Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

26 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sasquatch Part III Audi 1.8t transplant..., PCV upgrades finally...
Andyrew
post Jun 11 2012, 12:38 AM
Post #21

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jun 10 2012, 07:03 PM) *

I have loved the Sasquatch build btw... I actually wanted to comment on the K04 upgrade... If I can talk you out of it, I will try. The turbo is not a good add on for this engine stock. The efficiency is all at the wrong points and often blows these engines. If you want a good upgrade there is an outfit called frankenturbo that builds a hybrid for the 1.8t that is a perfect match. I drive an 02 GTI as my DD and spend a lot of time with these engines. I have thought about this same swap and I am glad to see someone doing it. Can't wait to see the progress!

I agree, This or a Disco Potato (GT2560 aka GT28RS) that was run in the APR stage 3 are wonderful turbo's... The K04 is almost the exact same as a KO3.

Mmmm I love this build (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
andys
post Jun 11 2012, 11:06 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

Here's a photo of an 012 trans with the flanges that are compatible with the Porsche CV's.

Andys

Attached File(s)
Attached File  012_trans.bmp ( 147.32k ) Number of downloads: 298
+Quote Post
smj
post Jun 11 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #23

"Dude, Steve from Berkeley."

Member No.: 4,691

QUOTE(andys @ Jun 11 2012, 09:06 AM) *

Here's a photo of an 012 trans with the flanges that are compatible with the Porsche CV's.

Could you please shrink that image a little more? It's way too big on my 14" CRT monitor... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm going down the road of trying to live with the 901 I've got, but a Boxster/Audi 5 speed swap is of great interest - otherwise I wouldn't give you any grief over this. (Probably.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

Part numbers for those compatible output flanges or adapters? I'll also accept a smack upside the head with a pointer to a build thread...
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 11 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #24

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(smj @ Jun 11 2012, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Jun 11 2012, 09:06 AM) *

Could you please shrink that image a little more? It's way too big on my 14" CRT monitor... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm going down the road of trying to live with the 901 I've got, but a Boxster/Audi 5 speed swap is of great interest - otherwise I wouldn't give you any grief over this. (Probably.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

Part numbers for those compatible output flanges or adapters? I'll also accept a smack upside the head with a pointer to a build thread...

Fixed it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 11 2012, 09:29 PM
Post #25

Resident Electrician

If the flanges are held in with a circlip, they look easy to pop out. Anyone have an Audi PET file with tranny parts?
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Jun 11 2012, 10:58 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,922

Mike you do have ADD, ha! Your 914 is like a drivable engine test stand... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Nice project though, engine swaps are always the fun part.
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Jun 11 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 10,948

Mike,
If i remember correctly the drive flanges just pop out. I just went out and looked at my car and can not remember removing any hidden clips or anything. Pretty sure about that.
Chris
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 11 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #28

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Chris Scott @ Jun 11 2012, 10:15 PM) *

Mike,
If i remember correctly the drive flanges just pop out. I just went out and looked at my car and can not remember removing any hidden clips or anything. Pretty sure about that.
Chris

Is this what they look like?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Jun 12 2012, 12:03 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 10,948

That is what I remember
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 15 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #30

Resident Electrician

Sent the Passat to the wrecking yard today. Fuching tow truck driver stole my wheel chock. They did pick it up for free. Not much left but some interior and suspension. Body was rough, no cherry panels. Glad its gone. Now it's time to clean up the garage and get the 914 inside and stripped apart... again... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Parts heaven wants $100ea for the axle stubs and $250 for the complete Boxster shift setup. This includes all the parts from the PET shifter page. I can get the shifter stuff from ebay cheaper but not complete. It will take weeks/months of waiting for items to pop up online. I can buy a complete but unknown Boxster tranny from ebay for as little as $400 (on a good day). Most have the axle stubs and 1/3 of the shifter parts (Tranny linkage). PH wants $2500 for a Boxster tranny with warranty (no shifter). I think I will wait for the right opportunity to jump on cheap parts. I am a CSOB 914 owner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I do need the Boxster tranny mounts to get started. The Audi mounts interfere with the Boxster shifter. Those are cheap online; About $30 each.

Anybody ever pulled the axle flange on a Boxster or Audi transaxle? No bolts but there is a circlip on the stub In the diff. Not exactly sure how to pull it. Slide hammer? Puller tool? Pry bar? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Jun 16 2012, 01:36 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 15 2012, 10:37 PM) *

Anybody ever pulled the axle flange on a Boxster or Audi transaxle? No bolts but there is a circlip on the stub In the diff. Not exactly sure how to pull it. Slide hammer? Puller tool? Pry bar? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

VW says:

Place a chisel or spacer -A- behind drive flange.
Pull drive flange shaft out of differential gears by turning bolt -B-.

Attached Image

Jim

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 16 2012, 09:46 AM
Post #32

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 16 2012, 12:36 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 15 2012, 10:37 PM) *

VW says:

Place a chisel or spacer -A- behind drive flange.
Pull drive flange shaft out of differential gears by turning bolt -B-.

Attached Image

Jim

I was considering doing this but it think it was the "correct" way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I guess I will go for it... Maybe I'll use 2 so I don't bend anything. Thanks!
+Quote Post
rohar
post Jun 16 2012, 01:08 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 9,685

AWESOME swap!

I did an ABA 16v in a teener last time and it was amazing even using the 914 tranny. I'm guessing the 012 will just put the bow on the package.

If it helps any, I share your ADD. I've got a 3.6l v8 that'll bolt up to that bellhouseing. Needs a clutch solution. You could have it for shipping 'cause the wife limits me to 3 engines in the shop at a time and I've got my eye on something "better".

...gotta poke the ADD...
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 16 2012, 02:33 PM
Post #34

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(rohar @ Jun 16 2012, 12:08 PM) *

AWESOME swap!

I did an ABA 16v in a teener last time and it was amazing even using the 914 tranny. I'm guessing the 012 will just put the bow on the package.

If it helps any, I share your ADD. I've got a 3.6l v8 that'll bolt up to that bellhouseing. Needs a clutch solution. You could have it for shipping 'cause the wife limits me to 3 engines in the shop at a time and I've got my eye on something "better".

...gotta poke the ADD...

Sounds like fun but I have my hands full with this engine. But I should have JRust pick it up and bring it to me. He has to come here anyway...

I have a barely broken in SPEC Stage 3 clutch for a 914 I will be listing in the classifieds soon... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) V8 and big 6 guys... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
stanthedog
post Jun 16 2012, 02:36 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 12,656

Those 1.8T motors can make insane HP. For engine goodies/upgrades, might try Bahn Brenner in bend, Or. He has a corrado with a T motor that makes 480WHP.
John know his sh*t when it comes to water cooled VW/Audi. Sounds like an awesome build, wish I had the patience for a swap like that.
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Jun 16 2012, 02:56 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 839

This one I'm going to have to stop by and see for myself! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
stanthedog
post Jun 16 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 12,656

It's downright scarey to be next to when he starts it up, sounds like nothing iv'e ever heard. rattles windows for 4 blocks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Jun 16 2012, 05:43 PM
Post #38

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

1999 5 spd Boxster M/T in Roseville. $640

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ptd/3056620666.html
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 16 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #39

Resident Electrician

Got the flanges out. Just the the VW manual said to. The shaft looks just like the one I posted above. Seems like an easy swap to Boxster flange. Looks like no need to buy a compltete trans.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 11 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #40

Resident Electrician

Been taking it slow on the conversion. Here's something...

I found a Boxster shifter and cables on ebay super cheap. The hard part to find is the linkage on the tranny. I found one at a local recycler way too expensive. So I ordered some 10mm balls ($4) and with some stuff on hand fabricated the stuff I needed. I had some heim joints and rod, all the bits you see.

Since this is an Audi tranny and not a true Boxster, the threaded boss on the case for the factory pivot is not drilled or tapped. I had to fab a new pivot point and re-align the geometry a little. I used the factory linkage mounting holes to build from and picked up a mount in the rear to carry the pivot point. The pivot I used is a ball bearing adjustable bell crank from a 6-71 blower; Very stout. 3/8 rod and 1/8 flat stock make up the rest. All parts went through a heat treatment with a dirty oil bath.

Here's the working prototype. I plan to move the Neutral gate cable more inboard to reduce the angle a little. This thing shifts super nice! I have 2-3mm of end play on the shifter. I used the Porsche design to inspire me since they did all the R&D for me. I can hardly wait to drive a 914 with a modern transaxle.

Attached Image

Second Gear

Attached Image

Attached Image

I designed the cable bracket to accept the factory locking design. Need to maching deeper and move the divots for the locking clips.

Attached Image

I used 0.75"/0.120" DOM to make the shift bracket. My ghetto hardening gives it a cool blue/black color, stiffens everything up real well.

Attached Image

Re-aligned cable angle

Attached Image
+Quote Post

26 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:51 PM