Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engman kit plus a roll cage?, I think it can be worth having the extra weight.
FourBlades
post Apr 6 2012, 08:57 PM
Post #1

From Wreck to Rockin

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

I need to decide if I am putting an Engman kit (the passenger area one) into my IMSA car. I weighted the kit at 17 pounds plus maybe a pound or less for welds. I am thinking that it is worth the extra weight to stiffen the car and make it safer in the event of a side impact.

I also noticed the the longs under the pads for the roll cage have been flattened noticeably. I think the weight and downward force on the longs is distorting them and causing them to flatten. I'll try to post some pictures of what I mean.

Now if I was trying to win a certain competitive division where every pound mattered then I would not do this. But for a car the will run in historic racing where winning is not everything I think it is worth the weight.

If I was building a car for lemons or chump car I would probably do it was well for the added safety.

What do you all think?

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
FourBlades   Engman kit plus a roll cage?   Apr 6 2012, 08:57 PM
kg6dxn   Which one will slow you down more? Chassis flex? ...   Apr 6 2012, 10:57 PM
Racer Chris   My race car has taken some pretty substantial side...   Apr 7 2012, 06:55 AM
brant   cage alone.   Apr 7 2012, 08:04 AM
J P Stein   :agree:   Apr 7 2012, 09:16 AM
URY914   Cage only. :first:   Apr 7 2012, 04:00 PM
pcar916   :agree: Yup!   Apr 7 2012, 04:04 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 03:42 PM