Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gathering, Long post with a question.
matthepcat
post Jun 21 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #21

Meat Popsicle

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

I think there needs to be more local events that happen regularly instead of big events. When I was actively involved in the Subaru community, we had weekly meeting all over the place. It was meeting up for a few hours in the evening, with maybe a mountain cruise.

There were alot of younger folks, so I think younger people have less responsibility that takes up their free time (In general).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mstein95
post Jun 21 2012, 02:01 PM
Post #22

Back when grey Levi's were the rage.

Member No.: 5,959
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just my .02 - for us owners with children in school its near impossible to take the time off to travel to events scheduled during the school year. Much easier to attend during the summer. My wife just asked me when we were leaving for the WCC this year and I had to teller it had already been held - she said "that's unfortunate - how was the turnout?"

+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 21 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Who knows. Even planning an event is a big crapshoot. You try to not make it to structured. Yet still make the group as a whole happy. It's a tough deal with such a diverse group. I am good hanging in the Parking lot. Even though I don't drink I still enjoy being out there shooting the bull with everyone. It is tough for everyone time wise. We are all so busy all the time doing meanless crap. We just can't seem to make the time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) .

I shoot for making WCR 1st. Then hopefully a route 66 & Red Rocks mixed in. Realistically can I make all 3 every year? Hell no! Although I think I managed it one year. I couldn't make WCR this year. I'm planning on Red Rocks but you never know. I have no problem making an event without a 914. There is always an open seat in a teener if you aren't a Dick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) . I don't think many people consider getting a cheap flight to an event (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 21 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #24

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 21 2012, 09:58 AM) *

I think one of the reasons is that most of the recent bigger events seemed to have been centered around autocross and track days.

Frankly, i think that distracts from what made those early events so great, which was the people being able to get to know each other and talk cars in a relaxed atmosphere where you are not constantly pressured to "do something".

IMHO, a nice scenic drive, a Saturday evening dinner and maybe a car show/judging is all you need in terms of scheduled activities.

The rest of the time should be dedicated to hanging out in the parking lot of the hotel with a keg of beer and your 914 friends ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) ...& the how-to workshops were a big attraction! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That said, WCR has conflicted with my being out of town or down for surgery recovery in `09 when I 1st found this site & it was here in OC, as have most of the G&Rs except one & the 1st one of Jonathan's at GPR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

And I've not had my 914 done to drive for any of those, but came anyway.

Sometimes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) happens to get in the way of the fun stuff! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Jun 21 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #25

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

I noticed we have a working calender on the site now but nothing on it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
I entered an event that is happening in August.
Maybe if it were to get used people would get in the habit of viewing it. Even if someone was planning to spend their weekend in the garage working on their car, they could post it, and maybe someone local might feel like a drive and stop by to lend a hand.
Just my .02
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 21 2012, 03:22 PM
Post #26

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jun 21 2012, 02:14 PM) *
I noticed we have a working calender on the site now but nothing on it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

That calendar has been here and working since 2002 ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
markb
post Jun 21 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #27

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

This last WCR was only a couple of hours from me, but as others have said, the economy has taken it's toll, and I'm not interested in AX'ing, so it didn't make sense to go. I've been to a few gatherings & had a great time, but I'm more interested in getting to know my fellow 914 owners than I am trying to break my car on an AX course.
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Jun 21 2012, 07:24 PM
Post #28

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

Every time I even mention thinking about attending an event I get PMs and e-mails warning me not to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) You bring the wrong kind of tranny to one event and no one ever forgets.

Anyhoo, working on an event of my own in the "summer's here" thread in the sandbox.

It's kinda last minute but I think the attendance will be surprising.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Jun 21 2012, 07:54 PM
Post #29

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Every time I even mention thinking about attending an event I get PMs and e-mails warning me not to. You bring the wrong kind of tranny to one event and no one ever forgets.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 21 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #30

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Jun 21 2012, 11:22 AM) *

Andy's reply describes both the RRC and the Route 66. The G & R is all Brainstorming.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jun 21 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Ah Joe....the spiritual conscience of the 914 World (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Great topic. I am thinking to the events I have been to, the G&R sticks out and the Halloween Run last year. I would have gone to the RRC but the car just wasn't running right...I feared to lean...and didn't make it. Kinda of speaks to Mark's statement. Maybe we should encourage folks to take their other rides if the teener is on jackstands? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Mostly because of the spectrum of cars and people (including women) that were there.
Also just the general knowledge sharing(aka BSing). Nobody knows about these cars more than the folks here.

Dr. Evil's clinic got me involved initially and also just folks that have opened up their garages to work on their cars.....(seemingly a dying art).

Anyway great topic...thanks Joe.
+Quote Post
al weidman
post Jun 21 2012, 08:57 PM
Post #32

Al Weidman

Member No.: 8,736

Hi Joe, good thread. I gotta say that the Tahoe WCR was one of the best times I have had at an event. The rally and drive were fun but Saturday evening was what I enjoyed the most. Connected some faces with avatars and made some lasting friendships. I also discovered I like ice cold Cazadores shared with friends. Thanks Joe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 21 2012, 09:42 PM
Post #33

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I have the same feelings Joe but then I reallize that some people have family obligations, kids, relatives, jobs, family vacations, soccer practice etc. In my case I sometimes think my Wife is glad to see me leave for a few days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I agree with many here though that sometimes the BS sessions are the most enjoyable. I try to never miss the G&R. The Halloween run was great last year and hope we can do the same this year.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Jun 21 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #34

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

Excuse me but, The Holloween Run has been Great for the last 4 years.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 21 2012, 10:00 PM
Post #35

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jun 21 2012, 08:59 PM) *

Excuse me but, The Holloween Run has been Great for the last 4 years.

I've only been on two of them, so I'll have to take your word for it. (And I usually do). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jun 21 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #36

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

I think one of the reasons is that most of the recent bigger events seemed to have been centered around autocross and track days.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) What track days? I recall a recurring theme of autox's tacked onto the end of events but I cant recall an an actual Lapping event ...ever?
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 21 2012, 10:23 PM
Post #37

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

IRS crushed my nut sack. I have to work harder not smarter for the next couple months. Hard to climb a ladder bow legged... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 21 2012, 10:23 PM
Post #38

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 21 2012, 09:16 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) What track days? I recall a recurring theme of autox's tacked onto the end of events but I cant recall an an actual Lapping event ...ever?

Lancaster? Medford? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 21 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

I do think alot of teeners like having an autoX. I think don right a 1 day autox added to the WCR is great. It should be in addition & not the focus. I guess it all depends on the event.

So the question is what is more of a draw for folks wanting to go to a WCR? Does the autoX make you want to come? Or does it detract from you wanting to go?
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jun 21 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #40

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

I stand corrected I was at the "streets", but I missed Medford.
O5 was Da bomb! One reason was that track day ... another was, how organizeed it was. We miss you Howard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Its hell getting old (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 08:23 AM