Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dad's car comes home. '71 914, Kid who never got to drive the '14 will get the chance with your help.
markb
post Apr 10 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #21

914less :(

Group: Members
Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Something others haven't mentioned, but I find is a must....AAA card.
When I got into owning & working on 30+ year old cars, it's saved my a$$ more than once.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
markb
post Apr 10 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #22

914less :(

Member No.: 180

BTW, there are many good vendors here on the list. Your Dad mentioned the one in Georgia, but there are a number of alternatives. And there are many of us who have stashes of parts tucked away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post Apr 21 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #23

Karl M.

Member No.: 14,354

Update:
Flat bed has been purchased (thanks, Dad!). Father-in-law just got a big truck to pull a trailer not too long ago and he is here locally--life is good!!!

Pulled out ahead of a 911 Turbo on the twisty commute to work yesterday (clearly tourists as nobody to my knowledge in Mariposa county owns one) and pulled over respectfully (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) to let it pass. Drove "behind" it most of the way to work.

I could not stand it as it was a friday and a perfect spring day in the foothills to drive with the top down! I thought of a cool little Porsche caravan.

I am getting really excited!

(however doing too much research and sharing with my Dad and he just mentioned that he really likes that little car and is staring to get some doubts...) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post May 16 2012, 08:44 PM
Post #24

Karl M.

Car starts its long journey 'cross country tomorrow. Keep fingers crossed.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post May 16 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #25

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

Do you get to keep the trailer too? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Looks like a great car!
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 16 2012, 11:13 PM
Post #26

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Not a big deal, just an FYI, but the tits on the bumpers aren't correct for a '71. Fronts came out on '73 models, rears in '74.

Also, don't modify the 'snow plow' rear valance if you decide to change the exhaust/muffler assembly (to something that doesn't fit the hole) ... those early valances are becoming rare.

I always wanted a silver car ... I should have held out (for numerous reasons) for one to show up.

Get working on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post May 17 2012, 05:39 AM
Post #27

Karl M.

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 16 2012, 10:13 PM) *

Not a big deal, just an FYI, but the tits on the bumpers aren't correct for a '71. Fronts came out on '73 models, rears in '74.

Also, don't modify the 'snow plow' rear valance if you decide to change the exhaust/muffler assembly (to something that doesn't fit the hole) ... those early valances are becoming rare.

I always wanted a silver car ... I should have held out (for numerous reasons) for one to show up.

Get working on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Wierd. I wonder why that is? The car has both front and rears. This was clearly done by the PO as it has never been swapped out on my watch. (Because I was a kid, I would have watched...) Dang, I like the look w/o tits. Whatev. So be it. Now it has me wondering why that is... sheesh.

Snowplow-- I prefer the look of the rear valence and won't do any mod there. Good info to know in the future. I know how rare parts can be and won't do anything stupid--on purpose.

Thanks for the info. Now with this bumper thing, I have one more thing to research... HA!

+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post May 17 2012, 05:56 AM
Post #28

Karl M.

[quote name='euro911' date='May 16 2012, 10:13 PM' post='1677024']

Are there any other clues? Wasn't the rear chrome bumper shape changed at some point as well? Around the lic plate? I have come across something like that with my research and reading. Not talking about the late adoption of the large, black rubber bumpers.

I wonder if this was a modification or a swap-out or what?
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 17 2012, 08:49 AM
Post #29

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

What is the Vin#? That will tell you if your bumpers or correct for that year or not!
+Quote Post
flippa
post May 17 2012, 08:59 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,720
Region Association: North East States

I made the journey across country from Boston to LA back in 1991 with my 74 2.0.

Enjoy the trip.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 17 2012, 09:05 AM
Post #31

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

The rear bumper guards are also in the wrong place...thy look like front bumper guards (because they are long), mounted inboard towards the license plate.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 17 2012, 09:17 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Apr 9 2012, 10:59 PM) *

AVOID THE NOID!! that is awesome.
congratulations and welcome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Yeah man, that and the Rivieras are giving me '80's flashbacks! Looks really cool that way. Good luck with it. DEFINITELY take the advice on changing the seals and fluids...fuel lines are critical since the tunnel lines are the older type (pre...'74 maybe?) and are likely very brittle. Soft lines will be toast as well.
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 17 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #33

Yes, the rear 'tits' are mounted too far inboard.

You do have the correct bumper 'style' (or shape) for a '71 (except for the 'tits'). Only the '70 models had the 'sharp edge' depression in the rear bumpers, and those are also pretty rare.

All of this is only important if you want the correct look for a particular year car. Lots of folks change things to their own liking ... some want to modify, some wish to retain originality ... some right down to the gnat's a$$ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I, like many others, have early ('71) bumpers on my late ('75), and my wife's '71 is totally original.

I'd start with the important stuff ... the braking system, then on to the fuel related items and the mechanical issues.
+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post May 17 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #34

Karl M.

WHAT!!!!??? You mean the car of my childhood dreams is not PERFECT?!!

The car I thought was sooooo super cool to be dropped off during Junior High is not pristine? No wonder none of the girls didn't have any crushes on me! Their budding pubescent womanhood could sense that the tits were all wrong. Too many tits. Tits in the wrong place. No wonder the opposite sex has vexed me up until my marvelous marriage--the problem has al had to do with TITS! Why don't we call them "bumpers penninsulas" or some such thing...

This explains everything!

Please, please tell me no more! This is a hard pill to swallow. I am crushed... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Truth: Thanks for the info. I am amazed at the knowledge. (and I have that feeling when one meets their heroes... they are people too, warts and all.)

Plan as it is now: get it running- take care of the fuel system, flush fluids, etc, etc, as mentioned above. Do the mechanical stuff right and take care of the moving parts before other stuff.

Then the lists of "wishes" would be the cosmetic here and there. I don't have a bottomless treasure chest, as nice as that would be.

(Incidentally) How does one deal with proper tit removal after there are holes in the bumper? New bumper? Jus' askin.

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 18 2012, 06:58 AM
Post #35

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post May 18 2012, 07:33 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(kmwvmarip @ May 17 2012, 11:49 PM) *

(Incidentally) How does one deal with proper tit removal after there are holes in the bumper? New bumper? Jus' askin.

The expensive way is to get the holes welded up and re-chrome the bumpers. The cheap way is to find and insert chrome-headed bolts for the holes which make them much less conspicuous. You can also leave them on if you like them... totally up to you. Like Mark says, get it running, stopping, etc, the rest is totally your call.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 18 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #37

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

You don't! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Don't let people influence you just take in all the information and enjoy it! I have seen cars chopped up and turned into franken cars and I have seen concours cars, they are all interesting in thier own way!

+Quote Post
euro911
post May 18 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #38

QUOTE(kmwvmarip @ May 17 2012, 09:49 PM) *
"No wonder none of the girls didn't have any crushes on me!" ... "No wonder the opposite sex has vexed me up until my marvelous marriage--the problem has all had to do with TITS! Why don't we call them "bumpers penninsulas" or some such thing..."
Well, in certain applications, they could be referred to as 'snubbers'.

"Snubber: A hydraulic snubber allows for pipe deflection under normal operating conditions. When subjected to an impulse load, the snubber becomes activated and acts as a restraint in order to restrict pipe movement."

"Snub: An act of showing disdain or a lack of cordiality by rebuffing or ignoring someone or something."

So yes, I can see where the situation could have caused you some grief (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ... Then of course, there's an old adage regarding "tits on a boar", as well as "hind-tit" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

It's your car, or as I like to refer to it as a 'canvas' ... for you to create anything you desire (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Can you post your real name? and your general location?

1. I don't know about anybody else, but I'm having a hard time trying to pronounce your screen name (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

2. We can determine who's in your area if you need some mad scientists technical wizards to physically help you with your car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Jamie
post May 18 2012, 05:40 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

Didn't your dad warn you that playing with the tits will get you into trouble every time? Leave those tits alone! They look fine on my 73, and they do offer some protection from parking idiots. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
kmwvmarip
post May 18 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #40

Karl M.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Too funny. Made my day.

Points well taken...

I hope that the sarcasm made it through. I'm not too worried about it. We'll just keep it between us here that I've got a mutt--wrong bumpers for the year.

Oh, wait--its a 914...lots would think it's a mutt anyway, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Luckily the price was right and I can't be too particular.

I doubt I could really change Dad's car all that much, nor do I really need or want to.

I'll fiddle around with my profile and "reveal" who I am and where I'm from a bit easier.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 02:38 PM