Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Opinions on rusted floor, This is California for crying outloud
hydroliftin
post Jun 24 2012, 01:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,180
Region Association: Northern California

Long story short - I pulled the seats to get them recovered and this is what I found on the driver's side floor pan near the back firewall. I've never had to deal with this in other classic cars I have owned so I'm not sure what my options are. Is this where Restorartion Design comes in? What panel do you think will be needed to fix this?

This kind of repair is kind of outside the experience of most body shops in the Northern California Bay Area. Have any of you locals had good experience with someone who could do rust repairs?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 22)
worn
post Aug 7 2012, 12:50 PM
Post #21

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Jun 24 2012, 11:17 AM) *

Long story short - I pulled the seats to get them recovered and this is what I found on the driver's side floor pan near the back firewall. I've never had to deal with this in other classic cars I have owned so I'm not sure what my options are. Is this where Restorartion Design comes in? What panel do you think will be needed to fix this?

This kind of repair is kind of outside the experience of most body shops in the Northern California Bay Area. Have any of you locals had good experience with someone who could do rust repairs?

At the risk of actually helping you, when you do find a shop be certain to tell them that replacement panel sections for the floor are available. Else, they might decide to spend hours of shop time fabricating. They may be welding artists with true genius and still not know about a foreign car pushing 40. I notice you can buy the panels from one of our sponsors north of the US border. I know I like them.

Sorry about the rust - and don't listen to the guys telling you not to whine. Complain and blame to your hearts content.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 7 2012, 02:41 PM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) You're paying for peace-of-mind with that repair, not necessity. As long as the rear window isn't leaking, it'll probably stay just like that for another 10 years.
+Quote Post
boogie_man
post Aug 7 2012, 03:27 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,969
Region Association: Southern California

I agree with McMark on piece of mind, and yours is minor enough to clean out
that nasty and kitty-hair it up and undercoat it right you'd be back in business.
I have to change my left rear floor pan which is not a walk in the park as you
need to remove it very cleanly, transfer or change out the seat mount brackets
& parts as well as cut the holes for the plugs and caulk them nicely, etch, sound
deadening pads & jamb. If you can keep it dry, you can patch that floor all
day long. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!

Scott
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 05:13 AM