Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chasing a short blowing fuse 7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
Click to view attachmentThis is on a 75 914. I have found the wire causing the short blowing fuse 7. It is on the back of the headlight switch on post 56b. There are 3 black/blue stripe wires and 1 black/purple stripe wire connected together. It is the black/purple stripe wire on the far right. I can't find it on the circut diagram to see what it goes to????? Can anyone help? Thanks
914Bryan
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ May 30 2012, 04:56 AM) *

Click to view attachmentThis is on a 75 914. I have found the wire causing the short blowing fuse 7. It is on the back of the headlight switch on post 56b. There are 3 black/blue stripe wires and 1 black/purple stripe wire connected together. It is the black/purple stripe wire on the far right. I can't find it on the circut diagram to see what it goes to????? Can anyone help? Thanks

Hit up Jeff Blowsby.. He knows the electronics of these cars better than anyone.. He helped me with my 74.
rhodyguy
i have a 75' with an unmolested fuse panel. i'll drop it down and post some pictures for you later today.

k
ww914
Here's what I have found so far:

Counting from the left, the #7 fuse is the license plate light, however the book shows it being fed with a GY wire from post K.
I cannot find a post 56b on my diagram, nor can I find any BK/PU wire on the headlight switch for a 75. The only BK/PU wire I could find is one going to the windshield wiper. For that matter I cannot find any BK/Bl wires coming from the headlight switch.

Sorry, not much help here.
Geezer914
Dr. 914 chimed in on the other site. It is comming from the coil giong to the tach and heater temp light? I had a problem with the tach wire shorting out the coil, also blach/purple stripe, so bypassed the black/ purple stripe wire and ran a new wire from the coil to the tach. I had no idea the same wire was hooked up to the headlight switch and would cause other problems. Wierd! Disconected the black/purple wire and reconected the 3 black/blue wires to the headlight switch. The tach is working, but no dash lights. Fuse 7 is no longer blowing out. Pulled the dash and the black/purple stripe wire goes to all the dash lights. None of the dash light terminals are insulated, so one must be touching the metal on the dash and causing a short. I used some 1/4" shrink tubing and covered all the bare terminals. Dash lights are back on. All is good.
falconfp2001
I was gonna chime in with that also. You do realize that there are two Black with purple wires behind the dash?

1. (-) from coil to tack

2. +12v from wiper switch to wiper motor

Someone who is color blind could have mixed up the wires but that would be the only cause I could think of.
Geezer914
Wipers work fine. I was having problems with this wire before. Deffinately from the tach & coil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.