Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Procedure to remove rocker panel covers
roundboy914
post Oct 5 2004, 03:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,251

So all this talk about the jack stand points, and now i am worried about the amount of dirt and or rust hiding behind my dented side rocker covers, which are also peeling like a mofo.
I removed the phillips head screws around the door openning, are ther more screws that attach underneath?
The cover seems loose, but before i start a yankin', i want to insure that i am not missing anything.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
Carl
post Oct 5 2004, 04:11 PM
Post #2

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163
Region Association: Northern California

There are ~four or five hex-head sheet metal screws on the bottom edge. One just to the rear of the front wheel, one just ahead of the rear wheel and the others along the bottom edge in between.

C
+Quote Post
STL914
post Oct 5 2004, 04:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Besides the screws you have already removed, there is one in the front wheel well and one in the rear well, at the ends of the rocker panels. Plus, if you look under the panel you will see 4 or 5 rivets or screws. If rivets, just drill out the heads.

The factory used rivets to secure the panels, but many owners have replaced the rivets with screws to make it easier to remove and replace the panels for maintenance reasons.

Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
smg914
post Oct 5 2004, 04:12 PM
Post #4

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695
Region Association: None

There should be 3 cheese head type screws on the bottom of each rocker panel. Also inside the each front fender well and the each rear fender well should be a very small self taping bolt that secures the rocker panel to the lower finders.
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Oct 5 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #5

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif) then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) then more (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) and finally (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

or just read above posts that dont include (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

scott thacher
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Oct 5 2004, 08:03 PM
Post #6

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE(smg914 @ Oct 5 2004, 05:12 PM)
There should be 3 cheese head type screws on the bottom of each rocker panel. Also inside the each front fender well and the each rear fender well should be a very small self taping bolt that secures the rocker panel to the lower finders.

He nailed it! replace the cheese heads with hex head bolts. You may find a nut and bolt in the fender wells if they have been off before. If the top side has phillips screws instead of rivets, then they have been removed before.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 06:02 AM