Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gathering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
toolguy
Interesting that 2 of the 9 cars in the picture have US Side Marker lights. . . makes me wonder how many US cars have made their way back overseas. .
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Well I will jump in here : with my 2 cents.
I have been around since 1999, The 1st. meet I went to was Hershey ,2000

had a great time meat some great guy,s ( Non rust Scott ) and others,but got

pissed that there were only 8 914's in the peoples choise area.

I stewed about that a month and decided to have one in the Mid West . I had no

idea what to do and how to do it. But using the Club site and P.Parts in one month

of Promotion I got 17 914's and 8 or 10 guys with out there cars. That was a

learning experence for me, So 2 wk's after I started getting ready for the next yr.

With family,and help from 1 local guy, I had a 914'er form Columbus put to

geather a website for me. Buy the Summer of the next yr. I had collected 250

E-mail adddress of teeners in Ohio, Mich, E. Penn.Ind, Ill. I got 34 914's that yr.

Decided it was 2 much work for me ( age) so in turned it over to a Big Group in

Mich. and they had it for the next 2 yrs.

My whole point is we can have nice ,shows,meets,get to geathers . but it a lot of

work you need a lot of help ( a lot) . I would do it all over again, but now at

74 . That has passed also.

You young guy's it is in your hands, Please do it! Ask for help from the

comminuty. This my rant, thank,s for reading it. My 2 cents also !!!

Dave aka BARBERDAVE slap.gif
VaccaRabite
It is a lot of work to set up an event and get the right mix of scheded activity and free form booze up.

For events like Hershey, I no longer try to take much of a organizer role other then starting the thread in January or early feb. once the thread gets going the party will usually self organize and all I need to do is bump it every now and again. Bit Hershey is special as lots of folks would go there either way, and all we are planning is a central meetup location during and after.

The ECC was a lot harder, as it did not have the draw of a huge swap meet to gather folks. I had thought holding it at an historic AX would provide a Hershey like draw, but we ended up with the worst turnout in ECC history. I think it almost killed the event until Scotty started having it at his shop. Granted, one data point is not a trend, but I learned a big lesson with ECC 2010 and would not try to schedule a 914 event around an AX again. It makes total sense too.

People gather for the people and not the cars. In 2010 I forgot that and made the event around the cars.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 22 2012, 11:43 AM) *
People gather for the people and not the cars.

agree.gif
That's my point and i'm sticking to it.

If you want a good turnout for your event, make it about the people first and about the cars second ...
popcorn[1].gif
Mark Henry
How about the weekend of parties?
Every region has a party the same weekend.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 22 2012, 03:05 PM) *
How about the weekend of parties?
Every region has a party the same weekend.

That was my idea when Teenergeddon first was being discussed. Rather than have one "central" location where only a few would show up, have several different locations so that no one has to drive more than a few hours. What would really be cool is to connect each location with big monitors and live internet cams. It would be one HUGE virtual party of 914 enthusiasts. beerchug.gif
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 22 2012, 06:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 21 2012, 09:54 PM) *

Every time I even mention thinking about attending an event I get PMs and e-mails warning me not to. You bring the wrong kind of tranny to one event and no one ever forgets.

WTF.gif confused24.gif

Jeff,

You are invited to my Pants Party too. See you there! smile.gif

I just cant beleave that people here would do that! What did you do? blink.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 22 2012, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 22 2012, 06:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 21 2012, 09:54 PM) *

Every time I even mention thinking about attending an event I get PMs and e-mails warning me not to. You bring the wrong kind of tranny to one event and no one ever forgets.

WTF.gif confused24.gif

Jeff,

You are invited to my Pants Party too. See you there! smile.gif

I just cant beleave that people here would do that! What did you do? blink.gif

forgive him .... he's Canadian!

flag.gif
Dr Evil
I would be willing to have a party at my house, but there are only 2-3 914 guys around here. Small party rolleyes.gif
abnrdo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 21 2012, 11:50 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 21 2012, 09:46 PM) *
We need to have a toast around a bon fire with friends and talk about the good things in life. Now that's an event

agree.gif

Joe you give me even more prodding to get a group together in the Kansas City area.
As with previous clubs I have been involved with (NAISSO)(CARISSMA) they always had smaller monthly, if not weekly events. Even if it was just getting together to have a cookout or beer and a outdoor fire. I learned way more from other guys than any manufacturers manual, and even picked up some good investment advice. After awhile, these people become family. The kind of guys you drop everything just to help him remove a transmission or pick up his kids at school.

beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 22 2012, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 22 2012, 11:43 AM) *
People gather for the people and not the cars.

agree.gif
That's my point and i'm sticking to it.

If you want a good turnout for your event, make it about the people first and about the cars second ...
popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif
euro911
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 22 2012, 01:57 PM) *
... What would really be cool is to connect each location with big monitors and live internet cams. It would be one HUGE virtual party of 914 enthusiasts. beerchug.gif
I was just thinking that same thing laugh.gif ... that'd be a blast. Invoking new technology is kind of cool.

Steve (ahdoman) and I put on a 'drive-in' movie in the parking lot of the hotel at the 2009 WCR ... watched the original 'Gone in 60 Seconds' and my wife ran the free snack bar cheer.gif
Click to view attachment

Setting up the screen (couldn't find any other pix) dry.gif
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
agree.gif with Andy. People, then "places" (give them something they don't see at home) then cars.

I think that's why RRC in Moab was such a tremendous event. The people came from Colorado, Utard, California and even Minnesota. The scenery was OUT OF THIS WORLD (car companies come here to take pictures of their latest mount). So you had people, a cool place and of course, cool cars. Stories abound, Joe O nearly got arrested, some barely made it. Some barely made it home but ALL had a whoop ass time. Beaver? Not so sure (there is a petting zoo there) confused24.gif

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Everybody likes get togethers, everybody likes to go to "cool places" and, most everyone enjoys a cool beer and the company of a fellow 914 weirdos in the parking lot as night falls.

Bottom line. Choose thy local wisely and make it fun.

P.S. Steve... are those JBL EON's????? WTF.gif biggrin.gif
euro911
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Jun 22 2012, 05:52 AM) *
What model Danmar do you have? I have the 6000 model and I wish I had another foot of ceiling clearance.
It's a D-7 ...
Post some pix of your setup, maybe you'll get some recommendations as how to modify the environment (boxing the ceiling joists, etc.)
DEC
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jun 22 2012, 06:34 PM) *

Interesting that 2 of the 9 cars in the picture have US Side Marker lights. . . makes me wonder how many US cars have made their way back overseas. .

I think the most 914 came back in 80ties if
the price level in the US was far down for 914.

The orange six came back in 90ties the orange -4 came back 2003
and the grenn -4 came back in 2008
smj
As mentioned in another thread, I go through cycles of more or less activity with different hobbies. And on the p-car front, sometimes the local PCA region consumes all available energy. Which brings me to an apology for dropping off the map after offering to help with WCR12, back before the planning really got started. When I finally surfaced again it was a couple weeks after the event had happened. sad.gif

So I checked the Events Forum and the Calendar for things coming up, and only saw a MUSR thread in Events, and that Lennie914 had put the NorCal VW & Porsche Treffen on the Calendar for Aug 5th. I know Randy/RoadGlue has a Fun Run in Sonoma on August 18th-19th, so I threw that on the Calendar w/ a link to Randy's thread...

If you find the threads before I do, put 'em up or paste 'em here?
balljoint
You guys are soooo right. It is about the people, we only have a few 914s at the bash at my place this weekend. Most people had to fly in and leave their cars at home. Not stopping us from having a great time though.

Dave's Party - Live Event Uploader

balljoint
Jeff, if you don't remember much from this weekend then you should probably click on that link.
IronHillRestorations
With the advent of communication guys should be able to throw together smaller regional events without a big to do. Pick a place that's got decent accommodations, ideally an on site pub or bar, and call it an event. If you get a dozen folks together to hang out, and talk 914's, you have an event.

Now the "All 914 Music Jam", that's going to take a bit more planning.

I came up with this slogan after the 1st Mid-West Renegade Festival in '95: "This week 914 event, next week Betty Ford"
Dr Evil
I would be down to rock-out for a 914 crowd aktion035.gif
CrashDown
I'm gonna host a BBQ at the house sometime this summer. It's really just an excuse to throw water ballons at people, and eat alot of food. Not sure if anyone will show up, but when I get a set date I'll post it up here.
smj
QUOTE(CrashDown @ Jun 24 2012, 08:57 PM) *

I'm gonna host a BBQ at the house sometime this summer. It's really just an excuse to throw water ballons at people, and eat alot of food. Not sure if anyone will show up, but when I get a set date I'll post it up here.

I predict you'll get a good turn out if you do - lots of us in the Bay Area. beerchug.gif I'll definitely turn out just to see how much you look like your avatar... lol-2.gif
Thestigz06
Im glad somebody posted about this and its not just me thinking it. We do indeed need more events. I love G&R, i sometimes dont buy anything and instead just meet people which has been said time and time again. Also Dawn Patrols are FANTASTIC fun and im super excited to see them get going again!

If anyone needs help in planning So. Cal events then feel free to contact me! Dont get me wrong, i love my VW friends but i cant help but feel like the outsider.
ThinAir
Grandkids made my life a whole lot busier and made it more of a challenge to get to things.

For me there is something magical about the Red Rock Classic and I wouldn't miss it [well actually I missed Torey, UT but I was wearing the shirt that day in France and hanging around with Johannes so it was a remote RRC ;-) ]. It's just a drive and a lot of parking lot time, but it's perfect for that area.

I will always regret that I did not make WCR 2005 because my car wasn't running, but I made it to WCR 2009 and had a blast. I've made it to WCR at Portland and Medford as well. I used to do Rt 66, but decided RRC & WCR are more important to me.

To me, WCR 2009 (Irvine/Lancaster) and WCR 2011 (Medford) were perfect events - lots of parking lot time, great drives, and a great track event added on at one end. The chance to cut loose and just drive my car is really special and I just don't get the opportunity because PCA does most their stuff in this area down in Phoenix and I just can't get myself motivated for it. Of the two WCRs, Medford gets my nod for best event because it was well planned and the drive was very well led.

The time required for WCR gets to be a factor for me, Oregon is a long way to go without just making a vacation out of it (which is what we did for Medford). Unfortunately this is going to be tougher in the future because we lost radiator fans in our Eurovan Camper on both occasions that we've towed the 914 across Nevada and my DW says no more towing (I'm going to look into an add-on tranny cooler).

Going to these events has really enriched my experience of being on this forum. There is nothing like meeting someone face-to-face. Yes, it's a 914 event, and driving is an important aspect, but it's really about the people. I go as often as my overall circumstances will allow.

Thanks for asking Joe - looking forward to seeing you at RRC 2012 in beautiful Beaver, Utah!
jimkelly
my 2 sense

i am happy to simply arrive at the event and arrive back home under my own power.

to one ecc my wife had the job of using a bungee cord to keep my shifter in 5th gear.

to another ecc my car was leaking oil like crazy and the trans was making a good awful noise.

to another ecc my v8 car partially lost its alternator but that too was bungee cord solved.

i'm a fan of the overnighters with tents and porta potties, so that drinking eating music and exaggerated fish stories can occur without concern.

typically having evil there makes us all feel like we are wrenching while never actually getting dirty or having to learn what a wrench is : )

sitting out in a blazing hot parking lot isn't for me, i like cool shade : )

and if beyonce is there - even better : ))

oldschool
QUOTE(Thestigz06 @ Jun 25 2012, 01:25 AM) *

Im glad somebody posted about this and its not just me thinking it. We do indeed need more events. I love G&R, i sometimes dont buy anything and instead just meet people which has been said time and time again. Also Dawn Patrols are FANTASTIC fun and im super excited to see them get going again!

If anyone needs help in planning So. Cal events then feel free to contact me! Dont get me wrong, i love my VW friends but i cant help but feel like the outsider.

Im in lets do it....so far thought Ive been busy on Saturdays sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.