Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 904 Gauge Kits - any interest???, Need Silkscreener
Aaron Cox
post Mar 10 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #161

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

thats not cool.

alpha is already funding his operation....... and then someone goes above him?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Mar 10 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #162

My member number is no coincidence.

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2006, 08:41 PM)
thats not cool.

He's getting ripped on the price for just blanks. Powdercoating isn't too expensive. It's going to be the silkscreening that will make these parts of any quality whatsoever.

And nobody should have to be paypaling him in advance. It's customary for metalworking shops to give 30 days for due bills. This is so that companies can make a return on product before having to pay the manufacturers.

Be advised.
+Quote Post
markb
post Mar 11 2006, 01:21 AM
Post #163

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (alpha434 @ Mar 10 2006, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2006, 08:41 PM)
thats not cool.

He's getting ripped on the price for just blanks. Powdercoating isn't too expensive. It's going to be the silkscreening that will make these parts of any quality whatsoever.

And nobody should have to be paypaling him in advance. It's customary for metalworking shops to give 30 days for due bills. This is so that companies can make a return on product before having to pay the manufacturers.

Be advised.

Sorry if we pissed you guys off, but you've been talking about this for a LONG time with no results. If I can get even a blank faced kit, I'll take it.
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 11 2006, 02:45 AM
Post #164

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I agree.

There are many who have waited for a very long time for these to be available.

There have been several "attempts".

I'm making them available.

It's just that simple.

If you want to make these kits, then DO IT.

I'm having a run of them made and they will ship in 2 weeks, and I'm taking orders NOW!

If I can figure out a way to have the silkscreening done (that looks better than the last kits I saw) then they will be done that way as well, but for now I'm selling them as blanks.

Anyone interested, please let me know.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 11 2006, 07:20 AM
Post #165

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Whoever gets it done, nice quality,WITH the silkscreening, gets my money. Alpha I wish you the best and hopefully you will get it done. I'm sticking with you for now because I know all the werk that has gone into this original project and you seem to be trying to get the silkscreening figured out. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 11 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #166

rust free you say ?

Question. Why not have a stencil made of the various markings and airbrush them onto the faces instead of this silklscreening debacle? Silkscreening has been the problem all along and paint should hold up just fine in the gauge, and if desired could be coverd with a satin clear coat for additional protection.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Mar 12 2006, 09:58 AM
Post #167

rust free you say ?

QUOTE (scotty b @ Mar 11 2006, 05:28 AM)
Question. Why not have a stencil made of the various markings and airbrush them onto the faces instead of this silklscreening debacle? Silkscreening has been the problem all along and paint should hold up just fine in the gauge, and if desired could be coverd with a satin clear coat for additional protection.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) Wouldn't this be easier, cheaper, fastre and just as effective? Only thing would be making the stencil, but I would think alf...... errr alpha (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) could write a CNC program to make a nice accurate on from plastic or a high tech one from Ti. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Mar 12 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #168

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611

Is the process of silk screening on these different then on that of a shirt?
If it's the same, I can get it done.. My neighbor is a graphic artist, and has a guy that can get a real good price. I would just need the art work, and I can send it over to him for a quote.
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Mar 17 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #169

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif) finally got a hold of the silk screener. He has the info, and is working a quote. He said not a problem, he can do em he just needs different ink. He is working on the price, but will be working a deal. I bought his friggin house 5 years ago, I hope would work a deal.
Alpha drop me a line so we can work out the shipping... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Mar 17 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #170

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

let me know if you guys need art.
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Mar 17 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #171

Member No.: 4,653

Just stumbled into this thread. I've been thinking about custom gauge faces as one of the finishing touches to a Subie swap, but being still in the very early stages, haven't pursued it much. One idea I had was going to a place like Front Panel Express. They're oriented towards making front panels for electronic modules, but their capabilities seem pretty generically applicable to making custom gauges.

You download a free Windows application that lets you design a panel, click to get a quote, and order as many (or as few !!!) panels as you want. Prices given for the examples on their website seem pretty reasonable. One of the nice features of the design software is the ability to import HPGL files for drawing/engraving arbitrary text/art on the panel. They offer lots of colors (including black) with several colors of silkscreen (including white, orange). And the text is actually engraved into the panel. One drawback is that the panel material seems to be colored first, and then cut out, so the top surface would be black, and the edge of any cutouts would be raw aluminum.

Anyway, I don't think this is the way to get an exact match to the original, but it seems like it might be a cool way to make a custom modern gauge(coolant temp, rich/lean, ...) that fits in with the original panel styling.
+Quote Post
LouisCypher
post May 3 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #172

Member No.: 3,591

Is there any update on the kits? Are they being made or already available?

Cheers,

Louis
+Quote Post

9 Pages V « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 01:48 AM