Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Type 1 Engine in a 914?, Does anyone have one?
Chris Hamilton
post Apr 12 2012, 06:25 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,687

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 29 2012, 01:12 PM) *

There's a crew that races a 912 with a hot T1 at PCA GGR AXs.
It's light and fast and low budget. Their 914 almost always takes TTOD, so they can build a fast AX car. The 912 is controversial, and sparked a few "protesters" since it's "heritage" is questionable under PCA rules. If that crew wanted to build a hot-rod T1 into a 914 they could, but in the 2-4 914s they have built/supported for PCA AX racin they all use other powerplants (TIV, 6, or V8).

I agree it would be awesome to see lower than ~$30 per HP from TIVs from builders. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

To mount the type-I in the 914 you would need to build special mounts as the type-I case likes to 'hang' from the transmission rather than be supported at the end like the type-IV. You would then want to put an accessory mount under the end of the engine where the motor mount bar goes on the 914 to provide a little bit of additional support under hard acceleration.

Depending on some other factors you could probably get this header to fit between the motor and the firewall, or just have something custom made http://www.vwparts.net/A1SW.html

The type-I is just a better engine in almost every respect due to the huge aftermarket support. The type-IV engine would be great if you could get the same kind of heads for them as you can with a type-I. As it currently stands nobody makes anything even close to a pair of competition eliminator heads from CB Performance.

Pauter makes what they call "super pro" heads that look very promising for a type-IV, but I haven't seen any in person and they are very expensive ( comparatively speaking ).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ductech
post Apr 12 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 11,949
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have no supposed air-cooled experience but I would think that for the type 4 you at least would get a more reliable 150-200 horse than a old type 1 based case taken to the out right limits at 150-200. Aren't type 1 cases magnesium aluminum based where as the type 4 was all aluminum and needed alighn boring much less often. This is all speculation as I have never built a type 4 but I've done a couple type 1's
+Quote Post
Chris Hamilton
post Apr 12 2012, 06:39 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 5,687

QUOTE(Ductech @ Apr 12 2012, 05:29 PM) *

I have no supposed air-cooled experience but I would think that for the type 4 you at least would get a more reliable 150-200 horse than a old type 1 based case taken to the out right limits at 150-200. Aren't type 1 cases magnesium aluminum based where as the type 4 was all aluminum and needed alighn boring much less often. This is all speculation as I have never built a type 4 but I've done a couple type 1's

There are a few options depending on what kind of racing you are doing. You can either buy a brand new vw magnesium type-I case, or you can buy a brand new aftermarket magnesium or aluminum type-I case.

Here is one example of an aftermarket aluminum case: http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1230
+Quote Post
jmill
post Apr 12 2012, 07:15 PM
Post #64

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(1973-914-2L @ Mar 28 2012, 04:06 PM) *

I also don't understand putting a V8 in a pinto .. a buddy of mine did and I still don't know why .. his answer "I COULD" .. It just doesn't make any sense ..

Makes perfect sense to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rudy543us
post Jul 24 2012, 03:55 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 12,882
Region Association: None

So can a TYPE I be mounted to a 914 transmission so you can maintain the stock installation location?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 24 2012, 07:57 AM
Post #66

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(rudy543us @ Jul 24 2012, 05:55 AM) *

So can a TYPE I be mounted to a 914 transmission so you can maintain the stock installation location?

Yes, it can be done.
+Quote Post
rudy543us
post Jul 24 2012, 08:12 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 12,882

Do tell Mark,

So will I need a special plate between the engine and tranny, is there a site with the materials, will stock mounting locations work?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
ape914
post Jul 24 2012, 09:51 AM
Post #68

red locktite

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 12,676

QUOTE(rudy543us @ Jul 24 2012, 02:55 AM) *

yes the bolt pattern is the same, although clutch/throwout bearing may have to be modified I do know that many V8 conversions use a type I flywheel machined to fit the chevy crankshaft end. place that does V8 conversions should be able to help with clutch and throwout bearing selection, and that will save you some time.

of course jake raby states that you cant build a decent type I motor anymore, all the parts are chinese junk according to him. hahahaha I know otherwise. however it is one heck of a project to do a conversion. You will want to be sure to seal the engine bay so no hot air from under the car gets in.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 24 2012, 12:50 PM
Post #69

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I did just see a new aluminum type one case with bungs on the front to provide mounting ina bus......not sure if that would be the same setup as a type4 case...

Does anyone sell new 914 cases? or new type4 cases?

rich
+Quote Post
eitnurg
post Jul 24 2012, 11:18 PM
Post #70

Country Member

Member No.: 62

The complete opposite of the original question, but...........

The conversion the 914 (almost) cries out for (and the 912, thinking about it), is one of these. Anyone ever done it?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 25 2012, 05:04 AM
Post #71

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(eitnurg @ Jul 25 2012, 01:18 AM) *

The complete opposite of the original question, but...........

The conversion the 914 (almost) cries out for (and the 912, thinking about it), is one of these. Anyone ever done it?

Attached Image

I suspect someone has thought about it but its not a worthy home for that motor.

at 70k-100k for the rare 4cam motor, and at that price it only delivers 110 HP....if you can keep it running and if you can afford the maintenance....

Rich
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 02:26 AM