Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dad's car comes home. '71 914, Kid who never got to drive the '14 will get the chance with your help.
kmwvmarip
post Apr 9 2012, 09:44 PM
Post #1

Karl M.

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,354
Region Association: Central California

My Dad bought this car in the late mid-80s and it had and has since lead a pampered life. It has been garaged always.

He moved to the east coast and during a visit he asked if I wanted it. I never got to drive it and have had a bunch of really fun memories in it. My sentimentality has gotten the best of me and I said that I would take it. It has not been started and driven in about 10 years. I just cant wait to take it for a spin. Aside from a few very minor door dings, it is in primo condition.

He is going to buy a flatbed trailer and drag it out to Calif this summer. I know, awesome, right?

What threads or suggestions do you have to get this thing running again? Any threads of note?
What things would you do to give it a once over?

Dad bought lots of parts thinking of the future and is coming with lots and lots of stuff including shop manuals.

Car is stock and original. Attached Image

Sage advice is appreciated--this will be a learning experience as I am not super motor minded.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RickS
post Apr 9 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...t++914++sitting

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...t++914++sitting

Search is your friend. I put in +start +914 +sitting, and selected Titles Only
+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post Apr 9 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #3

Karl M.

Attached Image
Sorry--pics are big...
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Apr 9 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #4

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

Congratulations, you'll find all the help you need here.

+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post Apr 9 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #5

Karl M.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post Apr 9 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #6

Karl M.

QUOTE(RickS @ Apr 9 2012, 08:52 PM) *

Thanks for the start! Appreciated!
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Apr 9 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 11,073
Region Association: Southern California

AVOID THE NOID!! that is awesome.
congratulations and welcome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
LotusJoe
post Apr 9 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #8

Europa Twink Driver

Member No.: 11,085

Don't know where your located in California, but I'm here in LA / Orange County. If your close, and need some assistance, I'm more than willing to help.

Joe
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Apr 9 2012, 10:58 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Apr 9 2012, 09:12 PM) *

Don't know where your located in California, but I'm here in LA / Orange County. If your close, and need some assistance, I'm more than willing to help.

Joe

Joe (OT) I would love to go for a ride in that cool Lotus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 9 2012, 11:09 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) So, your Dad give you the 914, then says he'll deliver it from back east? Tell your Dad I said, "he is one helluva guy". If it hasn't been run in 10 years, you need to drain ALL the fluids. Change ALL the filters, replace ALL the hoses and check and/or change all the fuel lines. The seals in the brake master cylinder might have dried up and shrunk or gotten brittle. Tires might not be so great iether. Flush out the gas tank, looking for rust at the bottom. There are those here with more expertise than I that can tell you what to do about getting engine started. It might involve Marvel Mystery Oil. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post Apr 9 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #11

Karl M.

Agreed!

Here is more info cut from an email recently:

I have one rule I found out the hard way...DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WHEN YOU CHARGE IT!!! It has a new alternator because I burned out the diodes when I just connected the charger without disconnecting the battery cables.. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WHEN YOU CHARGE IT!!! DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WHEN YOU CHARGE IT!!!

1) The rear axle bearings are worn, so you will get a new axle set for both sides.

2) The engine was re-manufactured about 6000 miles ago so it will be in good shape. A new clutch and pressure plate was installed at that time too. However, the new fuel injectors may be jammed with old fuel and need cleaning/replacement. Probably just a good cleaning will do, if they don't work.

3) Porsches are known to leak oil from the split crankcase--usually the engine must be dropped (removed from the bottom) and replace seals. However, there is a method to fix the problem without removing the engine. The guys in Georgia will tell you how if I don't have the instructions in the Porsche.

4) The brakes will need to be checked and fluid replaced since it has been such a long time. I replaced the master cylinder (pre 1995).

5) You will get an assorted supply of new rubber seals for doors, removable top, etc. There is also felt for the roof and a rubber cement, if it is still good. There are new sets of points, condenser, distributor cap and other tune-up parts as well.

6) There is also an assorted valve cover gaskets, oil filters, and maybe a valve adjusting tool if memory serves.

7) I replaced the windshield because the old one had a good sandblasting on the way back from Palm Springs according to the previous owner. The windshield is perfect.

In general, the 914 will need a thorough cleaning, oiling, etc. Be sure to check the operation of the brakes, pads, etc.

Here are some things I have questions about.

A) The biggest unknown for me is the area below the battery in the engine compartment. There is corrosion there and that is the tunnel with the leaking gas line, I think. It is also part of the frame. I think it is OK, but it might not be. Looking at the rear it doesn't appear to slope indicating major frame damage, but I mention it to let you know what might be a problem. It can be repaired/replaced by a good body shop. I will call Georgia and get an estimate for replacement parts. Then again, you might get parts from its brothers in those pictures. Don't let this scare you.

B) Rain water flows through the engine grill onto a tray that diverts the water into tubes that run down both sides of the engine compartment and then through metal tubes through the frame to the ground. Those tubes have rubber flaps that sometimes need to be cleaned.

C) One of the bug eye headlights looks to be slightly pushed in by folks pushing on it when the car was rolled onto the moving truck. It might need some minor care. The electric motors that raise and lower the headlights should work OK.

D) I mentioned the shifting. Last time I drove it I had a hard time getting it into the correct gear. The gear shift lever is connected to a long rod going to the transmission. This rod passes through nylon bushings. I may have a set of bushings in the Porsche that haven't been installed. I'm not sure how they are installed, but that set of manuals will be helpful. If you need, you can call Georgia and the guys are very helpful.

E) The tires are quite old and may need to be replaced. They are the ones that came with the car when I bought it. If I still have them in the garage, I will bring the set of original wheels and hubcaps with it too. I know I have the hubcaps in the garage, the wheels are probably in a barn.

At the moment, I can't think of anything else. I'll call Georgia later in the week and ask them about the potential body corrosion and shifting lever info.

One worry I have is running into a tornado and hail on the way. I'd hate to lose both vehicles and trailer.

I had a doctor's appointment today and I mentioned the destiny of the Porsche along with reason for setting the appointment after July. Her vision of giving such a good vehicle to someone who who wouldn't appreciate it was on her mind. I think she wanted it. I'm really glad you will enjoy it.
+Quote Post
markb
post Apr 9 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #12

914less :(

Member No.: 180

Beware! It's an addiction, and there is no cure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Please do tell us where you are. There are a lot of us here in California, and many of us are more than willing to help out in exchange for some (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif)
+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post Apr 9 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #13

Karl M.

QUOTE(markb @ Apr 9 2012, 10:33 PM) *

Beware! It's an addiction, and there is no cure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Please do tell us where you are. There are a lot of us here in California, and many of us are more than willing to help out in exchange for some (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif)

I'm up in the Sierra foothills in Mariposa close to Yosemite.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 10 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #14

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Your pops was smart to buy a trailer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ... jack stands are a required accessory as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

It looks like your dad provided you with some valuable info about the car and pretty good directions for making it road-worthy again. Can't think of much else to add ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

'cept ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 10 2012, 06:44 AM
Post #15

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

What a terrific dad. Very nice car and welcome to the madness. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
OU8AVW
post Apr 10 2012, 08:04 AM
Post #16

Yacht Rigger

Member No.: 9,601
Region Association: Southwest Region

Oh man, driving that thing on the roads up the the Wester Sierra is going to be a treat! Congrats!

+Quote Post
Prospectfarms
post Apr 10 2012, 09:01 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 12,801
Region Association: Upper MidWest

inexpensive necessary work that I didn't see above:

Replace the injector seals and the rubber washers that hold the injectors.

Drain and replace the old brake fluid.

Replace the rubber brake lines when you remove the wheels to change tires, make sure the brake calipers aren't stuck and clean the rotors.

Old or dried gas residue can also mess up the fuel pump. I'd disconnect the plastic fuel lines from under the engine bay and drain old gas from there.

Lube all the moving parts on the deck lids.

Nice car! Love silver.
+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post Apr 10 2012, 10:01 AM
Post #18

Karl M.

QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Apr 10 2012, 08:01 AM) *

inexpensive necessary work that I didn't see above:

Replace the injector seals and the rubber washers that hold the injectors.

Drain and replace the old brake fluid.

Replace the rubber brake lines when you remove the wheels to change tires, make sure the brake calipers aren't stuck and clean the rotors.

Old or dried gas residue can also mess up the fuel pump. I'd disconnect the plastic fuel lines from under the engine bay and drain old gas from there.

Lube all the moving parts on the deck lids.

Nice car! Love silver.

Thanks! This is fantastic information. Just what I needed! My wife has asked me how long this will all take. I showed her some of other folks complete rebuilds and she (always supportive of this car) understands that we've got the good end of a deal.

Again, thanks!
+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post Apr 10 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #19

Karl M.

QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Apr 10 2012, 07:04 AM) *

Oh man, driving that thing on the roads up the the Wester Sierra is going to be a treat! Congrats!

I know---The thought of my commute and taking it out on "special" days to work is something that I am looking forward to.

Also, just to jump up to Yosemite Valley and gander at the rocks with the top off is enough to get me really excited about starting and (most importantly) finishing this project!
+Quote Post
walterolin
post Apr 10 2012, 10:34 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 13,838
Region Association: South East States

Hello kmwvmarip,

Welcome to the addicted. 914's are cool cars, I've owned my 1970
1.7L since 1977. It's currently in mostly small pieces in stacks in my garage, undergoing restoration.

This site has most of the info you will need, in fact it is a mild addictiion just reading the posts here.

The number one thing you should NOT do is try to start it at this time.
The fuel injection runs about 29 lbs of pressure, and there are various rubber lines on the engine. If one of your old lines (usually at the injector) cracks, you will have a fine gasoline mist spraying into the engine compartment just above the exhaust manifolds.

Many years ago when there were more 914s on the road, I saw a couple that died this way.

I always turn on the ignition which starts the fuel pump, and then I get out and look inside the engine compartment for gas before I turn the engine over.

My son and grandson are eying my project and that's where my 'teener will probably go in time.

Walter Olin
Louisville

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:31 PM