Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trim paint scheme, need pics.
DougC
post Oct 12 2004, 09:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,307

I'm thinking about a couple of options for painting my trim pieces on my tangerine colored 914(GT bodied). I'll definately be painting my window and windshield trim satin black, that I know and the roof will be smoothed and painted tangerine. What I'm undecided on is this: trim pieces around the rear window around the perimeter of the opening - should I go black or tangerine with those? Also confused on bumper and valance/rocker panel color combination... I'm thinking satin black rockers/valances with tangerine (body colored) bumpers topped with the black rubber strips. Will be using stripped aluminum Fuchs wheels. I looked through the long "nailed" thread 'what does your 914 look like' and didn't find any example that would help..but I know I've seen cars with these features before - Anyone have pictures to share that would help? TIA!

Doug C
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Oct 12 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #2

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'd go black powdercoat... that will look sweet!
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Oct 12 2004, 12:16 PM
Post #3

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Funny, I was thinking the same thing this morning but the change of color on trim would be to go from black on the Orange car to an off white or light beige. Saw a custom 52 Chevy PU done like that and it looked great. Just change everything from black to off white & it'd be brighter & cleaner looking.

.....b
+Quote Post
STL914
post Oct 12 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'd go along with tat2dphreak's comments. The satin black would be a sharp contrast to the signal orange. It's actually similar to many European 914s where the chrome trim, including the mirror and door handles were black.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Oct 13 2004, 06:58 AM
Post #5

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

take some digital photographs. print them on a color printer. get some felt-tip markers, and play paint-by-numbers to help visualise your various schemes...
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Oct 13 2004, 07:05 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I've also been thing about black powder coated trim on my orange car. I've also thought about painting the smooth top and sail panels a gloss black.

What do you think??

Bob
+Quote Post
DougC
post Oct 13 2004, 08:53 AM
Post #7

Bigkat - my original (textured) top was painted a gloss black by the PO. It is still textured but is a sharp glossy black.. I think it looks great against the tangerine orange color of the car. I am planning to do the opposite though, I'll be smoothing my top and painting it to match the car. I'd suggest a trade but I think your car is Nepal Orange right? OH, and as for powdercoating the trim pieces, I don't think it's necessary to go to the expense of having them powdercoated. I've scuffed up all my trim and will be using Rustoleum Hardhat primer them painting them with 2 coats of Mar-Hide 'Satin Black', I've done this on a couple BMWs and it's always turned out perfect and lasted well.

Doug C
+Quote Post
STL914
post Oct 13 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've scuffed up all my trim and will be using Rustoleum Hardhat primer them painting them with 2 coats of Mar-Hide 'Satin Black', I've done this on a couple BMWs and it's always turned out perfect and lasted well.

Doug,

Would this process work well with chrome plated parts, such as door handles and OEM mirrors?
+Quote Post
DougC
post Oct 21 2004, 03:51 PM
Post #9

Gary, I'd probably scuff up the surface real good AND use some self-etching primer.

Doug C
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:15 PM