Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help me find my short!
AZ914
post Oct 4 2004, 11:28 AM
Post #1

914 Dumbass

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey all!

I was driving the teener to Target on Saturday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) when I noticed my RPM guage was sitting at about 1K (I know I was up around 3K). Then I see my temp guage is lower than normal, etc. Then all my guages go dead (except for the speedo of course). The faint glow of the GENERATOR light is on.

Once I get to Target I take a look at the fuse box... FUSE 9 is blown. I figure, no biggie, I haven't changed these fuses in years. So I load a new '8' into FUSE 9. Drive around some more and it shorts out again in about 10-15 miles.

Anyways, just wondering if there are any 'obvious' issues with a blown FUSE 9 on a '75 that anyone has seen before I start testing everything....

Also, anyone have a list of whats on FUSE 9? My Clymers guide wasn't too descriptive....

THX for any help!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Oct 4 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #2

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I believe that fuse #9 is backup lights, stop lights and maybe rear turn signals.

I'd check for a short back there in your wiring.

Hope this helps,
Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

P.S. Post again if this doesn't sort it out.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Oct 4 2004, 02:55 PM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Been there. Turned out to be the wire to the reverse lights were shorting on the top of the heat exchanger.
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Oct 4 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #4

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thanks... I'll try to check that tonight... now if I wasn't using reverse.. I wouldn't think it would short.. maybe the blinkers did it...
+Quote Post
brp914
post Oct 4 2004, 08:54 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

Also been there. Stepping on brake would cause alternator light to go bright red, gauges drop to zero. Thought possibly break light switch, but turned out to be wire to engine compartment light hanging down. Good luck with that.

Meanwhile, for purposes of comiseration and amusement. Here's a bad one that happened to me. Plastic rivet holding front side marker light broke while driving. Light dangled by wire thru hole in fender. Fender hole sawed thru insulation causing short. Fuse didn't blow. Instead, wire melted inside loom gaining access to other wires and their fuses. Process snowballed until entire loom for the front of the car was destroyed. Made new loom, but hard because most of color coded wire was gone.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 05:55 AM