Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Chasing a short blowing fuse 7
Geezer914
post May 30 2012, 05:56 AM
Post #1

Geezer914

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

Attached ImageThis is on a 75 914. I have found the wire causing the short blowing fuse 7. It is on the back of the headlight switch on post 56b. There are 3 black/blue stripe wires and 1 black/purple stripe wire connected together. It is the black/purple stripe wire on the far right. I can't find it on the circut diagram to see what it goes to????? Can anyone help? Thanks
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
914Bryan
post May 30 2012, 08:01 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,162
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ May 30 2012, 04:56 AM) *

Attached ImageThis is on a 75 914. I have found the wire causing the short blowing fuse 7. It is on the back of the headlight switch on post 56b. There are 3 black/blue stripe wires and 1 black/purple stripe wire connected together. It is the black/purple stripe wire on the far right. I can't find it on the circut diagram to see what it goes to????? Can anyone help? Thanks

Hit up Jeff Blowsby.. He knows the electronics of these cars better than anyone.. He helped me with my 74.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 30 2012, 08:04 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i have a 75' with an unmolested fuse panel. i'll drop it down and post some pictures for you later today.

k
+Quote Post
ww914
post May 30 2012, 08:19 AM
Post #4

914 Convert

Member No.: 13,621
Region Association: Central California

Here's what I have found so far:

Counting from the left, the #7 fuse is the license plate light, however the book shows it being fed with a GY wire from post K.
I cannot find a post 56b on my diagram, nor can I find any BK/PU wire on the headlight switch for a 75. The only BK/PU wire I could find is one going to the windshield wiper. For that matter I cannot find any BK/Bl wires coming from the headlight switch.

Sorry, not much help here.
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post May 30 2012, 08:42 AM
Post #5

Geezer914

Dr. 914 chimed in on the other site. It is comming from the coil giong to the tach and heater temp light? I had a problem with the tach wire shorting out the coil, also blach/purple stripe, so bypassed the black/ purple stripe wire and ran a new wire from the coil to the tach. I had no idea the same wire was hooked up to the headlight switch and would cause other problems. Wierd! Disconected the black/purple wire and reconected the 3 black/blue wires to the headlight switch. The tach is working, but no dash lights. Fuse 7 is no longer blowing out. Pulled the dash and the black/purple stripe wire goes to all the dash lights. None of the dash light terminals are insulated, so one must be touching the metal on the dash and causing a short. I used some 1/4" shrink tubing and covered all the bare terminals. Dash lights are back on. All is good.
+Quote Post
falconfp2001
post May 30 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #6

Pancho Pantera

Member No.: 12,456
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was gonna chime in with that also. You do realize that there are two Black with purple wires behind the dash?

1. (-) from coil to tack

2. +12v from wiper switch to wiper motor

Someone who is color blind could have mixed up the wires but that would be the only cause I could think of.
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post May 30 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #7

Geezer914

Wipers work fine. I was having problems with this wire before. Deffinately from the tach & coil.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:12 AM