Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So is this an original tire on this fuchs rim?
GaroldShaffer
post Mar 27 2012, 08:16 PM
Post #1

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

I have been researching this for the days. I have a 4 bolt Fuch rim with an Michelin SR tire. This was a spare tire in a 73 2.0L that was totaled a few years ago.

I can't find anything to confirm this would be an original tire. I asked Brad Mayuer and he told me the wheel weight is original, but he doesn't remember seeing a SR rated tire on a 2.0 car.

Any advise? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 27 2012, 08:18 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 170

Same one that's on my steel spare! Sure is Garold.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 28 2012, 01:10 AM
Post #3

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Hate to break it to you Gerald & Tod, but that 165SR15 ZX would NOT have left the factory on a 2.0. The 2.0s were ALL (GA & GC) spec'd for 165HR15 due to their higher top speed capability than the 1.7 & 1.8 914s - which were the ones spec'd with SR rated tires.

It's more likely in both cases, your respective 914s' spares were replaced by the dealer before selling it - and if they were stealing the 2L Fuchs spare to sell & replacing them with steelies (as happened on mine) - why not shave a few more bucks off & only use the cheaper SR rated tires!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

The other likely thing was that the SRs were put on by PO's on an early replacement - either to save a few bucks on a rarely used spare, or because HRs were NLA as of 79-80. For my last set of 4 tires in 1980 I had to settle for a set of 165SR15 Klebers, because everyone had stopped making & selling the 165HR15s! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Those stick-on VW & similar Porsche branded weights were available up through at least the mid-1980s - if you got your tires done at the dealerships, or if you ordered them as parts to give to your tire guys. I'd bet you can still get "branded" stick-on weights from VW &/or Porsche too (last time I checked parts dept. anyway), although they'd probably have an updated part no. stamped/cast in them.

So Guys, your SR tire/wheel could've been on the car when first sold, or changed later - but it wasn't what left the factory, unless it was an error (i.e.: similar to the "wrong" non-hub-centric Fuchs 2L & Mahle/Pedrini wheels that went out on some early 73's up through Dec 72, which resulted in recalls by Porsche+Audi to check all 73 alloys for -01 part no. & hub-centric machining, or replace).

PS - it certainly looks like a never or very minimally used spare tire!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Mar 28 2012, 08:27 AM
Post #4

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Thanks Tom, that confirms what Brad told me. So let me ask this, is there any value to the tire itself? I know the Fuch rim has value. This tire & rim as well as another set of Fuchs I have belongs to my wifes cousin. He has asked my help in selling off some of his extra 914 parts.
+Quote Post
tod914
post Mar 28 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

I know the original owner of mine, had the alloy wheels swapped out for steel wheels at the time of purchase. Must of came from a 1.8, I would pressume? Mine is definetly the way it left the dealership. Would a COA confirm which type of alloys the car had?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 28 2012, 06:31 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 27 2012, 07:16 PM) *
... is this an original tire on this fuch rim? ... I have a 4 bolt Fuch rim ... I know the Fuch rim has value ...

Fuchs, not Fuch. The "s" is kinda important ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 28 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Tires these days all have a date code. That at least should tell you if your tire is in the range.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post Mar 28 2012, 06:45 PM
Post #8

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 28 2012, 05:33 PM) *

Tires these days all have a date code. That at least should tell you if your tire is in the range.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

yup build date (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ...and they say tire are only good for 5 years? im up in the air on that one ...i think i depends on how they are treated from new ...maybe April 1993......last of the build # is 493.....just guess n
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 01:04 PM