Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What cam to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeSpraggi
Question for those of you who have been down this road. I have a fresh 2.2 liter six in my track/DE car. I believe I have a cam issue which is another story.

Anyway, I'm thinking about Solex or GE 40 cams and would like hear experience speak. My engine is built on a 7R case, 2.2 L non-counter balanced crank, 84 mm JE P&C's with about 11.0 CR and stock T heads, valves, springs and porting. Reworked Zenith carbs with 32mm venturis and 150 main jets. Don't recall what the idle jets are. MSD 6AL with the MSD Blaster coil. Question is with this setup, would the Solex or GE40 cams be the better choice for the track? Obviously this is not an all out race engine as I do want some semblence of relative longevity. I do not want to go with an "S" cam as they would be too peaky for me. Thanks.
Phoenix-MN
My 911 engine is almost the same except it's 2.5L . I have the "SOLEX" grind and it works very well and is not peaky like the "S"
cambum4
hows is the new track car coming?

Bill Smith
larryM
this is discussed ad infinitum on the pelican engine forums - just do a search there on cams -

many opinions there would suggest considering DRC DC30's as a good choice

http://www.drcamshafts.com/

fwiw - John is kinda slow about delivering - so take that into consideration

toolguy
I had a 2.0 six with e pistons and solex cams on T heads and valves. . . the solex cams come on around 3500 and pull hard to 7400 with stock valve springs and factory shim settings. . a little lumpy off idle . . it was a good time trial engine. . . IIRC, I ahd a 2.2 911T with E cams. . it was good from 3000 to almost 7000. . . . . . I just did my 2.0 six with E cams from DRC, they are a lot happier at lower RPMs. . Just remember to cut valve pockets for the higher lift and duration
But I got to ask about your carbs. . and jets. . . that sounds a little rich for a 2 liter. . . how does it run and what do the plugs look like ??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.