Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What cam to use?, 2.2 six Track/DE car
MikeSpraggi
post Apr 11 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Question for those of you who have been down this road. I have a fresh 2.2 liter six in my track/DE car. I believe I have a cam issue which is another story.

Anyway, I'm thinking about Solex or GE 40 cams and would like hear experience speak. My engine is built on a 7R case, 2.2 L non-counter balanced crank, 84 mm JE P&C's with about 11.0 CR and stock T heads, valves, springs and porting. Reworked Zenith carbs with 32mm venturis and 150 main jets. Don't recall what the idle jets are. MSD 6AL with the MSD Blaster coil. Question is with this setup, would the Solex or GE40 cams be the better choice for the track? Obviously this is not an all out race engine as I do want some semblence of relative longevity. I do not want to go with an "S" cam as they would be too peaky for me. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Apr 11 2012, 04:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,590

My 911 engine is almost the same except it's 2.5L . I have the "SOLEX" grind and it works very well and is not peaky like the "S"
+Quote Post
cambum4
post Apr 17 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,057
Region Association: None

hows is the new track car coming?

Bill Smith
+Quote Post
larryM
post Apr 17 2012, 08:25 PM
Post #4

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

this is discussed ad infinitum on the pelican engine forums - just do a search there on cams -

many opinions there would suggest considering DRC DC30's as a good choice

http://www.drcamshafts.com/

fwiw - John is kinda slow about delivering - so take that into consideration

+Quote Post
toolguy
post Apr 17 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

I had a 2.0 six with e pistons and solex cams on T heads and valves. . . the solex cams come on around 3500 and pull hard to 7400 with stock valve springs and factory shim settings. . a little lumpy off idle . . it was a good time trial engine. . . IIRC, I ahd a 2.2 911T with E cams. . it was good from 3000 to almost 7000. . . . . . I just did my 2.0 six with E cams from DRC, they are a lot happier at lower RPMs. . Just remember to cut valve pockets for the higher lift and duration
But I got to ask about your carbs. . and jets. . . that sounds a little rich for a 2 liter. . . how does it run and what do the plugs look like ??
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:07 AM