Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.0-2.3L type 4 engine, my journey to enlightenment, Or why the F can't I just drive my car!
bohalrantipol
post Apr 8 2021, 12:47 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,353

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 8 2021, 01:39 PM) *

I use type one Crowder or Gene Berg dual springs, Bugpack cr-mo retainers and hardened keepers with steel shims. You have to machine the guide bosses.
The Scat spring in your pic is type one.

Thanks Mark,
Yeah I knew they were type 1, but they do fit...ish. Are you using the Crower 68404? Are you using their recommended installed height of 1.6"?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 8 2021, 03:42 PM
Post #42

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(bohalrantipol @ Apr 8 2021, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 8 2021, 01:39 PM) *

I use type one Crowder or Gene Berg dual springs, Bugpack cr-mo retainers and hardened keepers with steel shims. You have to machine the guide bosses.
The Scat spring in your pic is type one.

Thanks Mark,
Yeah I knew they were type 1, but they do fit...ish. Are you using the Crower 68404? Are you using their recommended installed height of 1.6"?

I'd have to look but that sounds right, I always have look dimensions up, but I have the real porsche tool so it's a metric go/no go style gauge. I often buy Berg springs or aircooled,net just because it a matched set that's already been checked.

One step I missed... you have to trim the tops of the guides, spring side.
So the retainer doesn't hit the guide.
+Quote Post
bohalrantipol
post May 1 2021, 09:28 AM
Post #43

Well things have "progressed", even though it always seems like its two steps back and one step forward. I bought the Crower springs, and they look nice. I had intended on doing the guide boss machining myself, but then this happened:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.patsachs.com-7353-1619882899.1.jpeg)

Seems like the theme of this thread. I should change the title to "Broken studs of all sorts!"

So I dropped both the heads off at my machine shop to get the springs fitted and to have the stud bits removed.

Finally the lifters are still an issue. Apparently Web is 6-8 weeks out before they can sell me a set, so I guess I will have to wait. I have read so many conflicting stories about cams/lifters. I am honestly at a little bit of a loss. Hopefully, sticking with the same manufacture will be a little bit of reassurance.

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 1 2021, 09:37 AM
Post #44

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(bohalrantipol @ May 1 2021, 11:28 AM) *

Well things have "progressed", even though it always seems like its two steps back and one step forward. I bought the Crower springs, and they look nice. I had intended on doing the guide boss machining myself, but then this happened:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.patsachs.com-7353-1619882899.1.jpeg)

Seems like the theme of this thread. I should change the title to "Broken studs of all sorts!"

So I dropped both the heads off at my machine shop to get the springs fitted and to have the stud bits removed.

Finally the lifters are still an issue. Apparently Web is 6-8 weeks out before they can sell me a set, so I guess I will have to wait. I have read so many conflicting stories about cams/lifters. I am honestly at a little bit of a loss. Hopefully, sticking with the same manufacture will be a little bit of reassurance.

I'm a a web cam dealer, I'm waiting on lifters as well, last year they were waiting on cam billets. Did you try aircooled.net and AA also sells Web cams.
Studs like that is just an annoyance, I have a whole pile of 2.0 heads that I should scrap... but I just can't do it.
+Quote Post
bohalrantipol
post May 1 2021, 12:54 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 1 2021, 11:37 AM) *

I'm a a web cam dealer, I'm waiting on lifters as well, last year they were waiting on cam billets. Did you try aircooled.net and AA also sells Web cams.
Studs like that is just an annoyance, I have a whole pile of 2.0 heads that I should scrap... but I just can't do it.

Yeah, I tried looking around a little. Aircooled.net told me they usually stock "webcam" compatible lifters that they are claiming are the same as what Webcam sells (sourced from SCAT), but at half the price. Webcam has the Lub-a-lobe lifters, but on the phone they told me they dont really "trust" them. Which is pretty confidence inspiring. AA doesnt list anything but the Lub-a-Lobe webcam lifters, which are also listed as sold out. Amazing to me that no one makes these!

With regards to the pile of 2.0 heads, its always amazing to me the supply vs demand phenomenon with these engines. That you can buy a SET of brand new CNC'ed aluminum heads for something like a chevy/ford/dodge at the same price for a single "new casting" 914 head. I get that the RnD and the cost of developing casting forms doesn't get recouped unless you have either enough people to buy one or price them to sell to the few that do need them. The thing that I hate is that I could buy an ARP stud kit for a chevy, with the same fasteners essentially as the Porsche, but I would pay triple the price because it is for a Porsche. Thats it. In my opinion it does not reflect well on a company that is willing to price gouge people, regardless of the "high class" car crowd they are selling too. Ticks me off.
+Quote Post
bohalrantipol
post May 1 2021, 01:40 PM
Post #46

So while I waited on things I thought I had already.....

I mic'ed for the second time: crank, rods (these were balanced/clearanced for me, so they were perfect), bearings, and the engine case. I had done this already, but wanted to practice the "measure twice" principle, especially since I did that almost 10 years ago, lol. Luckily everything seemed good, and I was getting about ~.0025" clearance on the rods, and .003" on the main bearings. So those are at least good to go.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.patsachs.com-7353-1619898008.1.jpeg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.patsachs.com-7353-1619898009.2.jpeg)
+Quote Post
bohalrantipol
post Aug 19 2021, 09:22 AM
Post #47

I finally got all of my head issues solved. I had the same machine shop get that broken stud out that did the stud from my case. They do great work. While they were doing that I also had them install these:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.patsachs.com-7353-1629386540.1.jpeg)

So they are good to go!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 19 2021, 11:34 AM
Post #48

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Wow. What a journey you have been on. I really hope you are able to get that engine assembled and it fires with no issues. I would like knowing you got to drive your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bohalrantipol
post Aug 20 2021, 08:48 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 19 2021, 01:34 PM) *

Wow. What a journey you have been on. I really hope you are able to get that engine assembled and it fires with no issues. I would like knowing you got to drive your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks, I think "journey" is really the right word.

So to that end more of my journey:

I managed to do the final assembly of the crankshaft and rods.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.patsachs.com-7353-1629470932.1.jpeg)

Then I lubed everything I needed to lube with these fancy products:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.patsachs.com-7353-1629470933.2.jpeg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.patsachs.com-7353-1629470934.3.jpeg)

And then assembled it all into a single package using the "type 4 store" recommended sealing (Curil K2 for case). They have been sitting so long apart, I was amazed at how easy they slid together:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.patsachs.com-7353-1629470934.4.jpeg)

I then installed all of the aluminum threaded NPT inserts using ARPs Thread sealant:

ARP Thread Sealer

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.patsachs.com-7353-1629470934.5.jpeg)

I then turned my attention to the oil pump. I had installed a set of the longer studs, so when test fitting everything seemed to go together well. I had to do some further clearancing on the pump back as well as my cam bolts, which surprised me as I bought everything claiming to be set up "for type 4 engines". Anyway, the pump I decided to go with was a 30mm Schadek from the type 4 store:

Oil pump (full flow)

The reason for this was I decided I want to run a front mount oil cooler, and a full flow system. I installed the pump and cover, and I did something that I couldn't find any reference to elsewhere. I used a very thin coating of Curil T on the pump body and with BOTH gaskets. I dont want any leaks. We will see if this works. All installed and buttoned up. If anyone manages to read this far: I used the same Nylock shoulder nuts I used everywhere else on the engine, do I need to put sealing washers behind these?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.patsachs.com-7353-1629470935.6.jpeg)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 01:14 AM