Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 904 Gauge Kits - any interest???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
914forme
Okay a recent post got people interested in this item once again. So since I did part of the orginal kit, I thought I would offer up to do them again.

Price I am not sure yet, shooting for below $100 shipped, will try to make it less than that.

So here you go what all is in the kit and what is not.

Backing plate, silver cadium plated, laser cut so acuracy is with in 0.0001" not bad. My plater does this stuff plating for a lot of space and aviation industry people.

Front Plate - CNC milled to get the bevel into the face. Powder coated, then the faces are silk screened. I make them with out the hole drilled for the silver button, I provide a template for use if you want to drill it. Or I may just have a batch made with some holes and some with out. The face will then be screened with the gauge names onto it.

It will have a gound spade lug, instructions, and great care and packing.

So if you have interest let me know I will start the ball rolling, which I have already done, I have the Machinist, platter and powder-coater all lined up. So what am I missing??????

A silk-screener - I need a excellent silk screener, recommendations are allowed, needs to be high quality, and professional.

Okay if you are interested I will start a list here, this will be a 914 club exclusive. But once they are gone, I will do this only this time. Twice is a too much.

So let me know your interest and if you want the center dot cut out or make it a flat panel.

Pictures to follow latter tonight once I get some new ones.

Thanks, Stephen
bondo
I want one! Is there an easy way to make it fuel, oil pressure and water temp? (V8 conversion) What guages fit in it? Is the scale on the guages part of the kit, or is that part of the guage? (I've never had one apart) From the pics in the other thread they look real nice.
bondo
Oh, and I'd want the silver button type, but wouldn't mind drilling the hole myself.
ppickerell
I have single color silk screen capability in my shop as well as lser cutting and CNC machining. I alos have excellent platers and powdercoaters local.
AndrewBlyholder
Count me in as interested. I think I know what this will look like, but I'd like to see your pictures to confirm. Where is the previous thread?

Thanks,
Andrew
bondo
QUOTE(AndrewBlyholder @ Oct 4 2004, 01:46 PM)
Count me in as interested. I think I know what this will look like, but I'd like to see your pictures to confirm. Where is the previous thread?

Thanks,
Andrew

Previous thread
Mark Henry
If it's done the same (or better) as the old bird kit...I'm in!
lapuwali
Bondo,

The gauges in the 914 and 911 combo gauges, consist of the gauge modules that have the face, the needle, and the guts that drive the needle. The mentioned kit (and the NH/PA Speedo units) take these modules and fit them all into one case. If you use 911 numbered gauges, you get gauges with numbers, requiring 911 senders. You can use the 911 oil temp gauge and sender for water, though you're not likely to use more than the lower third of the gauge unless you've got serious overheating problems. The 911 oil pressure gauge also reads way up there (10 bar or 150 psi).
machina
kind of a hijack chowtime.gif (can't find hijack smile)

but I'm in the middle of making new gauge faces for oil temp, psi and tach.

I really wanted the dial with the silver button in the middle so I had to take apart the stock unit and cut out the plastic light shroud from the face.

The new faces are just printed on adhesive vinyl. Good for about 1 year in direct sun or pretty much forever if you keep the car inside.

Had to change the tach to extend rpm range and put new redline.

No, those aren't pirated 914club graphics. rolleyes.gif
echocanyons
I am interested in one with the silver button.

Thanks for doing this smilie_pokal.gif
Aaron Cox
i am in....
Root_Werks
Assembled this kit before. Silver button, count me in. If you do this, thanks in advance. I remember what a PITA it was for you last time. But the product turned out awesome! I already have my 911 donor gauge! mueba.gif
machina
QUOTE(bondo @ Oct 4 2004, 04:29 PM)
Oh, and I'd want the silver button type, but wouldn't mind drilling the hole myself.

Be aware that the silver center button is riveted or swaged in place. Not so easy to remove and re-install. I was going to remove it and install it in my donor 911 gauge but it looked too dicy.
anthony
Interested!
AndrewBlyholder
Having seen the pictures, I'm a definite now.

Andrew
bjorn jacobson
One with a silver button would be awesome! I'm in for one.
914helo
Get me down for another one with the silver. Thanks for all the hard work putting this together.
plas76targa
Stephen,

Count me in. I had PM'd you on the earlier post.
What's the difference with the silver button you mention, with or with out? confused24.gif

Thx,
RD Evans
Please add me to the list!
Carrera916
boldblue.gif YES!

Count me in...maybe two!

j aktion035.gif
lagunero
I'm in for one! Silver button.
markb
Me too! Me too!

Silver button, please.
drew365
I don't need one, but here's a pic of mine I built from an old bird kit. I hope this kit will use the newer style modules instead of the old spade with paper isolators. They were a real pain to put together.
ynotdd
I will take one !! silver button please. What year 911 gauges work with it? This comes at a great time oil temp , pressure gauges are on my winter project list!! Thanks !!!! aktion035.gif flag.gif
Root_Werks
I will see if I can dig up some old pic's and scan them. The one I did was pretty straight forward. I think pretty much any 911 combo gauge works as you just need the gauges from it. Basically you take this kit, your 914 gauge and a 911 combo gauge to make the 904 style gauge. About the only tools you would need would be a Dremel and 2-part epoxy glue. The instructions would tell the rest of the story. Something to do while watching the news after dinner one night.

I am excited! Can't wait! mueba.gif boldblue.gif
fiid
Hijack question: Anyone know where I can get a console size fuel guage? (i.e. 2 1/4 or something?? )

Tanks,

Fiid.
machina
QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 5 2004, 10:23 AM)
Hijack question: Anyone know where I can get a console size fuel guage? (i.e. 2 1/4 or something?? )

egauges.com
cgnj
Hi,
I assembled one of the old kits.
[QUOTE]I hope this kit will use the newer style modules instead of the old spade with paper isolators. They were a real pain to put together.
agree.gif

I think it would be much easier if it would accept the late fuel guage and if the front plate had the "hooks" instead of cutting them from the donor guages and gluing them on. I modified the the backing plate so I could use a late guage.

I'd buy another for the 73, maybe two. With or without buttons.

Carlos
Nick
I would like one as well
porschefool
Count me in!
I still want a center console, maybe I'll put the volt, clock (yecchh) and CHT gauges in that. idea.gif
914forme
Front plates with the tabs require a much thiner piece of metal in order to make it work. And a really nice die and press to form it. Mucho more money unless I cut them out by hand and hammer form them myself. Dang that would drive the cost up also.

I was working on a design that would use the orginal face cut out and bonded to it. But that is a process that I gave up on for the problem of cutting the whole thing out. But I am open to suggestions on improvement and the like. I will see what I can do to make the kit more assembly friendly.

And yes they are the same quality as the Old Bird kits - they where the same kits! But adding the new style connector is something I have thought about, will see what I can do.

Thanks everybody, it is well on the way, keep everyone informed here.
JFJ914
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 5 2004, 07:55 PM)
Front plates with the tabs require a much thiner piece of metal in order to make it work. And a really nice die and press to form it. Mucho more money unless I cut them out by hand and hammer form them myself. Dang that would drive the cost up also.

I built one of the old kits, if you reduce the OD of the face plate it will fit inside the donor face plate. That way, after you nibble away the old you will be left with a ring with the tabs still attached. This makes it much easier to mount the new face plate.

I second the motion to modify the back plate to use the modular fuel gauge. The old style is a real PITA. the forks broke off on mine resulting in a real kludge.

You don't need the ground lug, ground is provided through the ground tabs on the temp and pressure gauges through the mounting screws to the case.

The silver button comes off easily if you drill the back swedge off. A little epoxy and it's as good as new.

Great idea to make the button hole optional, I have a 74 and painted it black.
horizontally-opposed
Count me in for another kit, as well. This is something to have on the shelf for whenever I have the money to build the Type IV I've always wanted.

And that will be... idea.gif

pete
cgnj
I built one of the old kits, if you reduce the OD of the face plate it will fit inside the donor face plate. That way, after you nibble away the old you will be left with a ring with the tabs still attached. This makes it much easier to mount the new face plate.

Thats the answer.

Carlos
914forme
That is exactly how I designed the orginal ones, when I sent them off to the coast, they decieded they wanted the orginal setup. But if every body likes the idea of slightly smaller dia. Then That is what I will do again, and go with my orginal plans. Glad to see somebody else thought of that one and went for it.

Finishing up the designs will be sending out for final quotes, let every one know once I get it all nailed down.

Thanks for all the great ideas, and confirmation that mine work also.

Take care, Stephen
Steve
QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 5 2004, 06:23 AM)
Hijack question:  Anyone know where I can get a console size fuel guage? (i.e. 2 1/4 or something??  )

Tanks,

Fiid.

I bought mine from AA.

BTW I will also take one.
I need to look at my car and see if it has silver buttons.
Its a 75 I think everything is black buttons.
froggie
Me too! I want one! boldblue.gif
a914luvr
I'll take one
ynotdd
whats up with the gauge kit is it still going into production? flag.gif
Root_Werks
If it is like last time, it will take Stephen a while to put things together. But he is a good guy and will let us know the status on things. wink.gif

I want one.

I was going to go with a Getti dash, but now I will send my 914 dash to Dr. Evil, build this gauge and life will be grand! boldblue.gif
dinomium
agree.gif
yah what he said! right after I paint and put mine back together... some time.....
alfred.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(dinomium @ Oct 12 2004, 01:13 PM)
agree.gif
yah what he said! right after I paint and put mine back together... some time.....
alfred.gif

Well hurry up slap.gif will yah!
anderssj
Count me in too (if I'm not too late) . . . hole for silver button, please.

Best!

Steve A-
dinomium
icon_bump.gif
so what was the vertic?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(dinomium @ Oct 25 2004, 03:55 PM)
icon_bump.gif
so what was the vertic?

you mean the "verdict" wink.gif
dinomium
me amboo dogface to the bananna patch?
914forme
Still gathering prices, got one last call and a couple of e-mails I am waiting on, then I will make the decision if I want to go at this again. But from what I have so far it is looking like a go for a good fall project. But I won't nail a time line yet and have to eat crow for it latter. I hate crow! biggrin.gif
agrump
I'm not sure if this is dead or not but I would be in for one with the silver button.
Root_Werks
Aaaaaaaaaaaaron, when you guys are ready, so is my check book. IPB Image

Non silver button if there will be a choice. IPB Image
propricer
Count me in for at least 1 V8 version - if such an animal is planned !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.