Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

32 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fix a six, Like Neil Young says...rust is an insomniac
bbrock
post Sep 29 2019, 09:56 AM
Post #341

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

BTW, I should say my comment on control arm and backing plate finish is based on 914/4 and assuming it was the same for a six. You might want verification on that.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Sep 29 2019, 10:22 AM
Post #342

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Weighing in with an amateur opinion -

Car bottom finish - I know there are a variety of experts who have strong opinions on this both ways, but i think that the correct underside finish is the undercoating caught with whatever amount of overspray (underspray in this case??) happened that day at the factory. I hold that belief based on two things:

1) "Original" examples like this http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=338927&hl= and several others. (the example in that thread can also serve as a guide to a variety of original finishes IMHO)

2) I tend to believe that these cars were painted on the ground (or maybe on low stands) at the factory by humans, not on rotisseries. With that in mind, I see no way that Franz or Hanz crawled under the car on his back and painted the bottom.

Man you have some interesting engine choices, and while I am here, my engine preference for a narrow body car would be:

1) a 66 x 90 2.4+ short stroke with either MFI or EFI based on MFI components (S throttle bodies and 70-71 mag stacks)

2) the same motor carbed

3) 2.2 carbed S motor (nod towards originality but with a party under the engine lid!)

Love the idea of more torque and HP, but save the 2.7 RS and 3.0 for sale or a 911 hot rods. I have a 71 x 84 carbed mod solex cammed S motor which I think matches the persona of a real six almost perfectly, but there is something about the siren song of the short stroke, quick reving motors that take it all to the next level - sublime!!

Do some research over on Pelican for posts by Henry Schmidt under what he calls the "best motor Porsche never built". He is a long time six aficionado, could build what ever he wanted for his personal six, and guess what he had??

Fabulous resto by the way !!!
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Sep 29 2019, 07:19 PM
Post #343

Member No.: 7,170

Freezer burn was the way to go. Piece of cake. I'll paint them and get them ready.
They have hard bushings up front with zirk grease fittings.
I need to evaluate the struts and strip and repack the drive shafts.
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Sep 29 2019, 07:28 PM
Post #344

I am going (can't stop now) with a stroked 2.2 S to a 2.4 S carbed engine.
I could go MFI but that is complicated and uses a lot of the engine compartment.
I have completely stripped a pair of Weber 40 IDAs that I will build back up.
They were pretty nasty...and need both side shafts replaced. Probably going fiberglass amber rain shields for ease of maneuverability in the engine compartment.

Experts please advise on the refinishing as I am accumulating stuff. Also Denver/Boulder
people ...if you want to piggy back on my refinish order, let me know. Cheaper to do a mass order.
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Sep 29 2019, 09:39 PM
Post #345

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Great choice. Big fun!
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Mar 4 2020, 08:33 PM
Post #346

So I am painfully aware of the fact that this 6 resto is now 8 years long in the tooth.
A lot has passed through the garage in that time, but there is no justifiable apology.
I just looked at the date on the beginning of the thread and it is embarrassing. In the last six months, my son accumulated a 1.7 from a good friend Brant and that has taken a bit of time to sort. We have "worked" most of the exterior rust and are now about to attack the hell hole. He is not much for posting on the board, and I am not inclined to post for him...his choice.
In the mean time, I am building up the 2.2 T engine to a 2.4 S Weber engine...parts on their way. I promised myself I would check in on the painter at the end of March...coming soon. Benefit of helping my son with his 914 is that I get to remember where everything goes back together.
So our goal for my son's car is to get it back together in time to do the 4 corners 914 epic drive in the summer.
Brant, how much time do we have?
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Mar 23 2020, 02:59 PM
Post #347

Still thinking about oil coolers. There is a local guy to Denver doing some interesting re-configuring of the old trombone coolers. They can be made in all kinds of contorted shapes and they are always in the airflow. And they were pretty effective at dissipating heat. Anybody have pics of these being used in 914's before? And I presume they are made of copper with soldered fittings?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 23 2020, 03:26 PM
Post #348

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Speedo @ Aug 4 2019, 01:34 PM) *

I need to quickly decide what I am going to do for an engine...
a) rebuild original 2.0 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
b) plug in a 2.0 or 2.2 S MFI engine (both needing rebuild) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
c) rebuild 2.7 RS spec engine (webers) which came with the car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
d) ...there is that 3.0 twin plug MFI Andial engine up on the shelf (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

I vote 3.0 twin plug ....because that's what I have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Speedo
post May 21 2020, 09:54 AM
Post #349

Fast forward...or back up slowly.
Apex called and they anticipate three weeks.
Said my "metal work" was all done...not sure what that means...?

I plan to go visit and do the seam sealing after the epoxy sealer.
He says he has the seam sealing products...and he has everything in the shop from speedsters to RSRs so I'll go with his product recommendations.
The 914-6s were brushed seam sealer, correct? He also has the body "shutz" for me to apply under coating...so I will need to be clear on where to apply that too.
My sons car (70 1.7) is on the lift and we are finishing up the hell hole. So while it is in the air, we will have a good opportunity to walk around underneath and figure out where the color is supposed to go vs black and where the "shutz" starts and ends.

This was the butt kick I needed during this sheltering in place. Been getting a lot of "other" car projects done (sons 914)...but the 2.4 S engine kept getting kicked back down the list.
Case is cleaned and prepped, crank and rods assembled. Parts are all here and all the machining is done. Weber 40s are rebuilt and the shroud is repaired and repainted.
Need to inspect the oil pump...decide on 574 vs 3bond for the case adhesives and put it together. No excuses now.

I am going to be sending a batch of hardware to be refinished...so I need to double check what needs to be silver vs yellow zinc (son's 914 should be telling) and send it off. Anybody local that wants to "piggyback" on my refinishing, let me know asap.
When I go to look at it I will grab some pics.
+Quote Post
Speedo
post May 27 2020, 06:55 AM
Post #350

Seam sealer question...
Some areas of the car look brushed (trunks) and some looked sprayed (cockpit). Is there a thread that explains what gets brushed or sprayed and exactly where? And source for both products?

Thanks!
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post May 27 2020, 07:25 AM
Post #351

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

QUOTE(Speedo @ Mar 23 2020, 02:59 PM) *

Still thinking about oil coolers. There is a local guy to Denver doing some interesting re-configuring of the old trombone coolers. They can be made in all kinds of contorted shapes and they are always in the airflow. And they were pretty effective at dissipating heat. Anybody have pics of these being used in 914's before? And I presume they are made of copper with soldered fittings?

IDK...but here is one,, maybe in the pas. fender well?
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188776

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Jun 2 2020, 02:28 PM
Post #352

Scheduled to go check the car out in primer this Friday. I am wondering if the seam sealer and undercoating (where both are needed) are ok to be applied after primer? I was wondering if they should be applied before primer. If they are applied after primer...should those areas be resprayed with primer before color?

Also going to pic up two trombone coolers to try to engineer a system underneath the rear of the car to help keep the 2.4 cool(er). If I kill one, I'll have a backup (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 2 2020, 04:55 PM
Post #353

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That is my car above with my original oil cooler system on my Six running a 3.0 w/Webers. According to the 2nd owner it never overheated and he used to traverse the Santa Cruz mountains regularly in the summer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Jun 3 2020, 06:25 AM
Post #354

I just realized that my car is missing the rear valence. Was it supposed to have one or was that an option? If it came with the six and it is missing, I need to source one quickly.
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Jun 26 2020, 06:22 PM
Post #355

After spending three hours under my car priming the recently re-sandblasted floor, I realized my 1970 chassis does not have the oil line hook. Did all 6s get them, or some not? Do I need to source one?
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jun 26 2020, 06:53 PM
Post #356

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Speedo @ Jun 27 2020, 12:22 PM) *

After spending three hours under my car priming the recently re-sandblasted floor, I realized my 1970 chassis does not have the oil line hook. Did all 6s get them, or some not? Do I need to source one?

Easy enough to make for a man of your skills (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 26 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #357

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think RD and McMark sell them.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 26 2020, 08:37 PM
Post #358

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

As far as I know, all Sixes had the oil line hook. Well, I can only really confirm '70 & '71 had therm, I have not owned a '72 Six. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Jun 27 2020, 07:09 AM
Post #359

Ok, I need to get one of those on the chassis before it gets paint. I also need to source the front trunk plug as mine has gone missing. Does anybody have dimensions by chance and measurements for positioning that piece? Why is it that I am only now discovering all the schwagg I need that I don't have...now that my car is at paint? Have two more small items to mig...close up the emblem holes on the front hood, and thr extra holes in the door top for the Vitaloni mirrors that will not be re-used. Color is imminent.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Speedo
post Jun 27 2020, 07:11 AM
Post #360

more
Attached Image
+Quote Post

32 Pages V « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 10:20 AM