Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engman kit plus a roll cage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FourBlades

I need to decide if I am putting an Engman kit (the passenger area one) into my IMSA car. I weighted the kit at 17 pounds plus maybe a pound or less for welds. I am thinking that it is worth the extra weight to stiffen the car and make it safer in the event of a side impact.

I also noticed the the longs under the pads for the roll cage have been flattened noticeably. I think the weight and downward force on the longs is distorting them and causing them to flatten. I'll try to post some pictures of what I mean.

Now if I was trying to win a certain competitive division where every pound mattered then I would not do this. But for a car the will run in historic racing where winning is not everything I think it is worth the weight.

If I was building a car for lemons or chump car I would probably do it was well for the added safety.

What do you all think?

John
Mike Bellis
Which one will slow you down more?

Chassis flex?

Added Weight?
ChrisFoley
My race car has taken some pretty substantial side hits and the cage did everything it was supposed to.
It would take a really bad incident to actually damage my roll cage, and I don't think an Engman kit would make much difference.
If the cage is well constructed and well attached to the chassis I see no point in adding thickness to the inner longs and lower firewall.
It would be far better to add 17 lbs of strategically placed roll cage tubing.
brant
cage alone.
J P Stein
agree.gif
URY914
Cage only. first.gif
pcar916
agree.gif Yup!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.