Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sasquatch Part III Audi 1.8t transplant...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Chris H.
Awesome! Sounds really good. You've got amazing skills. Check out the HUGE exhaust!
Andyrew
Sounds eerily familiar! smile.gif
Mike Bellis
For Andyrew...

Adjustable delay on timer. Triggered by the fuel pump relay. This timer is adjustable from 0-10 minutes. Just a turn of the dial. It is running: Water pump, Intercooler pump, intercooler fan. I have it set to 2 minutes right now. this prevents the fore mentioned equipment from starting as soon as the key is turned on...

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
The gearing is definitely short. I'm running smaller diameter tires and the trans was designed to pull a 3800lb wagon, not a 2100lb 914. COmbine that with a 4" exhaust (read: no back pressure) and the turbo spools very quickly. 1st gear is almost no fun. 2nd gear is just a hair tall to be used as first. My rear tires are 26" tall, I may need to go with a 28" and larger wheel or swap the ring and pinion to match the weight of the car.

I clocked and relocated the throttle pedal today. Much better and more comfortable position.

I need to lube up my diverter valve. I opened it and cleaned it during construction, but forgot to lube. The result is that sometimes during shifts, the pressure does not blow off and the engine revs up rather than down.
Andyrew
Pretty cool timer!

The Audi box has plenty of gears and such available. You might look at some 2.8 parts or even some TDI parts. I've got an audi box excel sheet somewhere with all the options, I'll post it when I find it.

Andyrew
Here you go Mike.
rohar
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jun 5 2013, 11:06 PM) *

The gearing is definitely short. I'm running smaller diameter tires and the trans was designed to pull a 3800lb wagon, not a 2100lb 914.

There's solutions available for that. The 012 came in LOTS of variations. The OWW variant is very tall, you can find them on the 12v V6 audis pretty cheap in the strip it lots. The output flanges are different so you'll have to swap some parts over from your existing tranny.

EDIT: Dangit, I didn't see Andyrew's post before I posted. Need moar coffee...
Mike Bellis
Well I've been playing with my boost controller. What a PITA! You would think that just following the instructions, perfectly! would yield the desired result... NO!

Started the install just like the diagram on the left. Connected exactly as pictured. The boost would peak at 12psi max. I then replaced all my vacuum lines. Same result. I double checked the entire system for leaks. None found.

Click to view attachment

I then added a vacuum line as described on the bottom left notes. Max boost... bla, bla... Connect a line from the manifold to the wastegate can... Took it for a test drive and it immediately peaks to 30psi. No ramp up, just straight to 30psi and is virtually undriveable. In addition I broke down on the freeway (my testing ground). At 30psi the cap on the power brake fitting blew off and the car stalled. It took a few minutes to get it started, I then found the massive vac leak. I quickly wrapped the fitting in electrical tape and limped home.

Frustrated, I removed all the vac lines and drove without a connection to the wastegate. It again peaked at 30psi but was a smoother ramp, yet still quick.

Almost at my wits end, I swapped the #1 & #2 connections on the boost solenoid. NOTE: this should not work. It's now backwards. Well, it runs better than ever. Nice boost ramp to 20+psi. Drives perfectly! I'm not sure what's going on with my boost solenoid. Either there is a typo in the instructions or I was supplied with a N.C. when I should have got an N.O. device (or vise versa).

Either way, Holy shit!!!! This 914 hauls ass!!!!!
Way faster than my V8 and very close to the rotary but with more torque! So it feels like more power... smile.gif

Now I need to get the axle and new tranny settled before I break something. The V6 Passat has the same gear ratio (almost) as the Boxster. The difference is .001 ratio per gear. The price difference between them is incredible. Used Passat tranny is ~$400. Used Boxster tranny is ~$1800. These are almost the same tranny, both made by Audi. bs.gif Both final drives are 3.70. My 1.8 tranny final drive is 4.11, should make all the difference...

Click to view attachment

I also added some hood pins. My original latch was removed to clear the intake manifold and now won't fit. I drilled and tapped the roll bar and then welded a nut in place. This way I can adjust the height.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I also received my 5 year award from the PCA. Overall I have been a member longer but took a hiatus for a while...

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Awesome!!!

20psi should be right about 330hp.

I know how fast my A4 was and how responsive it was with that turbo so ya... Excited for you smile.gif

I ran 19psi for quite a long time. You might want to dial the boost down at lower RPM so its not to much torque for your drivetrain or your rods (weak link). I havent heard this turbo blowing a rod before, but you are running less weight so who knows how that effects it in the real world.

Get it dailed in, Get 034 to build a 100 octane file for you that will let you run it to 24psi (max safe level for the turbo). With a good tune that should be 375hp+. You can have the ECU hold both the files and you can switch it with the cruise stalk or a button. That should put you sideways in third smile.gif. But cruise it daily at 15-17psi is a safe and healthy number.

Mike Bellis
I'm running methanol above 18psi, effectively raising the octaine level above 100 in the high boost range (18-30psi). I added root beer fragrance to the meth. It's kind of cool smelling root beer every time I get on it on the freeway.

It's not boosting to high at low rpm now. Other than the 4.11 gearing, it's perfect. I can feel the LSD working as the turbo spools up. What an amazing ride!
Mike Bellis
As I await my Boxster/Cayman 6 speed to arrive, I decided to take the car out for a spin... Once up to temp and at speed, smoke filled the cabin and trailed behind the car... Oil pressure good, so I limped it home... Doesn't smell like motor oil, smells more like gear oil...

Pulled up in the driveway looking like a Cheech and Chong movie. smoke.gif Opened the engine lid and the smoke is coming from the power steering pump... dry.gif

I had to install the pump because it drives the water pump. Before installation, I removed the veins that create pressure, capped the fittings and filled it with PS fluid. I have 300 miles on the car without any issue with the pump. Not sure what the exact problem is. Inside it is now just a spinning flywheel submersed in fluid.

After the car cools down I am going to remove it completely. I think it will be OK since I'm now running an inline electric water pump. We shall see...
McMark
Does it ever end? happy11.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 4 2013, 05:29 PM) *

Does it ever end? happy11.gif

Nope... beerchug.gif
FourBlades

This is such a kick ass project. beerchug.gif

You really have kept after it...

John
Mike Bellis
Looks like it worked. I put on a shorter serpentine belt and bypassed the PS pump and water pump. Took a 30 mile road trip with no issues to report. Electric water pump is working just fine... smile.gif

The bearings in the power steering pump are shot. sad.gif I gained at least 1.5hp by disconnecting it. biggrin.gif
JRust
Nice. Wish I could get a ride in it while I am down here. Where the hell do you live again confused24.gif
McMark
I got a surprise visit today from Mike, out on a shakedown run. It was cool to share and compare setups. The sasquatch is quite a build. I was really impressed with how well the dash turned out. The engine fits in there surprisingly well and all the systems are neat and tidy. Performance was, of course, fantastic - including the handling of the chassis. Mike, you got a really well set up car there. Looking forward to seeing it again when the tune is finalized.

Thanks for dropping by! driving.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 7 2013, 04:39 PM) *

I got a surprise visit today from Mike, out on a shakedown run. It was cool to share and compare setups. The sasquatch is quite a build. I was really impressed with how well the dash turned out. The engine fits in there surprisingly well and all the systems are neat and tidy. Performance was, of course, fantastic - including the handling of the chassis. Mike, you got a really well set up car there. Looking forward to seeing it again when the tune is finalized.

Thanks for dropping by! driving.gif

pray.gif
Thank You!
Mike Bellis
And then this happened... dry.gif

Click to view attachment

I changed out the water temp sender today. Yes, little coolant came out. 1-2 cups of fluid escaped. I decided to take it on a test drive. No, I did not top it off. I made it 7 miles when the radiator hose let go with a violent bang! Steam spewed from my GT style engine lid and coolant was everywhere. The moment the check engine light came on I was turning off the ignition...

Towed it home (See trailer thread) and parked it.

Lesson learned. Always pull the air out of the system. chair.gif
Andyrew
Damn!!! Hopefully its an easy fix!
Chris H.
Ugh....so that happened just because there was too much air in the cooling system? Good to know....
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 22 2013, 06:01 PM) *

Ugh....so that happened just because there was too much air in the cooling system? Good to know....

It was near the high point of the system. My guess is a steam pocket... sad.gif

It was Fuching loud!
Mike Bellis
My new transmission showed up today! piratenanner.gif I'm going to clean it up and paint the crusty bits. This is a 2005 Boxster S unit. Other than being ugly, It seems in good shape and I can shift all 6 forward and reverse gears. Everything spins smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Same Bell housing as my Audi... evilgrin.gif

Click to view attachment

The 130mm flanges, (Only on the S transmission) work with my 930 CV's but they require 6 bolts... smile.gif

Click to view attachment

I'm old and lazy so I decided to install a SPAL power window kit. I used to install these regularly and the design hasn't changed. I did have to offset the motor slightly to clear the regulator. Once the panel is in you will never see it. It was always a PITA to use the handle since the roll bar arm bracket is in the way.

Click to view attachment

So I also decided to do proper door grommets. These are the rear hatch grommets from the donor 2001 Passat Wagon.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
I'm doing power windows too Mike! Good call. I ordered door panels and vinyl from 914rubber a while back and asked Mark NOT to cut a hole for the window winder. Can't wait to get them in. How do the SPAL's work? Pretty well?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 31 2013, 01:43 PM) *

I'm doing power windows too Mike! Good call. I ordered door panels and vinyl from 914rubber a while back and asked Mark NOT to cut a hole for the window winder. Can't wait to get them in. How do the SPAL's work? Pretty well?

The SPAL kit is cool for a universal kit. Very easy to install on just about anything.

As for no holes in the panel. It might be possible. I tried to space the regulator back a little. Right at the crank the clearance is very tight between the glass and regulator. Less than a finger width. When I spaced it, the mechanism started the drag and bang as the window went up/down. I ended up just spacing the horizontal track right above the motor. I have late style regulators.

You may need a power regulator from Electro-life http://electric-life.com/ I'm not sure if they have a specific 914 kit but I'm sure something could be modified. Then you would not have a crank at all to worry about.
Mike Bellis
I pulled my 5 speed today. It came out pretty easy without the engine and cradle. I also pulled the Phantom Grip LSD and planted it int the 6 speed. The spider gears are a direct swap, although the 3rd member is bigger in the 6 speed. The whole tranny is a little bigger. I do have to fab rear mounts but that's no big deal.

The bad news: The Boxster tranny does not have the electric speedo drive. I need to rig/fab something to work.

Here is a look at the bell housing area. 5 on left, 6 on right. Notice the 6 has more clearance for a bigger flywheel. Bolt pattern is almost identical. The Audi engine does not use all the bolt holes on the 5 speed. But all the hole I need match up on the 6 speed. BTW, this is a GETRAG Audi 466 transmission.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here are the 2 diffs. 5 on left, 6 on right. The 6 is clearly bigger. I was surprised to see the spiders were interchangeable. So no new machining required.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The PG LSD shows minimal wear. You can see wear marks but you can't feel them.

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
I muscled the tranny into position today. What a PITA! It is longer than the 5 speed and it hits the muffler bracket. I did a quick chop of the bracket to get it mounted. I noticed a small difference with the starter opening. The bolt pattern is the same but it is made for a slightly smaller starter. I need to machine 1/8" from the bell housing. So that means the tranny comes back out. While it's out I will modify the muffler bracket. A couple of the mounting holes I need to use need to be drilled out. I guess the Boxster uses the other holes. Once I get all this dealt with, I will fab mounting brackets for the new tranny.

So It is almost a bolt in swap. I figured it would go like this. At least the thing bolts up to the engine!

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif headbang.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif headbang.gif
Andyrew
Great progress as always! And to think, I havent been able to change a fuel pump in 5 months...
76-914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 3 2013, 09:41 PM) *

I muscled the tranny into position today. What a PITA! It is longer than the 5 speed and it hits the muffler bracket. I did a quick chop of the bracket to get it mounted. I noticed a small difference with the starter opening. The bolt pattern is the same but it is made for a slightly smaller starter. I need to machine 1/8" from the bell housing. So that means the tranny comes back out. While it's out I will modify the muffler bracket. A couple of the mounting holes I need to use need to be drilled out. I guess the Boxster uses the other holes. Once I get all this dealt with, I will fab mounting brackets for the new tranny.

So It is almost a bolt in swap. I figured it would go like this. At least the thing bolts up to the engine!

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif headbang.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif headbang.gif

Nice build Mike. It's always comforting to know that one doesn't have to look far for something to do. lol-2.gif If it makes you feel any better, I ran into the same starter dilemma on my Suby swap, yesterday. popcorn[1].gif I don't believe anyone has asked this yet but how does the new power plant compare to your previous ones?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 4 2013, 08:21 AM) *

Nice build Mike. It's always comforting to know that one doesn't have to look far for something to do. lol-2.gif If it makes you feel any better, I ran into the same starter dilemma on my Suby swap, yesterday. popcorn[1].gif I don't believe anyone has asked this yet but how does the new power plant compare to your previous ones?

The power is awesome. If I dial the boost down, if is the same as my old 283ci V8, with slightly lees torque. If I turn the boost up (25+ psi) it is crazy fast and controllable. The rotary had more peak power but this feels stronger. Probably due to higher torque numbers at lower rpm.

If it weren't for the fact that my axle angle was too severe, I would have left the 5 speed in there for a while. I needed the 108mm flanges from the 6 speed to use 930 CV's. I tried to buy just the axle flanges but none of the Porsche dismantlers would sell me just the parts. Now I have all the parts, I just have to make it work...
Mike Bellis
Got the tranny out and back in. Glad I pulled it too. I found one area where 2 teeth from the flywheel had dug into the bell housing. There is was a clearance problem at about the 5 o'clock position. Little machine work here and there and the engine cranks over just fine.

I started fabbing the rear mount. Once it's painted and installed I'll snap a couple pics.

The 6 speed is at least 20lbs heavier than the 5 speed. Kind of a PITA to R&R. My brother happened by just as I was stuffing it back in the car. Thanks Bro!
Mike Bellis
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Car is on the road again!

6 Speed works great! Smooth & easy shifting, better gearing. Got my 930 CV's and axles in and my VSS reworked so my speedo works.

Now I have to track down a fuel smell. I can't find a leak or drip but I can smell it.

Now I need to get some shake down runs in... driving.gif aktion035.gif
Mike Bellis
Here is the latest picture of the car. Looks ready for the 9-14 Autocross...

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Awesome!!!!

Get that fuel leak fixed!!! Check the center tunnel and under the gas tank.
tscrihfield
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 30 2013, 07:26 PM) *

Here is the latest picture of the car. Looks ready for the 9-14 Autocross...

Click to view attachment

Car looks awesome! Do you know if the wing helps? Have you drove it with it on and off?

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Aug 30 2013, 09:32 PM) *

Car looks awesome! Do you know if the wing helps? Have you drove it with it on and off?

I can feel it above 80mph. There is a difference with/without it. But, it's a high speed device. I was passing some cars on the freeway today and suddenly I was doing over 100mph. evilgrin.gif Whoops, I slowed it down. It was the car, not me... biggrin.gif
76-914
Really looks nice. Good job Mike. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 31 2013, 04:00 PM) *

Really looks nice. Good job Mike. beerchug.gif

Thank You!

Found my fuel leak. 1/8" NPT fitting on the pressure regulator. It was soooo loose. I can't believe I didn't find it sooner. I can't believe it wasn't leaking sooner. It is a plug where a gauge could be installed.

All fixed now!
Cairo94507
Hi Mike- Looking good; I do not recall seeing the GT flares on your car the last time I saw it. Car looks nice and I bet it screams too. Nice work.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 1 2013, 06:29 AM) *

Hi Mike- Looking good; I do not recall seeing the GT flares on your car the last time I saw it. Car looks nice and I bet it screams too. Nice work.

Last time you saw it, there were 930 steel flares on the car. As I found out when removing them, they were a shoddy installation on a race car. 3 layers of lap welds and bondo lifting.

I picked up 2 sets of fiberglass flares. One from Brad @ 914ltd with rockers and one set from AIR. I ended up using 3 of Brad's and 1 of AIR (front left) along with Brad's flared rockers. The welting is some 1950's style ebay fender welting product.
tscrihfield
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 31 2013, 12:37 AM) *

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Aug 30 2013, 09:32 PM) *

I can feel it above 80mph. There is a difference with/without it. But, it's a high speed device. I was passing some cars on the freeway today and suddenly I was doing over 100mph. evilgrin.gif Whoops, I slowed it down. It was the car, not me... biggrin.gif

Yeah, it had nothing to do with that right foot.... eh! happy11.gif

I bet that thing pulls like crazy with that power plant.
David J
How about a video? driving.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(David J @ Sep 2 2013, 12:55 PM) *

How about a video? driving.gif

Soon. I'm sorting out an over boost limp mode issue. The challenges of a modified drive-by-wire car... dry.gif
Mike Bellis
Got my new plate today. I got the idea from a Mercedes Konzept car.

I have released "914 TT" go reserve it now on the CA DMV website... smile.gif

Car is running good but not great. It stumbles rich at WOT. I need to get it in for final dyno tuning at some point. I'm driving it to the 9-14 PCA auto-x (to observe) tomorrow. Got to take it somewhere on 9-14 right? beer.gif

Click to view attachment

Java2570
Mike, it has been awhile since I looked at this thread...wow, you've really kicked ass on this build! Your car looks and sounds great! Can't wait to see some driving videos.... aktion035.gif
Mike Bellis
Just drove it 180 miles round trip to the 9-14 auto-x. driving.gif

I'm at the point where it needs to get the final tune.
Andyrew
Awesome!

Chris H.
Mike, we need video man.....
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 15 2013, 10:39 AM) *

Mike, we need video man.....

Here is a shitty video. My mount was loose. You can see the camera sway back & forth and the video is quite shakey. But here it is anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXko9WlEALM
Chris H.
Thanks for the vid Mike! It sounds really smooth! Very inspiring for those of us still tripping over stuff parts and wiring harnesses the garage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.