Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me find my short!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AZ914
Hey all!

I was driving the teener to Target on Saturday driving.gif when I noticed my RPM guage was sitting at about 1K (I know I was up around 3K). Then I see my temp guage is lower than normal, etc. Then all my guages go dead (except for the speedo of course). The faint glow of the GENERATOR light is on.

Once I get to Target I take a look at the fuse box... FUSE 9 is blown. I figure, no biggie, I haven't changed these fuses in years. So I load a new '8' into FUSE 9. Drive around some more and it shorts out again in about 10-15 miles.

Anyways, just wondering if there are any 'obvious' issues with a blown FUSE 9 on a '75 that anyone has seen before I start testing everything....

Also, anyone have a list of whats on FUSE 9? My Clymers guide wasn't too descriptive....

THX for any help!
Rusty
I believe that fuse #9 is backup lights, stop lights and maybe rear turn signals.

I'd check for a short back there in your wiring.

Hope this helps,
Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. Post again if this doesn't sort it out.
TheCabinetmaker
Been there. Turned out to be the wire to the reverse lights were shorting on the top of the heat exchanger.
AZ914
Thanks... I'll try to check that tonight... now if I wasn't using reverse.. I wouldn't think it would short.. maybe the blinkers did it...
brp914
Also been there. Stepping on brake would cause alternator light to go bright red, gauges drop to zero. Thought possibly break light switch, but turned out to be wire to engine compartment light hanging down. Good luck with that.

Meanwhile, for purposes of comiseration and amusement. Here's a bad one that happened to me. Plastic rivet holding front side marker light broke while driving. Light dangled by wire thru hole in fender. Fender hole sawed thru insulation causing short. Fuse didn't blow. Instead, wire melted inside loom gaining access to other wires and their fuses. Process snowballed until entire loom for the front of the car was destroyed. Made new loom, but hard because most of color coded wire was gone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.