Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sasquatch Part III Audi 1.8t transplant...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Mike Bellis
I have A.D.D. I admit it. I also can't leave well enough alone. I got really motivated by Andrew Dalen and seeing a 914 with Subie power driving to WCR12 from Idaho. What a beautiful car...
I stumbled on a steal of a deal for a 2001 Passat 1.8t, Audi ATW engine and 5 speed transaxle. Long story short and here you go. New engine cleaned and ready for fab time. The exhaust and turbo have been removed before power washing.

Here is a link to Part I
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry1396734

Part II
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=172455

Click to view attachment

Here is the challenge. The transaxle. Either I fab an adapter, Fab an axle to take 1 Porsche CV and 1 Audi/VW CV or Replace with Boxster tranny, that will: Bolt right on, Shifter is cheap and available and requires less fab time. I'm leaning to the Boxster due to the 100mm Porsche CV flange. The Audi is 114mm.

Click to view attachment

This is whats left of the wiring after the car gets gutted. The ECU and gauge cluster have a symbiotic relationship. They work together and have to stay together to run. It looks like it will fit nicely into the stock location. I may have to adjust the column lower and build an trim ring around the cluster.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Here is the Electronic Gas Pedal... Pretty cool. Should be pretty easy to build a bracket for it...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Close up of the tranny flange. The Audi CV looks like it has a thicker shaft too.

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
So now I need to junk this Passat. Last time I junked a car was 20 years ago. Will they pick up a car or do I have to deliver it?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I also need to stock up on some DOM tubing and stuff. Think my welding supplies are good for now. Might need a bigger bottle for the MIG.

My back feels better too... But now I'm exhausted... drunk.gif
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif Hmmmm idea.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 10 2012, 04:52 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif Hmmmm idea.gif

type.gif Engine is 24" Tall by 24" deep... happy11.gif
andys
I believe you can swap out the tripoid transaxle flages for the ones that are compatible with the Porsche CV. I used to know this stuff from memory, but......... On mine I went from tripoid to Porsche by machining my own adapters, but I also widened the bearing hubs. Keep in mind, the flanges on that 012 trans may not be symmetrical about the centerline of the trans; they weren't on my 01e. Inseted of goofing with axles, etc, I simply mounted the engine/trans off center by about 3/4".

Andys
Tom
Mike,
Glad to hear your back is feeling better. Man, you sure like a challenge, don't you? Looking forward to seeing how this works out, not that I would do it myself.
Good luck to ya,
Tom
Mike Bellis
Here is the stock K03 turbo. It hangs from a chincy looking cast iron manifold. There are high flow cast replacement manifolds cheap. A K04 is a bolt on upgrade for this turbo. Bigger I guess... More better power biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The stock dump/CAT pipe is 4" OD. Looks like connecting to my 4" exhaust is easy. I picked up this 4" flex too. A V band on one side and done. I will gut the CAT and shorten the chamber after I get to engine in the car.

Click to view attachment

Ever wondered what was inside? Is this platinum? Should I recycle it?

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Here is a DAPO mod to boost spring pressure. You shorten the rod by bending a "Z" into the rod. This one is a "V" and bound on the edge of the canister. This boost dump would be lees predictable and may suffer from boost creep or slow dump. Do it right or don't do it...

Click to view attachment
okieflyr
Years ago I had REVO flash the ecu to eliminate the cluster and a few emission control points. When I first converted to the 012, I had custom axles with the tripoid inners. When they started to wear, I had flange adapters made that equalized the output offset and allow me to use 944 joints.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jun 10 2012, 06:01 PM) *

Years ago I had REVO flash the ecu to eliminate the cluster and a few emission control points. When I first converted to the 012, I had custom axles with the tripoid inners. When they started to wear, I had flange adapters made that equalized the output offset and allow me to use 944 joints.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

That's exactly what I would need. Got any drawings?
okieflyr
I do. Give me abit to find them though.
My setup fits ok top tp bottom, but some metal fab or removal will be in order for the rear of the engine. I did my VW 1.8t using a self-made crossmember to use the stock body mounting points.
tscrihfield
I have loved the Sasquatch build btw... I actually wanted to comment on the K04 upgrade... If I can talk you out of it, I will try. The turbo is not a good add on for this engine stock. The efficiency is all at the wrong points and often blows these engines. If you want a good upgrade there is an outfit called frankenturbo that builds a hybrid for the 1.8t that is a perfect match. I drive an 02 GTI as my DD and spend a lot of time with these engines. I have thought about this same swap and I am glad to see someone doing it. Can't wait to see the progress!
Porsche930dude
Nice ill be watching. Cat converter guts arnt worth much. the recyclers like to see the whole cat so they know what theyre getting. Since all cats have different metal content prices are all over the map
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jun 10 2012, 07:03 PM) *

I have loved the Sasquatch build btw... I actually wanted to comment on the K04 upgrade... If I can talk you out of it, I will try. The turbo is not a good add on for this engine stock. The efficiency is all at the wrong points and often blows these engines. If you want a good upgrade there is an outfit called frankenturbo that builds a hybrid for the 1.8t that is a perfect match. I drive an 02 GTI as my DD and spend a lot of time with these engines. I have thought about this same swap and I am glad to see someone doing it. Can't wait to see the progress!

I am having 034 Motorsport re-flash the ECU. They will remove the extras (ABS, Smog, etc...). They can put in a K04 tune. This will require injectors and stuff. No big deal. Price is the same. These guys know their shit too. When running, I can have them throw it on the dyno to fine tune it to my exhaust and intercooler.

You are correct about just throwing on a K04 to a stock motor. Heck I may go with an even bigger turbo. At this point it's pennies on the dollar to go bigger. The tune is the same price and the turbo is only a couple hundred more.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jun 10 2012, 06:06 PM) *

I do. Give me abit to find them though.
My setup fits ok top tp bottom, but some metal fab or removal will be in order for the rear of the engine. I did my VW 1.8t using a self-made crossmember to use the stock body mounting points.

My plan is similar. Use front mounting points and then have to runners tied from there to the stock tranny mounts. Then just fab the 4 Audi mounting points. I will install it like I did my first Ford V8 914. Car jacked up, cherry picker and floor jacks to locate engine, measure and start welding... welder.gif Need to pull the trigger on the tranny solution before final fitting. Boxster has different mounts. Anyone need a good Audi transaxle?

EdwardBlume
Let me know if you need the trailer for the passat.

Btw- nice project beerchug.gif
yellowporky
Mike,
Check to see about poping out the drive flanges from the trans and put in the boxster ones. When we were trying to decide what to do for axels someone told me to put the 6speed boxster drive flanges in so we could get larger cvs. They were wrong but I had to pop out the flanges to verify this info and it was very easy to do.
rhd914
Interesting project, just wondered if they flash the ecu, does that also do away with the key coding?
Geoff
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(rhd914 @ Jun 10 2012, 10:16 PM) *

Interesting project, just wondered if they flash the ecu, does that also do away with the key coding?
Geoff

Yes. the immobilizer will be eliminated.
Andyrew
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Jun 10 2012, 07:03 PM) *

I agree, This or a Disco Potato (GT2560 aka GT28RS) that was run in the APR stage 3 are wonderful turbo's... The K04 is almost the exact same as a KO3.

Mmmm I love this build smile.gif
andys
Here's a photo of an 012 trans with the flanges that are compatible with the Porsche CV's.

Andys

smj
QUOTE(andys @ Jun 11 2012, 09:06 AM) *

Here's a photo of an 012 trans with the flanges that are compatible with the Porsche CV's.

Could you please shrink that image a little more? It's way too big on my 14" CRT monitor... poke.gif biggrin.gif

I'm going down the road of trying to live with the 901 I've got, but a Boxster/Audi 5 speed swap is of great interest - otherwise I wouldn't give you any grief over this. (Probably.) sunglasses.gif

Part numbers for those compatible output flanges or adapters? I'll also accept a smack upside the head with a pointer to a build thread...
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(smj @ Jun 11 2012, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Jun 11 2012, 09:06 AM) *

Could you please shrink that image a little more? It's way too big on my 14" CRT monitor... poke.gif biggrin.gif

I'm going down the road of trying to live with the 901 I've got, but a Boxster/Audi 5 speed swap is of great interest - otherwise I wouldn't give you any grief over this. (Probably.) sunglasses.gif

Part numbers for those compatible output flanges or adapters? I'll also accept a smack upside the head with a pointer to a build thread...

Fixed it poke.gif

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
If the flanges are held in with a circlip, they look easy to pop out. Anyone have an Audi PET file with tranny parts?
Justinp71
Mike you do have ADD, ha! Your 914 is like a drivable engine test stand... smile.gif

Nice project though, engine swaps are always the fun part.
yellowporky
Mike,
If i remember correctly the drive flanges just pop out. I just went out and looked at my car and can not remember removing any hidden clips or anything. Pretty sure about that.
Chris
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Chris Scott @ Jun 11 2012, 10:15 PM) *

Mike,
If i remember correctly the drive flanges just pop out. I just went out and looked at my car and can not remember removing any hidden clips or anything. Pretty sure about that.
Chris

Is this what they look like?

Click to view attachment
yellowporky
That is what I remember
Mike Bellis
Sent the Passat to the wrecking yard today. Fuching tow truck driver stole my wheel chock. They did pick it up for free. Not much left but some interior and suspension. Body was rough, no cherry panels. Glad its gone. Now it's time to clean up the garage and get the 914 inside and stripped apart... again... dry.gif

Parts heaven wants $100ea for the axle stubs and $250 for the complete Boxster shift setup. This includes all the parts from the PET shifter page. I can get the shifter stuff from ebay cheaper but not complete. It will take weeks/months of waiting for items to pop up online. I can buy a complete but unknown Boxster tranny from ebay for as little as $400 (on a good day). Most have the axle stubs and 1/3 of the shifter parts (Tranny linkage). PH wants $2500 for a Boxster tranny with warranty (no shifter). I think I will wait for the right opportunity to jump on cheap parts. I am a CSOB 914 owner biggrin.gif I do need the Boxster tranny mounts to get started. The Audi mounts interfere with the Boxster shifter. Those are cheap online; About $30 each.

Anybody ever pulled the axle flange on a Boxster or Audi transaxle? No bolts but there is a circlip on the stub In the diff. Not exactly sure how to pull it. Slide hammer? Puller tool? Pry bar? smash.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 15 2012, 10:37 PM) *

Anybody ever pulled the axle flange on a Boxster or Audi transaxle? No bolts but there is a circlip on the stub In the diff. Not exactly sure how to pull it. Slide hammer? Puller tool? Pry bar? smash.gif

VW says:

Place a chisel or spacer -A- behind drive flange.
Pull drive flange shaft out of differential gears by turning bolt -B-.

Click to view attachment

Jim

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 16 2012, 12:36 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 15 2012, 10:37 PM) *

VW says:

Place a chisel or spacer -A- behind drive flange.
Pull drive flange shaft out of differential gears by turning bolt -B-.

Click to view attachment

Jim

I was considering doing this but it think it was the "correct" way. confused24.gif I guess I will go for it... Maybe I'll use 2 so I don't bend anything. Thanks!
rohar
AWESOME swap!

I did an ABA 16v in a teener last time and it was amazing even using the 914 tranny. I'm guessing the 012 will just put the bow on the package.

If it helps any, I share your ADD. I've got a 3.6l v8 that'll bolt up to that bellhouseing. Needs a clutch solution. You could have it for shipping 'cause the wife limits me to 3 engines in the shop at a time and I've got my eye on something "better".

...gotta poke the ADD...
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(rohar @ Jun 16 2012, 12:08 PM) *

AWESOME swap!

I did an ABA 16v in a teener last time and it was amazing even using the 914 tranny. I'm guessing the 012 will just put the bow on the package.

If it helps any, I share your ADD. I've got a 3.6l v8 that'll bolt up to that bellhouseing. Needs a clutch solution. You could have it for shipping 'cause the wife limits me to 3 engines in the shop at a time and I've got my eye on something "better".

...gotta poke the ADD...

Sounds like fun but I have my hands full with this engine. But I should have JRust pick it up and bring it to me. He has to come here anyway...

I have a barely broken in SPEC Stage 3 clutch for a 914 I will be listing in the classifieds soon... poke.gif V8 and big 6 guys... biggrin.gif
stanthedog
Those 1.8T motors can make insane HP. For engine goodies/upgrades, might try Bahn Brenner in bend, Or. He has a corrado with a T motor that makes 480WHP.
John know his sh*t when it comes to water cooled VW/Audi. Sounds like an awesome build, wish I had the patience for a swap like that.
MartyYeoman
This one I'm going to have to stop by and see for myself! shades.gif
stanthedog
It's downright scarey to be next to when he starts it up, sounds like nothing iv'e ever heard. rattles windows for 4 blocks evilgrin.gif .
Lennies914
1999 5 spd Boxster M/T in Roseville. $640

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ptd/3056620666.html
Mike Bellis
Got the flanges out. Just the the VW manual said to. The shaft looks just like the one I posted above. Seems like an easy swap to Boxster flange. Looks like no need to buy a compltete trans.
Mike Bellis
Been taking it slow on the conversion. Here's something...

I found a Boxster shifter and cables on ebay super cheap. The hard part to find is the linkage on the tranny. I found one at a local recycler way too expensive. So I ordered some 10mm balls ($4) and with some stuff on hand fabricated the stuff I needed. I had some heim joints and rod, all the bits you see.

Since this is an Audi tranny and not a true Boxster, the threaded boss on the case for the factory pivot is not drilled or tapped. I had to fab a new pivot point and re-align the geometry a little. I used the factory linkage mounting holes to build from and picked up a mount in the rear to carry the pivot point. The pivot I used is a ball bearing adjustable bell crank from a 6-71 blower; Very stout. 3/8 rod and 1/8 flat stock make up the rest. All parts went through a heat treatment with a dirty oil bath.

Here's the working prototype. I plan to move the Neutral gate cable more inboard to reduce the angle a little. This thing shifts super nice! I have 2-3mm of end play on the shifter. I used the Porsche design to inspire me since they did all the R&D for me. I can hardly wait to drive a 914 with a modern transaxle.

Click to view attachment

Second Gear

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I designed the cable bracket to accept the factory locking design. Need to maching deeper and move the divots for the locking clips.

Click to view attachment

I used 0.75"/0.120" DOM to make the shift bracket. My ghetto hardening gives it a cool blue/black color, stiffens everything up real well.

Click to view attachment

Re-aligned cable angle

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
quick video... Linkage in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc8ZPVFrucw
Andyrew
Mike,

That shifter setup looks awesome!

Im going to be starting the teardown for my v6 swap in the next few months after some other projects are started.

Congrats on your progress!!
Drums66
.....Super cool, project man.....I dig Audi powerplants!
PEACE(Porsche/Audi)
JRust
Looking great Mike! Looks like you'll be pulling your drivetrain any day now biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
Got it finished and painted. Moved the cable inboard, the angle looks better. I plan to keep the (Audi Only) axle shield. But the cast aluminum Audi tranny mounts have been replaced with Boxster Steel units. This will give the mounts some symmetry over the Audi's.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here you can see the notch needded to capture the factory locking clip.

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Teaser photos... Rotary gets pulled this weekend. New turbo good for up to 350hp. Not sure which exhaust manifold to use. I need to get the engine in place to see where the turbo fits best...

Garrett GT28RS Disco Potato...

Click to view attachment

Methanol Injection... Coolingmist progressive controller gauge with vac/boost display, fail safe control, flow meter, AEM 200 psi pump, 600cc injector, hose, misc fittings. Not shown is the 2 gallon tank...

Click to view attachment
McMark
Ooooh, does that mean the K03 is available? cool_shades.gif
Andyrew
Mike, are you going to run the stock turbo/tune for the initial testing and then upgrade?

GT28r is a great turbo.. I wish I took you for a ride in the Audi prior to me blowing that turbo...

Turbo should fit fine, the 914 has more side to side room than most cars, I would go with a bottom mount turbo due to the exhaust and the firewall clearance (VS going with like the SPA manifold..). Not very many available though... I see one on ebay, but not sure how long it would last before it cracked... ( My APR one is bottom, but its made of Iconell, so it will never crack...).

Andyrew
Mark, what would you want with a lowly KO3? Planning to turbo your lawnmower?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 19 2012, 09:48 PM) *

Ooooh, does that mean the K03 is available? cool_shades.gif

Yes. You still have first dibs... smile.gif BTW, had the K03 checked out, still good...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.