Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trim paint scheme
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
I'm thinking about a couple of options for painting my trim pieces on my tangerine colored 914(GT bodied). I'll definately be painting my window and windshield trim satin black, that I know and the roof will be smoothed and painted tangerine. What I'm undecided on is this: trim pieces around the rear window around the perimeter of the opening - should I go black or tangerine with those? Also confused on bumper and valance/rocker panel color combination... I'm thinking satin black rockers/valances with tangerine (body colored) bumpers topped with the black rubber strips. Will be using stripped aluminum Fuchs wheels. I looked through the long "nailed" thread 'what does your 914 look like' and didn't find any example that would help..but I know I've seen cars with these features before - Anyone have pictures to share that would help? TIA!

Doug C
tat2dphreak
I'd go black powdercoat... that will look sweet!
Bruce Allert
Funny, I was thinking the same thing this morning but the change of color on trim would be to go from black on the Orange car to an off white or light beige. Saw a custom 52 Chevy PU done like that and it looked great. Just change everything from black to off white & it'd be brighter & cleaner looking.

.....b
STL914
I'd go along with tat2dphreak's comments. The satin black would be a sharp contrast to the signal orange. It's actually similar to many European 914s where the chrome trim, including the mirror and door handles were black.
ArtechnikA
take some digital photographs. print them on a color printer. get some felt-tip markers, and play paint-by-numbers to help visualise your various schemes...
BIGKAT_83
I've also been thing about black powder coated trim on my orange car. I've also thought about painting the smooth top and sail panels a gloss black.

What do you think??

Bob
DougC
Bigkat - my original (textured) top was painted a gloss black by the PO. It is still textured but is a sharp glossy black.. I think it looks great against the tangerine orange color of the car. I am planning to do the opposite though, I'll be smoothing my top and painting it to match the car. I'd suggest a trade but I think your car is Nepal Orange right? OH, and as for powdercoating the trim pieces, I don't think it's necessary to go to the expense of having them powdercoated. I've scuffed up all my trim and will be using Rustoleum Hardhat primer them painting them with 2 coats of Mar-Hide 'Satin Black', I've done this on a couple BMWs and it's always turned out perfect and lasted well.

Doug C
STL914
I've scuffed up all my trim and will be using Rustoleum Hardhat primer them painting them with 2 coats of Mar-Hide 'Satin Black', I've done this on a couple BMWs and it's always turned out perfect and lasted well.

Doug,

Would this process work well with chrome plated parts, such as door handles and OEM mirrors?
DougC
Gary, I'd probably scuff up the surface real good AND use some self-etching primer.

Doug C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.