Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dad's car comes home. '71 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kmwvmarip
My Dad bought this car in the late mid-80s and it had and has since lead a pampered life. It has been garaged always.

He moved to the east coast and during a visit he asked if I wanted it. I never got to drive it and have had a bunch of really fun memories in it. My sentimentality has gotten the best of me and I said that I would take it. It has not been started and driven in about 10 years. I just cant wait to take it for a spin. Aside from a few very minor door dings, it is in primo condition.

He is going to buy a flatbed trailer and drag it out to Calif this summer. I know, awesome, right?

What threads or suggestions do you have to get this thing running again? Any threads of note?
What things would you do to give it a once over?

Dad bought lots of parts thinking of the future and is coming with lots and lots of stuff including shop manuals.

Car is stock and original. Click to view attachment

Sage advice is appreciated--this will be a learning experience as I am not super motor minded.
RickS
welcome.png

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...t++914++sitting

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...t++914++sitting

Search is your friend. I put in +start +914 +sitting, and selected Titles Only
kmwvmarip
Click to view attachment
Sorry--pics are big...
Lennies914

Congratulations, you'll find all the help you need here.

welcome.png
kmwvmarip
Click to view attachment
kmwvmarip
QUOTE(RickS @ Apr 9 2012, 08:52 PM) *

Thanks for the start! Appreciated!
silver74insocal
AVOID THE NOID!! that is awesome.
congratulations and welcome. welcome.png
LotusJoe
welcome.png
Don't know where your located in California, but I'm here in LA / Orange County. If your close, and need some assistance, I'm more than willing to help.

Joe
oldschool
QUOTE(LotusJoe @ Apr 9 2012, 09:12 PM) *

welcome.png
Don't know where your located in California, but I'm here in LA / Orange County. If your close, and need some assistance, I'm more than willing to help.

Joe

Joe (OT) I would love to go for a ride in that cool Lotus aktion035.gif
Elliot Cannon
welcome.png So, your Dad give you the 914, then says he'll deliver it from back east? Tell your Dad I said, "he is one helluva guy". If it hasn't been run in 10 years, you need to drain ALL the fluids. Change ALL the filters, replace ALL the hoses and check and/or change all the fuel lines. The seals in the brake master cylinder might have dried up and shrunk or gotten brittle. Tires might not be so great iether. Flush out the gas tank, looking for rust at the bottom. There are those here with more expertise than I that can tell you what to do about getting engine started. It might involve Marvel Mystery Oil. lol-2.gif
kmwvmarip
Agreed!

Here is more info cut from an email recently:

I have one rule I found out the hard way...DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WHEN YOU CHARGE IT!!! It has a new alternator because I burned out the diodes when I just connected the charger without disconnecting the battery cables.. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WHEN YOU CHARGE IT!!! DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WHEN YOU CHARGE IT!!!

1) The rear axle bearings are worn, so you will get a new axle set for both sides.

2) The engine was re-manufactured about 6000 miles ago so it will be in good shape. A new clutch and pressure plate was installed at that time too. However, the new fuel injectors may be jammed with old fuel and need cleaning/replacement. Probably just a good cleaning will do, if they don't work.

3) Porsches are known to leak oil from the split crankcase--usually the engine must be dropped (removed from the bottom) and replace seals. However, there is a method to fix the problem without removing the engine. The guys in Georgia will tell you how if I don't have the instructions in the Porsche.

4) The brakes will need to be checked and fluid replaced since it has been such a long time. I replaced the master cylinder (pre 1995).

5) You will get an assorted supply of new rubber seals for doors, removable top, etc. There is also felt for the roof and a rubber cement, if it is still good. There are new sets of points, condenser, distributor cap and other tune-up parts as well.

6) There is also an assorted valve cover gaskets, oil filters, and maybe a valve adjusting tool if memory serves.

7) I replaced the windshield because the old one had a good sandblasting on the way back from Palm Springs according to the previous owner. The windshield is perfect.

In general, the 914 will need a thorough cleaning, oiling, etc. Be sure to check the operation of the brakes, pads, etc.

Here are some things I have questions about.

A) The biggest unknown for me is the area below the battery in the engine compartment. There is corrosion there and that is the tunnel with the leaking gas line, I think. It is also part of the frame. I think it is OK, but it might not be. Looking at the rear it doesn't appear to slope indicating major frame damage, but I mention it to let you know what might be a problem. It can be repaired/replaced by a good body shop. I will call Georgia and get an estimate for replacement parts. Then again, you might get parts from its brothers in those pictures. Don't let this scare you.

B) Rain water flows through the engine grill onto a tray that diverts the water into tubes that run down both sides of the engine compartment and then through metal tubes through the frame to the ground. Those tubes have rubber flaps that sometimes need to be cleaned.

C) One of the bug eye headlights looks to be slightly pushed in by folks pushing on it when the car was rolled onto the moving truck. It might need some minor care. The electric motors that raise and lower the headlights should work OK.

D) I mentioned the shifting. Last time I drove it I had a hard time getting it into the correct gear. The gear shift lever is connected to a long rod going to the transmission. This rod passes through nylon bushings. I may have a set of bushings in the Porsche that haven't been installed. I'm not sure how they are installed, but that set of manuals will be helpful. If you need, you can call Georgia and the guys are very helpful.

E) The tires are quite old and may need to be replaced. They are the ones that came with the car when I bought it. If I still have them in the garage, I will bring the set of original wheels and hubcaps with it too. I know I have the hubcaps in the garage, the wheels are probably in a barn.

At the moment, I can't think of anything else. I'll call Georgia later in the week and ask them about the potential body corrosion and shifting lever info.

One worry I have is running into a tornado and hail on the way. I'd hate to lose both vehicles and trailer.

I had a doctor's appointment today and I mentioned the destiny of the Porsche along with reason for setting the appointment after July. Her vision of giving such a good vehicle to someone who who wouldn't appreciate it was on her mind. I think she wanted it. I'm really glad you will enjoy it.
markb
welcome.png

Beware! It's an addiction, and there is no cure. smile.gif

Please do tell us where you are. There are a lot of us here in California, and many of us are more than willing to help out in exchange for some jsharp.gif
kmwvmarip
QUOTE(markb @ Apr 9 2012, 10:33 PM) *

welcome.png

Beware! It's an addiction, and there is no cure. smile.gif

Please do tell us where you are. There are a lot of us here in California, and many of us are more than willing to help out in exchange for some jsharp.gif

I'm up in the Sierra foothills in Mariposa close to Yosemite.
euro911
Your pops was smart to buy a trailer laugh.gif ... jack stands are a required accessory as well shades.gif

It looks like your dad provided you with some valuable info about the car and pretty good directions for making it road-worthy again. Can't think of much else to add ... confused24.gif

'cept ... welcome.png
Cairo94507
What a terrific dad. Very nice car and welcome to the madness. beerchug.gif
OU8AVW
Oh man, driving that thing on the roads up the the Wester Sierra is going to be a treat! Congrats!

welcome.png
Prospectfarms
inexpensive necessary work that I didn't see above:

Replace the injector seals and the rubber washers that hold the injectors.

Drain and replace the old brake fluid.

Replace the rubber brake lines when you remove the wheels to change tires, make sure the brake calipers aren't stuck and clean the rotors.

Old or dried gas residue can also mess up the fuel pump. I'd disconnect the plastic fuel lines from under the engine bay and drain old gas from there.

Lube all the moving parts on the deck lids.

Nice car! Love silver.
kmwvmarip
QUOTE(Prospectfarms @ Apr 10 2012, 08:01 AM) *

inexpensive necessary work that I didn't see above:

Replace the injector seals and the rubber washers that hold the injectors.

Drain and replace the old brake fluid.

Replace the rubber brake lines when you remove the wheels to change tires, make sure the brake calipers aren't stuck and clean the rotors.

Old or dried gas residue can also mess up the fuel pump. I'd disconnect the plastic fuel lines from under the engine bay and drain old gas from there.

Lube all the moving parts on the deck lids.

Nice car! Love silver.

Thanks! This is fantastic information. Just what I needed! My wife has asked me how long this will all take. I showed her some of other folks complete rebuilds and she (always supportive of this car) understands that we've got the good end of a deal.

Again, thanks!
kmwvmarip
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Apr 10 2012, 07:04 AM) *

Oh man, driving that thing on the roads up the the Wester Sierra is going to be a treat! Congrats!

welcome.png

I know---The thought of my commute and taking it out on "special" days to work is something that I am looking forward to.

Also, just to jump up to Yosemite Valley and gander at the rocks with the top off is enough to get me really excited about starting and (most importantly) finishing this project!
walterolin
Hello kmwvmarip,

Welcome to the addicted. 914's are cool cars, I've owned my 1970
1.7L since 1977. It's currently in mostly small pieces in stacks in my garage, undergoing restoration.

This site has most of the info you will need, in fact it is a mild addictiion just reading the posts here.

The number one thing you should NOT do is try to start it at this time.
The fuel injection runs about 29 lbs of pressure, and there are various rubber lines on the engine. If one of your old lines (usually at the injector) cracks, you will have a fine gasoline mist spraying into the engine compartment just above the exhaust manifolds.

Many years ago when there were more 914s on the road, I saw a couple that died this way.

I always turn on the ignition which starts the fuel pump, and then I get out and look inside the engine compartment for gas before I turn the engine over.

My son and grandson are eying my project and that's where my 'teener will probably go in time.

Walter Olin
Louisville

markb
Something others haven't mentioned, but I find is a must....AAA card.
When I got into owning & working on 30+ year old cars, it's saved my a$$ more than once.
markb
BTW, there are many good vendors here on the list. Your Dad mentioned the one in Georgia, but there are a number of alternatives. And there are many of us who have stashes of parts tucked away. smile.gif
kmwvmarip
Update:
Flat bed has been purchased (thanks, Dad!). Father-in-law just got a big truck to pull a trailer not too long ago and he is here locally--life is good!!!

Pulled out ahead of a 911 Turbo on the twisty commute to work yesterday (clearly tourists as nobody to my knowledge in Mariposa county owns one) and pulled over respectfully pray.gif to let it pass. Drove "behind" it most of the way to work.

I could not stand it as it was a friday and a perfect spring day in the foothills to drive with the top down! I thought of a cool little Porsche caravan.

I am getting really excited!

(however doing too much research and sharing with my Dad and he just mentioned that he really likes that little car and is staring to get some doubts...) biggrin.gif
kmwvmarip
Car starts its long journey 'cross country tomorrow. Keep fingers crossed.
Lennies914
Do you get to keep the trailer too? biggrin.gif

Looks like a great car!
euro911
Not a big deal, just an FYI, but the tits on the bumpers aren't correct for a '71. Fronts came out on '73 models, rears in '74.

Also, don't modify the 'snow plow' rear valance if you decide to change the exhaust/muffler assembly (to something that doesn't fit the hole) ... those early valances are becoming rare.

I always wanted a silver car ... I should have held out (for numerous reasons) for one to show up.

Get working on it aktion035.gif

popcorn[1].gif
kmwvmarip
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 16 2012, 10:13 PM) *

Not a big deal, just an FYI, but the tits on the bumpers aren't correct for a '71. Fronts came out on '73 models, rears in '74.

Also, don't modify the 'snow plow' rear valance if you decide to change the exhaust/muffler assembly (to something that doesn't fit the hole) ... those early valances are becoming rare.

I always wanted a silver car ... I should have held out (for numerous reasons) for one to show up.

Get working on it aktion035.gif

popcorn[1].gif

Wierd. I wonder why that is? The car has both front and rears. This was clearly done by the PO as it has never been swapped out on my watch. (Because I was a kid, I would have watched...) Dang, I like the look w/o tits. Whatev. So be it. Now it has me wondering why that is... sheesh.

Snowplow-- I prefer the look of the rear valence and won't do any mod there. Good info to know in the future. I know how rare parts can be and won't do anything stupid--on purpose.

Thanks for the info. Now with this bumper thing, I have one more thing to research... HA!

kmwvmarip
[quote name='euro911' date='May 16 2012, 10:13 PM' post='1677024']

Are there any other clues? Wasn't the rear chrome bumper shape changed at some point as well? Around the lic plate? I have come across something like that with my research and reading. Not talking about the late adoption of the large, black rubber bumpers.

I wonder if this was a modification or a swap-out or what?
Jeffs9146
What is the Vin#? That will tell you if your bumpers or correct for that year or not!
flippa
I made the journey across country from Boston to LA back in 1991 with my 74 2.0.

Enjoy the trip.
JeffBowlsby
The rear bumper guards are also in the wrong place...thy look like front bumper guards (because they are long), mounted inboard towards the license plate.
Chris H.
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Apr 9 2012, 10:59 PM) *

AVOID THE NOID!! that is awesome.
congratulations and welcome. welcome.png

Yeah man, that and the Rivieras are giving me '80's flashbacks! Looks really cool that way. Good luck with it. DEFINITELY take the advice on changing the seals and fluids...fuel lines are critical since the tunnel lines are the older type (pre...'74 maybe?) and are likely very brittle. Soft lines will be toast as well.
euro911
Yes, the rear 'tits' are mounted too far inboard.

You do have the correct bumper 'style' (or shape) for a '71 (except for the 'tits'). Only the '70 models had the 'sharp edge' depression in the rear bumpers, and those are also pretty rare.

All of this is only important if you want the correct look for a particular year car. Lots of folks change things to their own liking ... some want to modify, some wish to retain originality ... some right down to the gnat's a$$ laugh.gif

I, like many others, have early ('71) bumpers on my late ('75), and my wife's '71 is totally original.

I'd start with the important stuff ... the braking system, then on to the fuel related items and the mechanical issues.
kmwvmarip
WHAT!!!!??? You mean the car of my childhood dreams is not PERFECT?!!

The car I thought was sooooo super cool to be dropped off during Junior High is not pristine? No wonder none of the girls didn't have any crushes on me! Their budding pubescent womanhood could sense that the tits were all wrong. Too many tits. Tits in the wrong place. No wonder the opposite sex has vexed me up until my marvelous marriage--the problem has al had to do with TITS! Why don't we call them "bumpers penninsulas" or some such thing...

This explains everything!

Please, please tell me no more! This is a hard pill to swallow. I am crushed... laugh.gif

Truth: Thanks for the info. I am amazed at the knowledge. (and I have that feeling when one meets their heroes... they are people too, warts and all.)

Plan as it is now: get it running- take care of the fuel system, flush fluids, etc, etc, as mentioned above. Do the mechanical stuff right and take care of the moving parts before other stuff.

Then the lists of "wishes" would be the cosmetic here and there. I don't have a bottomless treasure chest, as nice as that would be.

(Incidentally) How does one deal with proper tit removal after there are holes in the bumper? New bumper? Jus' askin.

rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(kmwvmarip @ May 17 2012, 11:49 PM) *

(Incidentally) How does one deal with proper tit removal after there are holes in the bumper? New bumper? Jus' askin.

The expensive way is to get the holes welded up and re-chrome the bumpers. The cheap way is to find and insert chrome-headed bolts for the holes which make them much less conspicuous. You can also leave them on if you like them... totally up to you. Like Mark says, get it running, stopping, etc, the rest is totally your call.
Jeffs9146

You don't! beerchug.gif

Don't let people influence you just take in all the information and enjoy it! I have seen cars chopped up and turned into franken cars and I have seen concours cars, they are all interesting in thier own way!

euro911
QUOTE(kmwvmarip @ May 17 2012, 09:49 PM) *
"No wonder none of the girls didn't have any crushes on me!" ... "No wonder the opposite sex has vexed me up until my marvelous marriage--the problem has all had to do with TITS! Why don't we call them "bumpers penninsulas" or some such thing..."
Well, in certain applications, they could be referred to as 'snubbers'.

"Snubber: A hydraulic snubber allows for pipe deflection under normal operating conditions. When subjected to an impulse load, the snubber becomes activated and acts as a restraint in order to restrict pipe movement."

"Snub: An act of showing disdain or a lack of cordiality by rebuffing or ignoring someone or something."

So yes, I can see where the situation could have caused you some grief laugh.gif ... Then of course, there's an old adage regarding "tits on a boar", as well as "hind-tit" shades.gif

It's your car, or as I like to refer to it as a 'canvas' ... for you to create anything you desire thumb3d.gif

Can you post your real name? and your general location?

1. I don't know about anybody else, but I'm having a hard time trying to pronounce your screen name unsure.gif laugh.gif

2. We can determine who's in your area if you need some mad scientists technical wizards to physically help you with your car sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Jamie
Didn't your dad warn you that playing with the tits will get you into trouble every time? Leave those tits alone! They look fine on my 73, and they do offer some protection from parking idiots. agree.gif
kmwvmarip
av-943.gif

Too funny. Made my day.

Points well taken...

I hope that the sarcasm made it through. I'm not too worried about it. We'll just keep it between us here that I've got a mutt--wrong bumpers for the year.

Oh, wait--its a 914...lots would think it's a mutt anyway, right? biggrin.gif

Luckily the price was right and I can't be too particular.

I doubt I could really change Dad's car all that much, nor do I really need or want to.

I'll fiddle around with my profile and "reveal" who I am and where I'm from a bit easier.

kmwvmarip
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 17 2012, 07:49 AM) *

What is the Vin#? That will tell you if your bumpers or correct for that year or not!

So, I reckon that is '71.
kmwvmarip
The good:

The car is off the trailer! Tight turn on the driveway precipitated a special purpose vehicle.
Click to view attachment

Dad backs it off the trailer. A bittersweet moment? Or a proud moment? Surely a happy one after driving it all the way across the country. (Car required a good push--no motor with that one.)
Click to view attachment

The youngest gets to help take off the old plates for old times sake. She likes to get on her tippy toes and look in the car window. The car is just her size!
Click to view attachment

All washed up. If it has not been washed for more than a decade it doesn't take just a morning. It takes all day!
Click to view attachment

That was the good...now for the ugly.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
So be it. The price was right...blink.gif
euro911
Looks rough down there ... but repairable. Be sure to check further down the long (you'll need to remove the passenger-side rocker panel).

Top side looks great, and I like the ride height smile.gif
abnrdo
welcome.png

Nice looking car you have there. A nice start with some history too!!

type47
I looked at your to do list and the entry about rear bearings and needing new axles may need correction. The rear bearings can be replaced and the old axles reused. Maybe he was referring to the CV joints but even they can be replaced individually (if you can find replacements). You can replace the CV's and axles as a unit, that is, buy (if you can find them) and axle with CV's already mounted and install the unit. You might check into this so you don't replace parts un-necessarily.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.