Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gearbox case opinion
Montreal914
post Apr 16 2012, 07:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Hello everyone,

I'm currently rebuilding my gearbox, thanks to Dr Evil video, but I'm facing this situation:

I have two gearbox:

One has a case that is corroded inside (differential area) see picture and I'm questioning it's usage. I believe this case was leaking but I don't have a confirmation. I've put a puddle of brake cleaner fluid and let it sit for a couple of hours last night to see if it was going through the pores but the underside stayed dry.

The other one has a main seal that started leaking a few weeks/months after my mechanics had replaced it. Looking at the input shaft's sealing surface, it's not as nice as the shaft from the corroded case one.

From what I understand, it's better to keep things together and only replace the wearing parts (bands, dogteeth, sliders).

Recommendations (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thank you, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 16 2012, 11:07 PM
Post #2

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You can swap shafts as long as you also swap the 2nd gear with it as a set. The corrosion in the box is not a problem if it is not all the way through.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Apr 16 2012, 11:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

OK, I understand the second gear issue (we already established the gear matching in a previous discussion). But if I swap the input shaft I don't want to mix the intermediade plate because this will have an influence on the pinion shaft position in relation with the differential, correct?

If I remove the input shaft from the intermediate plate (not sure I remember seeing that in you video) I will want to use the matching bearing races to the bearing. Basically, always match working contact surfaces.

Thanks for the help, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 06:41 AM