Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Procedure to remove rocker panel covers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roundboy914
So all this talk about the jack stand points, and now i am worried about the amount of dirt and or rust hiding behind my dented side rocker covers, which are also peeling like a mofo.
I removed the phillips head screws around the door openning, are ther more screws that attach underneath?
The cover seems loose, but before i start a yankin', i want to insure that i am not missing anything.
Carl
There are ~four or five hex-head sheet metal screws on the bottom edge. One just to the rear of the front wheel, one just ahead of the rear wheel and the others along the bottom edge in between.

C
STL914
Besides the screws you have already removed, there is one in the front wheel well and one in the rear well, at the ends of the rocker panels. Plus, if you look under the panel you will see 4 or 5 rivets or screws. If rivets, just drill out the heads.

The factory used rivets to secure the panels, but many owners have replaced the rivets with screws to make it easier to remove and replace the panels for maintenance reasons.

Hope this helps.
smg914
There should be 3 cheese head type screws on the bottom of each rocker panel. Also inside the each front fender well and the each rear fender well should be a very small self taping bolt that secures the rocker panel to the lower finders.
scotty914
smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif then givemebeer.gif then welder.gif more beer3.gif then more welder.gif and finally beer.gif

or just read above posts that dont include beer3.gif

scott thacher
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(smg914 @ Oct 5 2004, 05:12 PM)
There should be 3 cheese head type screws on the bottom of each rocker panel. Also inside the each front fender well and the each rear fender well should be a very small self taping bolt that secures the rocker panel to the lower finders.

He nailed it! replace the cheese heads with hex head bolts. You may find a nut and bolt in the fender wells if they have been off before. If the top side has phillips screws instead of rivets, then they have been removed before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.