Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's so great about this?, Ebay item
thomasotten
post Sep 23 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,349

I see this "Chalon Manual" on Ebay for $32 with 4 bids on it. I don't get it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I have one of those, and I will gladly part with it for 32 bucks. Is this a case of "stupid is as stupid does"?

Chalon Manual on Ebay
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 23 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I have one of those, and I will gladly part with it for 32 bucks. Is this a case of "stupid is as stupid does"?

that's a pretty harsh comment.....obviously these people bidding do not have the manual just sitting around collecting dust, therefore, it's worth what they are willing to pay for it....if you feel so sad for them, why don't you offer to make copies or just give yours away since you feel it has zero value (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Sep 23 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,349

Oh gee...
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Sep 23 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #4

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

note: "...this auction is for a copy of the original 16 page instruction booklet ..."- - - prolly a xerox copy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
bob91403
post Sep 24 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,763

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Sep 23 2004, 07:34 PM)
I see this "Chalon Manual" on Ebay for $32 with 4 bids on it. I don't get it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I have one of those, and I will gladly part with it for 32 bucks. Is this a case of "stupid is as stupid does"?

Chalon Manual on Ebay

Just scan it, and post it, let everyone have a copy for free. I'm sure the copyright has expired, otherwise the guy selling a copy on ebay would be in deep sh-t.
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Sep 24 2004, 12:44 AM
Post #6

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 24 2004, 05:47 AM
Post #7

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bob91403 @ Sep 23 2004, 10:36 PM)
I'm sure the copyright has expired...

i am not sure ...

US copyright law is life of the author plus 50 years.

there are some 'fair use' provisions that could make a copy available to a legitimate owner of an unassembled kit, for instance.

technically, it's probably not a legal auction. more likely, the original author simply does not care to deal with it, having moved on to bigger and better things.

this is always a touchy subject regarding Porsche documentation. there are useful documents that are NLA, yet Porsche is neither interested in authorising reproduction nor re-issuing them themselves. so there is a grey area in which guys offering reproductions for little more than cost operate. i'm sure Porsche knows about some of them but stays out of the way.

if i had a pile of Chalon parts in my garage but no manual, it'd be worth some amount to obtain the documentation, i'd think ... or if i bought a completed car, and wondered how it was assembled to facilitate repaint or repair.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 09:48 AM