Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How light could it be?, 1200 lbs?
siverson
post May 8 2003, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

I'm wrapping up my current 4-year 914 project (3.6, 915, GT flares, 993TT brakes, etc), and thinking about the next... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Seriously, I like how my car is turning out, but there are things I'd do differently next time. My car will be nice, but pretty heavy as far as 914s go. The 3.6, 915, headers with heat, big brakes, roll bar, chassis reinforcements, leather, have all added significant weight. The only weight discount I've used is carbon fiber front and rear lids.

So, in an attempt to start an interesting thread, and in converse to my current project, how light could a streetable, but strong autocross and occasional track 914/6 be? 1600 lbs? 1200 lbs?

1200 lbs might seem ridiculous, but why not? Start with a 914, build a full tube frame, cut away nearly all the metal (basically just use the donor car for dimensions) and add back a carbon fiber body. The carbon fiber work at GT Racing is so nice, you probably wouldn't even need to paint it (and save more weight in the process). What's the best (lightest/strongest) material to build such a frame out of? What would be the best engine of choice? Something like:

early chassis
2.7 six
ERP-style suspension
15x7 and 15x8 Fuchs
fixed headlights in front bumper
small fuel cell
stock seats, aluminum floors, minimal dash
all lexan windows except for windshield
carbon fiber body parts, no paint

Any ideas?

-Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:28 PM