they start melting.... Since #9 is 7.5A (I think?) it could (not saying it's likely) blow first in the event of a more massive failure within the harness sheath.
+Quote Post
Tom
post Mar 20 2012, 08:30 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Stuart,
You are right! The tach and oil sensor wire are in that harness and if the AAR wire has melted previously, causing damage to those wires, that could be causing the #9 fuse to blow. Of course by that point I would have expected some report of smoke and bad smell.
Tom
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 06:51 AM