Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

37 Pages V « < 33 34 35 36 37 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cairo's 6
Mike Bellis
post Jul 6 2016, 06:28 PM
Post #681

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Can we get back to the build thread? Any updates from Scotty?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 6 2016, 08:58 PM
Post #682

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Scotty - the phone is ringing......
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 6 2016, 09:09 PM
Post #683

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 6 2016, 10:58 PM) *

Scotty - the phone is ringing......

Scotty told me he will have some pics of your car and mine to post in the next couple days.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 7 2016, 06:54 AM
Post #684

Michael

Nice. I know Scotty is taking care of some of the upholstery stuff. I believe he just got the dash, top targa bar pad and windshield top pad back from Just Dashes too. I am hoping to see photos of that stuff. They are a bit expensive, so my hope is they are perfect.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 11 2016, 04:32 PM
Post #685

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

I'll first say that NO Michael has nothing to do with the delays on his car. I am dealing with almost 2 years of health and employee issues. Along with that is constantly dealing with the parts we are subbing out while I get caught up on other work. Thus far we have had issues with the chrome shop which has forced me to go with someone out of state. Issues with the powder coater, I have a new one I am trying out now. My upholstery guy is one of the best in the country and stays booked up so getting in with him is always a challenge etc. Michael has been VERY patient while I take care of there things, and I promise it will all pay off in the end. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I took down one of my parts dashes to compare the JUST DASHES grain to.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jul 11 2016, 04:49 PM
Post #686

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

I've also managed to get in some body work on the hood and trunk lids. They are now pretty damn straight and ready for the rest of the body to catch up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

you'll notice that while the hood and trunk lid look straight in bare metal, they actually had a lot of rippling as I have found all do. It's hard to tell in the pics, but the low's are all around the bracing on the underside. EVERY 914 I have long blocked came out just like this.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 11 2016, 09:01 PM
Post #687

Michael

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Yay! Wow, that dash looks amazing. I hope it looks that good when I see it in person. Just Dashes was not inexpensive, but it does seem they know what they are doing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

We are moving along and one step closer to color. I love seeing the panels in guide coat as I know that means we are close to final bodywork.

I have been checking with some paint suppliers south of the border to see if I can find the right metal flake gold. It is not easy to find that large metal flake paint. If I can't find it, I may have to change my plan alltogether...

how do I break it to Scotty? He is really committed to gold.....
Attached Image
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Jul 11 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #688

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 11 2016, 08:01 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Yay! Wow, that dash looks amazing. I hope it looks that good when I see it in person. Just Dashes was not inexpensive, but it does seem they know what they are doing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I've seen several dashes redone by Just Dashes and they certainly do quality work. I just don't care for the pronounced grain. You can't help but notice it.

Did Mark Whitesell ever get around to doing a reproduction of an early dash? I can't recall, but if he did, that would be the one to get. The grain of his late model dash is virtually identical to a factory original.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Jul 12 2016, 07:31 AM
Post #689

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

Good progress...and more eveidence that once Scotty is done with a car, it's better than when it left Germany (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

BTW no need to tease me with that MB hood orniment, I will always miss that car.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 12 2016, 08:07 AM
Post #690

Michael

We needed a hood emblem, the MBZ emblem is as good as any, right?
+Quote Post
Kirk.the.914
post Aug 29 2016, 11:51 AM
Post #691

Kirk.the.914

Member No.: 20,175

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Jan 20 2016, 07:26 AM) *

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jan 19 2016, 11:48 PM) *

Easy way to get that function with the euro lenses is to get Spoke's LED bulbs. He makes one that works great, plug and play. Have them on my '73.

Never have figured out though why people put on the euro lenses, but leave those hideous side bulbs...

I agree, my hideous (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) side lights a gone.

Very cool !
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 29 2016, 11:56 AM
Post #692

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jul 11 2016, 11:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 11 2016, 08:01 PM) *

I've seen several dashes redone by Just Dashes and they certainly do quality work. I just don't care for the pronounced grain. You can't help but notice it.

Did Mark Whitesell ever get around to doing a reproduction of an early dash? I can't recall, but if he did, that would be the one to get. The grain of his late model dash is virtually identical to a factory original.

Not yet. Hoping its in the works.
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Aug 29 2016, 12:12 PM
Post #693

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 11 2016, 10:01 PM) *

We are moving along and one step closer to color. I love seeing the panels in guide coat as I know that means we are close to final bodywork.

I have been checking with some paint suppliers south of the border to see if I can find the right metal flake gold. It is not easy to find that large metal flake paint. If I can't find it, I may have to change my plan alltogether...

how do I break it to Scotty? He is really committed to gold.....
Attached Image
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

Try boat shop suppliers.
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Aug 29 2016, 12:15 PM
Post #694

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

Issues with the powder coater, I have a new one I am trying out now.

If you need an awesome, reasonable powder coater, let me know. I have an old classmate right up the road that does wonderful work. I can get you to the front of the line.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 29 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #695

Michael

Scotty? Have you already sent the powder coating out? If not, this might be worth a shot. Thanks Hot_Shoe914
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 5 2016, 03:35 PM
Post #696

Michael

It's been a while since we updated this build, so.... we have got the upholstery lined up (thanks for the referral Scotty) and David Wells has ordered all of the material. We are going with black leather in a texture that closely matches the original vinyl. We will recover the seats, door cards, back pad and center deposit box. Then when the time comes for carpets, David will get the car to make and install the carpet.

I also checked with Harvey Weidman and he tells me my 5 deep sixes will be done at the end of next week. As a reminder, I have a date matched set and he is widening 4 of them 1" on the back side, to 7". From the front they will look like factory deep sixes but I will have a tiny bit more rubber on them, just because. I did 4 instead of 5 because we couldn't get a space saver spare to mount on a 7" rim, which will mount vertically against the bulkhead. So we left the designated spare rim the factory width. I wanted to be able to rotate all 4 tires and would not use the spare in that rotation anyway. They will be finished like stock.

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 13 2017, 08:28 AM
Post #697

Michael

I had the opportunity to talk to Scotty the other day and my project will me moving along again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) We should be seeing the metal work completed, 1 day of work at most left, and then in primer and blocked by the end of March. Shooting for color in May and then assembly will begin. My Six should be back in my garage before the end of the year - 2017. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I recently asked Harvey Weidman to ship one of my 1" widened (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) deep sixes to Scotty (pre-finish) so Scotty could set the raised spindle height and weld the struts and have them powder coated so once the car is assembled, we will not have any fitment issues re the wheels and lowering. The wheel will now be returned to Harvey for completion. Here are some pictures Scotty sent me of my unfinished widened deep six for test fitment:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 13 2017, 10:17 AM
Post #698

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

That wheel will look awesome!!!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 14 2017, 07:18 AM
Post #699

Michael

Thanks Bill. Yeah I think they will look good. I am having them finished stock. Although recently I have been looking at the RSR finish and scratching my head.....
Remember, this is how they started:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 14 2017, 07:35 AM
Post #700

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 14 2017, 08:18 AM) *

Thanks Bill. Yeah I think they will look good. I am having them finished stock. Although recently I have been looking at the RSR finish and scratching my head.....
Remember, this is how they started:
Attached Image

They would have looked good against the gold. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

37 Pages V « < 33 34 35 36 37 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:00 PM