Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gathering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JoeSharp
Gathering, why aren’t we getting the participation that we should be? We have over 14,000 members now. I can’t say as all of the last 4 or 5 events that we have had here I have considered flops as far as numbers go. I don’t understand it.
One of the reasons I enjoy gathering so much is the Brainstorming. I feel that it is very important because, we as creative individuals will be turning ourselves lose into Mother Nature’s realties in a creation of our own invention. Brainstorming with anyone that can get themselves to an event and adding their IQ to mine, I am sure that the total will be at least an IQ of 120. And who knows, they may have a totally different insight into what you are thinking about.
Just because you are here you are a unique individual. You have an affair with a car that even Volkswagen pushed off on Porsche. And for years Porsche owners have looked down on us and treated us like they had something shoved down their throat.
No matter who you are, you will find Respect at our gatherings. You will find unique individuals like yourself, interested in the same things as all of the other unique individuals there.
So my question is how can we reverse the trend and get more people to come to our gatherings?
Sorry about the long post.
ThePaintedMan
confused24.gif If I weren't in Florida and even remotely close, I'd love to hang with you folks. There isn't much at all going on in this part of Florida, unfortunately either.

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jun 21 2012, 11:22 AM) *

Gathering, why aren’t we getting the participation that we should be? We have over 14,000 members now. I can’t say as all of the last 4 or 5 events that we have had here I have considered flops as far as numbers go. I don’t understand it.
One of the reasons I enjoy gathering so much is the Brainstorming. I feel that it is very important because, we as creative individuals will be turning ourselves lose into Mother Nature’s realties in a creation of our own invention. Brainstorming with anyone that can get themselves to an event and adding their IQ to mine, I am sure that the total will be at least an IQ of 120. And who knows, they may have a totally different insight into what you are thinking about.
Just because you are here you are a unique individual. You have an affair with a car that even Volkswagen pushed off on Porsche. And for years Porsche owners have looked down on us and treated us like they had something shoved down their throat.
No matter who you are, you will find Respect at our gatherings. You will find unique individuals like yourself, interested in the same things as all of the other unique individuals there.
So my question is how can we reverse the trend and get more people to come to our gatherings?
Sorry about the long post.

McMark
I share similar feelings, Joe. confused24.gif

I'm always trying to push the "My 914 Doesn't Run" crowd to show up anyway. I've been to more 914 events than I can count, and I've only had a 914 at two of them. laugh.gif
Dr Evil
I go to what ever I can. I try to throw some here and there as well. I have only had a car at a few in recent history wink.gif Not counting the one at Scotty B's since it is stored there pending paint and body rolleyes.gif

I feel ya, Joe. You have been around a long time, and I remember the days of old when we would have epic gatherings.
aircooledtechguy
I think lately anyway, the economy has played a big part in folks turning out for at least the larger events like WCR here in the west coast. Folks are tending to hold their $$$ closer right now. Going to an event cost real money especially if it's way out of town.

I can say that up in the PNW, we have quite a good bunch of folks who get together fairly regularly. Our Teener Tuesdays are a lot of fun. What keeps these good, besides the fun folks, is that they cost only gas money and maybe a few bucks for food or beer to share. Basically there are no real expectations at the occasional GTGs; it's all brainstorming (is that the new word for BS'ing)

The thing that keeps people away is last minute event planning. The bigger the event, the more planning is needed and thus a longer lead time. People need to feel like there is going to be some organization to any event or enthusiasm will not build and the numbers will be down.
76-914
Dawn Patrol - We try to do our part. poke.gif BTW, I haven't seen you at one of our runs. Our next will be in your neck of the woods. Just got to get with Cesar for the route planning.
rhodyguy
nice post joe.

george, when your car is running you'll find the time to attend an event and you'll make new friends and have more fun than you can imagine. even w/o a 914 you should try to make it to the Series 9 function.

getting to the party is 60% of the fun. running with a pack of 914s down the interstate is a blast. the 05' WCC was over 2200 miles rt for me. what happens in joe's motor home stays in joe's motor home. sort of....

k
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jun 21 2012, 08:22 AM) *

I think one of the reasons is that most of the recent bigger events seemed to have been centered around autocross and track days.

Frankly, i think that distracts from what made those early events so great, which was the people being able to get to know each other and talk cars in a relaxed atmosphere where you are not constantly pressured to "do something".

IMHO, a nice scenic drive, a Saturday evening dinner and maybe a car show/judging is all you need in terms of scheduled activities.

The rest of the time should be dedicated to hanging out in the parking lot of the hotel with a keg of beer and your 914 friends ...

popcorn[1].gif
poorsche914
Good topic, Joe. I have wondered the same thing concerning 914 gatherings. I see car club after car club meet to run the Dragon - Miatas, VW R32s, Crossfires, WRXs, Mitsubishis, Can-am Spyders and T-rexes, etc, etc. They each draw anywhere from low 100s to thousands of participants blink.gif When MUSR was held here to run the Dragon, there were about 40 cars - not sure how many "participants".

I know the 914 is few and far between when compared to these newer vehicles. Each month I see a handful of 914s for sale in my area. I have met 8 other local teeners. Who knows how many other 914 owners there are in east Tennessee? Guess how many show up to Porsche club events or even Cars & Coffee? Only 2 or 3 sad.gif

What type of meet is preferred? Multiday, multi-event or single day, drive, hang out, drive, and go home? Or something in between?

Just saw SirAndy's post... agree.gif
Keep the scheduled events low key... drive, show, BS (BrainStorm), eat

driving.gif
seanery
agree.gif with Andy

When we were doing the FFCs they seemed best when we did group stuff, scenic drive, poker rally, cookout, show-n-shine, etc...bonding and bs is what makes the events a success IMHO.
arkitect
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 21 2012, 09:58 AM) *

I think one of the reasons is that most of the recent bigger events seemed to have been centered around autocross and track days.

Frankly, i think that distracts from what made those early events so great, which was the people being able to get to know each other and talk cars in a relaxed atmosphere where you are not constantly pressured to "do something".

IMHO, a nice scenic drive, a Saturday evening dinner and maybe a car show/judging is all you need in terms of scheduled activities.

The rest of the time should be dedicated to hanging out in the parking lot of the hotel with a keg of beer and your 914 friends ...

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif I have only been to a few events but the one I did attend, WCR at Tahoe, I really enjoyed. We had a large parking lot to gather with room for all the cars in one spot and no one to hassle us. I enjoyed just the hanging out and bs'ing...err I mean brainstorming.

Dave
Black22
I have only been to one event in my 5 years as a 914 owner. Thomas' Halloween Run 2011. I had a GREAT time and all we did was meet up, have coffee, drive some twisties up to Mt. Baldy, eat lunch together at the top of the hill and parted ways. I really enjoyed it! My wife came along and even had a good time, thanks to the other ladies in attendance. IMHO that's all that's really need for a good event.
Events like WCC & RRC take alot of planning on the organizers part as well as the attendees. I'm not so sure I'd be able to talk my wife into using one of my two weeks a year to take a vacation centered around my car. Not to mention the dates these events usually occur. In my line of work, vacations between Memorial Day and Labor Day are strictly prohibited.
Valy

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif
My car is not setup for any kind of race/AX and that's not something that I'm interested in. The last WCR was also too long in my opinion. I can't afford to spend all the weekend at a WCR event and my wife doesn't enjoy motel 6.

KaptKaos
I can't do a whole weekend thing. Heck, lately I haven't even been able to make it to the G&R.

Life's been getting in the way, with the kids and all.

Miss seeing the gang too.

rmital
...way back in 2006, I'd organize wrenching sessions at a local garage (MovieTimeCars) and get a dozen or more 914ers; and even more that had project cars would show for the fun....
....now it's like herding cats....maybe one good get together a year.
even the Sunday morning drives have fallen off. (now I hook up with the 911 guys from the Pelican Board and take drives with them)

a few 914ers like nychef (richie) moved on....Leo too...Nate keeps f'ing up his car. So turnover has and priorites have affected the enthusiasm around here; or at least that's what I think

so to try to reverse the situation confused24.gif ....I keep trying to help the newbie with their newly purchased projects and hope to renew the northeast contingency.
...and why I hangout at the Club site too. It seems to attract new owners...and some seem to be from around the tri-state area.
Mountain914
It's not just us (or California). It is the current trend with the PCA as well.
Cultures change, things cycle - remain true and things will get better.

My reasons? Location, location, location. I am more likely to head deeper into the mountains when I have free time then toward town where the events occur. And for events on workdays, forget it. My main transportation is public bus to and from work, 9 hour days, 2 hours of commuting and I'm pooped (since I'm OLD!) therefore too lazy to attend weekday events. I respect and love you all wub.gif , but you just aren't going to tear me from my home life on the weekends with the wifey-poo.
G e o r g e
Andy's reply describes both the RRC and the Route 66. The G & R is all Brainstorming.

But for me the Kapt nailed it, Life gets in the way.

Trying to figure out how to swing the RRC this year myself
VaccaRabite
Its not just cars.

There has been a lack of attendance at non-car hobbies too.
I don't reenact much any more, but the folks I know that do say the numbers have not improved much in the past number of years. in the late 90s through 2007 events were BIG. Now we are lucky to get 4 or 5 guys from our unit on the field.

The guys I used to sail with are always scrounging for crew. They used to be turning crew away.

The worst attended ECC we had was not the one during the torrents of rain. It was the one on a spectacular mild sunny day at a historic car AX. So there that is part of the issue.

But I think the economy is playing a part. Gas got expensive, and lots of folks either lost their jobs or felt there jobs being threatened. This did not effect me, but it did effect a lot of folks I know.

And life changes... In the past 4 years I've had 2 kids. All hobbies took a back seat. My slow pace of work pre-kids seemed like a million miles an hour post kids. I bet, if we did some sort of age study here, we would find that the median age is increasing since 2003. We get a few young folk coming on, but for many of us - we don't have the time to party like we did 5 years ago. In my case, it may be another 15 years before I have free time like I used to.

Zach
eric9144
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 21 2012, 09:04 AM) *

Dawn Patrol - We try to do our part. poke.gif

For me it's been finding time to get to a bigger event...it's not that I don't dream of WCR's...it just that 2 kids and a wife take priority... (read between the lines, the wife says no slap.gif )

The Dawn Patrol runs have been GREAT, sometimes we get a lot of 914's...sometimes not so many, but it's a good way for us all to get out, shoot the sh!t and drive the piss out of our cars...and still get home before noon. I think small events like that reinforce all the reasons we choose 914's and also that it's not just the cars--the DP crowd are great guys (and sometimes gals) that are truly fun to hang out with.

I think if there were more small events like that to build peoples enthusiasm and comradery, we might see more turnout at the bigger events as well...
A&PGirl
There's nothing here for Oklahomans, Kansas folk or West Arkansas folk to do either. It's hard to justify an 8hr+ round trip just to get to some sort of get together. The local PCA hasn't done anything but racing and auto-x for the last several years.

confused24.gif
matthepcat
I think there needs to be more local events that happen regularly instead of big events. When I was actively involved in the Subaru community, we had weekly meeting all over the place. It was meeting up for a few hours in the evening, with maybe a mountain cruise.

There were alot of younger folks, so I think younger people have less responsibility that takes up their free time (In general).
mstein95
Just my .02 - for us owners with children in school its near impossible to take the time off to travel to events scheduled during the school year. Much easier to attend during the summer. My wife just asked me when we were leaving for the WCC this year and I had to teller it had already been held - she said "that's unfortunate - how was the turnout?"

JRust
Who knows. Even planning an event is a big crapshoot. You try to not make it to structured. Yet still make the group as a whole happy. It's a tough deal with such a diverse group. I am good hanging in the Parking lot. Even though I don't drink I still enjoy being out there shooting the bull with everyone. It is tough for everyone time wise. We are all so busy all the time doing meanless crap. We just can't seem to make the time wacko.gif .

I shoot for making WCR 1st. Then hopefully a route 66 & Red Rocks mixed in. Realistically can I make all 3 every year? Hell no! Although I think I managed it one year. I couldn't make WCR this year. I'm planning on Red Rocks but you never know. I have no problem making an event without a 914. There is always an open seat in a teener if you aren't a Dick slap.gif . I don't think many people consider getting a cheap flight to an event confused24.gif
Tom_T

popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif ...& the how-to workshops were a big attraction! smile.gif

That said, WCR has conflicted with my being out of town or down for surgery recovery in `09 when I 1st found this site & it was here in OC, as have most of the G&Rs except one & the 1st one of Jonathan's at GPR. sad.gif

And I've not had my 914 done to drive for any of those, but came anyway.

Sometimes stromberg.gif happens to get in the way of the fun stuff! dry.gif
Lennies914
I noticed we have a working calender on the site now but nothing on it. confused24.gif
I entered an event that is happening in August.
Maybe if it were to get used people would get in the habit of viewing it. Even if someone was planning to spend their weekend in the garage working on their car, they could post it, and maybe someone local might feel like a drive and stop by to lend a hand.
Just my .02
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jun 21 2012, 02:14 PM) *
I noticed we have a working calender on the site now but nothing on it. confused24.gif

That calendar has been here and working since 2002 ...
poke.gif biggrin.gif
markb
This last WCR was only a couple of hours from me, but as others have said, the economy has taken it's toll, and I'm not interested in AX'ing, so it didn't make sense to go. I've been to a few gatherings & had a great time, but I'm more interested in getting to know my fellow 914 owners than I am trying to break my car on an AX course.
balljoint
Every time I even mention thinking about attending an event I get PMs and e-mails warning me not to. confused24.gif You bring the wrong kind of tranny to one event and no one ever forgets.

Anyhoo, working on an event of my own in the "summer's here" thread in the sandbox.

It's kinda last minute but I think the attendance will be surprising.

smile.gif
Jeffs9146
Every time I even mention thinking about attending an event I get PMs and e-mails warning me not to. You bring the wrong kind of tranny to one event and no one ever forgets.

WTF.gif confused24.gif
76-914
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Jun 21 2012, 11:22 AM) *

Andy's reply describes both the RRC and the Route 66. The G & R is all Brainstorming.

agree.gif
914_teener
Ah Joe....the spiritual conscience of the 914 World smilie_pokal.gif

Great topic. I am thinking to the events I have been to, the G&R sticks out and the Halloween Run last year. I would have gone to the RRC but the car just wasn't running right...I feared to lean...and didn't make it. Kinda of speaks to Mark's statement. Maybe we should encourage folks to take their other rides if the teener is on jackstands? laugh.gif

Mostly because of the spectrum of cars and people (including women) that were there.
Also just the general knowledge sharing(aka BSing). Nobody knows about these cars more than the folks here.

Dr. Evil's clinic got me involved initially and also just folks that have opened up their garages to work on their cars.....(seemingly a dying art).

Anyway great topic...thanks Joe.
al weidman
Hi Joe, good thread. I gotta say that the Tahoe WCR was one of the best times I have had at an event. The rally and drive were fun but Saturday evening was what I enjoyed the most. Connected some faces with avatars and made some lasting friendships. I also discovered I like ice cold Cazadores shared with friends. Thanks Joe. driving.gif drunk.gif
Elliot Cannon
I have the same feelings Joe but then I reallize that some people have family obligations, kids, relatives, jobs, family vacations, soccer practice etc. In my case I sometimes think my Wife is glad to see me leave for a few days. lol-2.gif laugh.gif I agree with many here though that sometimes the BS sessions are the most enjoyable. I try to never miss the G&R. The Halloween run was great last year and hope we can do the same this year.
Cheers, Elliot
JoeSharp
Excuse me but, The Holloween Run has been Great for the last 4 years.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jun 21 2012, 08:59 PM) *

Excuse me but, The Holloween Run has been Great for the last 4 years.

I've only been on two of them, so I'll have to take your word for it. (And I usually do). biggrin.gif
914werke

blink.gif What track days? I recall a recurring theme of autox's tacked onto the end of events but I cant recall an an actual Lapping event ...ever?
rick 918-S
IRS crushed my nut sack. I have to work harder not smarter for the next couple months. Hard to climb a ladder bow legged... dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 21 2012, 09:16 PM) *

blink.gif What track days? I recall a recurring theme of autox's tacked onto the end of events but I cant recall an an actual Lapping event ...ever?

Lancaster? Medford? confused24.gif
JRust
I do think alot of teeners like having an autoX. I think don right a 1 day autox added to the WCR is great. It should be in addition & not the focus. I guess it all depends on the event.

So the question is what is more of a draw for folks wanting to go to a WCR? Does the autoX make you want to come? Or does it detract from you wanting to go?
914werke
I stand corrected I was at the "streets", but I missed Medford.
O5 was Da bomb! One reason was that track day ... another was, how organizeed it was. We miss you Howard. sad.gif
Its hell getting old wacko.gif
rick 918-S
It may just be me but there are forces pulling on our wallets these days. Inflation is running rampid. I costs serious money now to blast across country at 20 mpg. Everyone seems worried about when the next shoe is going to drop, all the blaming and constant negitive messaging is grinding into our psy-che. We need to have a toast around a bon fire with friends and talk about the good things in life. Now that's an event
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 21 2012, 09:46 PM) *
We need to have a toast around a bon fire with friends and talk about the good things in life. Now that's an event

agree.gif
Lennies914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 21 2012, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jun 21 2012, 02:14 PM) *

That calendar has been here and working since 2002 ...
poke.gif biggrin.gif

Sorry Andy. I thought it replaced the "events" page. biggrin.gif

Never the less, why isn't it being used? confused24.gif
Steve
Its hard for me to get away for more than a day with family obligations. I have totally enjoyed the WCR Streets of Willow, Joe's famous Barbeques and the G&R. I would love to join the dawn patrol when I get my car off of Jackstands. We also use to do a 914 breakfast meeting on the weekend in Newport beach. There was also a get together at In&Out on the 91, but i only attended a couple of times due to the distance and being on a week night.
Cars and Coffee in Irvine is also fun on Saturday. We should try to get some 914's there early and park on the side, so we can be together.
euro911
I made a statement on NARP a few years ago that the floundering economy was sure to negatively affect the number of gatherings people were going to attend sad.gif

I'm in the process of organizing the long overdue "Lift Erection Party / BBQ and Tech Day" down here in the LAX South Bay area ... (looking forward to your assistance at the grille, Joe) jsharp.gif

There won't be much driving (other than getting here) ... but we're planning to erect the Danmar 4-post lift, tech session (subject TBD), smallish swap meet and BBQ at the shop confused24.gif
oldschool
So How many 914 dude/or chicks are in and around Los Angeles...?
Lets go hang out at some burger joint like the VW people do. piratenanner.gif
I'm in Pomona...whats your crib?
phatnine11
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 21 2012, 10:33 PM) *

I made a statement on NARP a few years ago that the floundering economy was sure to negatively affect the number of gatherings people were going to attend sad.gif

I'm in the process of organizing the long overdue "Lift Erection Party / BBQ and Tech Day" down here in the LAX South Bay area ... (looking forward to your assistance at the grille, Joe) jsharp.gif

There won't be much driving (other than getting here) ... but we're planning to erect the Danmar 4-post lift, tech session (subject TBD), smallish swap meet and BBQ at the shop confused24.gif

What model Danmar do you have? I have the 6000 model and I wish I had another foot of ceiling clearance.
balljoint
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 21 2012, 09:54 PM) *

Every time I even mention thinking about attending an event I get PMs and e-mails warning me not to. You bring the wrong kind of tranny to one event and no one ever forgets.

WTF.gif confused24.gif

Jeff,

You are invited to my Pants Party too. See you there! smile.gif
rhodyguy
streets of willows rich. 05'. remember?

k
DEC
The most of the 914 drivers I know are locally oriented.
Exceptions prove the rule.

They prever a local come together or local meetings

Here are two pics from the last local meeting in May with
9 of 14 ( biggrin.gif ) teeners from my area

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.