Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gathering, Long post with a question.
rick 918-S
post Jun 22 2012, 08:37 PM
Post #61

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 22 2012, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 22 2012, 11:43 AM) *
People gather for the people and not the cars.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
That's my point and i'm sticking to it.

If you want a good turnout for your event, make it about the people first and about the cars second ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 22 2012, 08:54 PM
Post #62

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 22 2012, 01:57 PM) *
... What would really be cool is to connect each location with big monitors and live internet cams. It would be one HUGE virtual party of 914 enthusiasts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
I was just thinking that same thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ... that'd be a blast. Invoking new technology is kind of cool.

Steve (ahdoman) and I put on a 'drive-in' movie in the parking lot of the hotel at the 2009 WCR ... watched the original 'Gone in 60 Seconds' and my wife ran the free snack bar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
Attached Image

Setting up the screen (couldn't find any other pix) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 22 2012, 09:57 PM
Post #63

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) with Andy. People, then "places" (give them something they don't see at home) then cars.

I think that's why RRC in Moab was such a tremendous event. The people came from Colorado, Utard, California and even Minnesota. The scenery was OUT OF THIS WORLD (car companies come here to take pictures of their latest mount). So you had people, a cool place and of course, cool cars. Stories abound, Joe O nearly got arrested, some barely made it. Some barely made it home but ALL had a whoop ass time. Beaver? Not so sure (there is a petting zoo there) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Everybody likes get togethers, everybody likes to go to "cool places" and, most everyone enjoys a cool beer and the company of a fellow 914 weirdos in the parking lot as night falls.

Bottom line. Choose thy local wisely and make it fun.

P.S. Steve... are those JBL EON's????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jun 22 2012, 11:46 PM
Post #64

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Jun 22 2012, 05:52 AM) *
What model Danmar do you have? I have the 6000 model and I wish I had another foot of ceiling clearance.
It's a D-7 ...
Post some pix of your setup, maybe you'll get some recommendations as how to modify the environment (boxing the ceiling joists, etc.)
+Quote Post
DEC
post Jun 22 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 5,104
Region Association: Germany

QUOTE(toolguy @ Jun 22 2012, 06:34 PM) *

Interesting that 2 of the 9 cars in the picture have US Side Marker lights. . . makes me wonder how many US cars have made their way back overseas. .

I think the most 914 came back in 80ties if
the price level in the US was far down for 914.

The orange six came back in 90ties the orange -4 came back 2003
and the grenn -4 came back in 2008
+Quote Post
smj
post Jun 23 2012, 12:31 AM
Post #66

"Dude, Steve from Berkeley."

Member No.: 4,691
Region Association: Northern California

As mentioned in another thread, I go through cycles of more or less activity with different hobbies. And on the p-car front, sometimes the local PCA region consumes all available energy. Which brings me to an apology for dropping off the map after offering to help with WCR12, back before the planning really got started. When I finally surfaced again it was a couple weeks after the event had happened. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

So I checked the Events Forum and the Calendar for things coming up, and only saw a MUSR thread in Events, and that Lennie914 had put the NorCal VW & Porsche Treffen on the Calendar for Aug 5th. I know Randy/RoadGlue has a Fun Run in Sonoma on August 18th-19th, so I threw that on the Calendar w/ a link to Randy's thread...

If you find the threads before I do, put 'em up or paste 'em here?
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Jun 24 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #67

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

You guys are soooo right. It is about the people, we only have a few 914s at the bash at my place this weekend. Most people had to fly in and leave their cars at home. Not stopping us from having a great time though.

Dave's Party - Live Event Uploader

+Quote Post
balljoint
post Jun 24 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #68

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

Jeff, if you don't remember much from this weekend then you should probably click on that link.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 24 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #69

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

With the advent of communication guys should be able to throw together smaller regional events without a big to do. Pick a place that's got decent accommodations, ideally an on site pub or bar, and call it an event. If you get a dozen folks together to hang out, and talk 914's, you have an event.

Now the "All 914 Music Jam", that's going to take a bit more planning.

I came up with this slogan after the 1st Mid-West Renegade Festival in '95: "This week 914 event, next week Betty Ford"
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 24 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #70

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would be down to rock-out for a 914 crowd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
CrashDown
post Jun 24 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #71

Fake Carbon Fiber MASTA!

Member No.: 10,453

I'm gonna host a BBQ at the house sometime this summer. It's really just an excuse to throw water ballons at people, and eat alot of food. Not sure if anyone will show up, but when I get a set date I'll post it up here.
+Quote Post
smj
post Jun 25 2012, 02:22 AM
Post #72

"Dude, Steve from Berkeley."

Member No.: 4,691

QUOTE(CrashDown @ Jun 24 2012, 08:57 PM) *

I'm gonna host a BBQ at the house sometime this summer. It's really just an excuse to throw water ballons at people, and eat alot of food. Not sure if anyone will show up, but when I get a set date I'll post it up here.

I predict you'll get a good turn out if you do - lots of us in the Bay Area. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I'll definitely turn out just to see how much you look like your avatar... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Thestigz06
post Jun 25 2012, 02:25 AM
Post #73

Aspiring Jarhead

Member No.: 12,749

Im glad somebody posted about this and its not just me thinking it. We do indeed need more events. I love G&R, i sometimes dont buy anything and instead just meet people which has been said time and time again. Also Dawn Patrols are FANTASTIC fun and im super excited to see them get going again!

If anyone needs help in planning So. Cal events then feel free to contact me! Dont get me wrong, i love my VW friends but i cant help but feel like the outsider.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Jul 11 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #74

Best friends

Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

Grandkids made my life a whole lot busier and made it more of a challenge to get to things.

For me there is something magical about the Red Rock Classic and I wouldn't miss it [well actually I missed Torey, UT but I was wearing the shirt that day in France and hanging around with Johannes so it was a remote RRC ;-) ]. It's just a drive and a lot of parking lot time, but it's perfect for that area.

I will always regret that I did not make WCR 2005 because my car wasn't running, but I made it to WCR 2009 and had a blast. I've made it to WCR at Portland and Medford as well. I used to do Rt 66, but decided RRC & WCR are more important to me.

To me, WCR 2009 (Irvine/Lancaster) and WCR 2011 (Medford) were perfect events - lots of parking lot time, great drives, and a great track event added on at one end. The chance to cut loose and just drive my car is really special and I just don't get the opportunity because PCA does most their stuff in this area down in Phoenix and I just can't get myself motivated for it. Of the two WCRs, Medford gets my nod for best event because it was well planned and the drive was very well led.

The time required for WCR gets to be a factor for me, Oregon is a long way to go without just making a vacation out of it (which is what we did for Medford). Unfortunately this is going to be tougher in the future because we lost radiator fans in our Eurovan Camper on both occasions that we've towed the 914 across Nevada and my DW says no more towing (I'm going to look into an add-on tranny cooler).

Going to these events has really enriched my experience of being on this forum. There is nothing like meeting someone face-to-face. Yes, it's a 914 event, and driving is an important aspect, but it's really about the people. I go as often as my overall circumstances will allow.

Thanks for asking Joe - looking forward to seeing you at RRC 2012 in beautiful Beaver, Utah!
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jul 11 2012, 06:42 AM
Post #75

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

my 2 sense

i am happy to simply arrive at the event and arrive back home under my own power.

to one ecc my wife had the job of using a bungee cord to keep my shifter in 5th gear.

to another ecc my car was leaking oil like crazy and the trans was making a good awful noise.

to another ecc my v8 car partially lost its alternator but that too was bungee cord solved.

i'm a fan of the overnighters with tents and porta potties, so that drinking eating music and exaggerated fish stories can occur without concern.

typically having evil there makes us all feel like we are wrenching while never actually getting dirty or having to learn what a wrench is : )

sitting out in a blazing hot parking lot isn't for me, i like cool shade : )

and if beyonce is there - even better : ))

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Jul 11 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #76

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

QUOTE(Thestigz06 @ Jun 25 2012, 01:25 AM) *

Im glad somebody posted about this and its not just me thinking it. We do indeed need more events. I love G&R, i sometimes dont buy anything and instead just meet people which has been said time and time again. Also Dawn Patrols are FANTASTIC fun and im super excited to see them get going again!

If anyone needs help in planning So. Cal events then feel free to contact me! Dont get me wrong, i love my VW friends but i cant help but feel like the outsider.

Im in lets do it....so far thought Ive been busy on Saturdays (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 07:21 AM