Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gearbox case opinion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Montreal914
Hello everyone,

I'm currently rebuilding my gearbox, thanks to Dr Evil video, but I'm facing this situation:

I have two gearbox:

One has a case that is corroded inside (differential area) see picture and I'm questioning it's usage. I believe this case was leaking but I don't have a confirmation. I've put a puddle of brake cleaner fluid and let it sit for a couple of hours last night to see if it was going through the pores but the underside stayed dry.

The other one has a main seal that started leaking a few weeks/months after my mechanics had replaced it. Looking at the input shaft's sealing surface, it's not as nice as the shaft from the corroded case one.

From what I understand, it's better to keep things together and only replace the wearing parts (bands, dogteeth, sliders).

Recommendations sad.gif

Thank you, smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Dr Evil
You can swap shafts as long as you also swap the 2nd gear with it as a set. The corrosion in the box is not a problem if it is not all the way through.
Montreal914
OK, I understand the second gear issue (we already established the gear matching in a previous discussion). But if I swap the input shaft I don't want to mix the intermediade plate because this will have an influence on the pinion shaft position in relation with the differential, correct?

If I remove the input shaft from the intermediate plate (not sure I remember seeing that in you video) I will want to use the matching bearing races to the bearing. Basically, always match working contact surfaces.

Thanks for the help, beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.