Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chris Foley's Tangerine Racing shift linkage kit
Luke M
post Jul 16 2019, 06:32 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 15 2019, 05:19 AM) *

I have a Rennshift and one of Chris's kits in my car. I really like that combo.

It was touchy to get adjusted properly, but the car shifts way easier now. Night and day different.

Zach

Hi Zach,

I came across this thread just in time. I'm working on putting together some parts for my side shift conv. on my factory 914-6.
I have a new Rennshifter for my factory 914-6 and now looking at getting the rest of the side shift linkage. I'm looking at the Tangerine Racing shift rod kit which comes with the trans shift housing dual bushing mod and the precision shift adjuster.
Would you happen to have any pics of the trans shift housing mod done ?
Any issues installing/adjusting it ?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 16 2019, 08:16 AM
Post #22

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 16 2019, 08:32 AM) *

I have a new Rennshifter for my factory 914-6 and now looking at getting the rest of the side shift linkage. I'm looking at the Tangerine Racing shift rod kit which comes with the trans shift housing dual bushing mod and the precision shift adjuster.

You will be modifying the shift console on the transmission, which is a lot easier to do with the transmission out of the car.

The smart way to do this is to drain the transmission, but I just dammed up the top vents and nothing leaked out.

Once the spherical bushing is in, grease the hell out of it. it is TIGHT against the shifter bar - which it needs to be. Grease will help. I've either gotten used to it, or its broken in a little.

The splined bar going into the console lever was a PITA to get in and indexed properly. Everything has tighter tolerances now.

When I adjusted the shifter, I needed to clearance something (I can't recall what at the moment) where there was an impingement making it difficult going into the 4/5 plane. I know the shift rod was making contact with something, I just can't remember where. I do recall it being easy to remedy once I found it. After I found that, the shifter adjusted easily. For shifter adjustments I used DrEvils notes.

Chris provides templates for making all your cuts and holes that need drilling.

I've got pics of just about everything I've done to this car over the past 15 (holy shit - 15?!) years... Its just a question of finding them. I can find the bearing install but will have to search for (or more likely just reshoot) a pic of the console mod.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1563286560.1.jpg)
Spherical bearing installed.

if you are on the fence about this product and you have a Rennshifter- don't be. Buy it. I'm glad I did.

One final word - Mike referred to me as a "horrible person" for lopping off the ear of my perfectly fine shifter console. Maybe ask him for a console with a busted ear already before making the mod. But if you don't be sure to take pictures and tag him in them so you get your dose of the Shreck as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Zach
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 16 2019, 08:18 AM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 16 2019, 10:16 AM) *

You will be modifying the shift console on the transmission, which is a lot easier to do with the transmission out of the car.

The smart way to do this is to drain the transmission, but I just dammed up the top vents and nothing leaked out.

Once the spherical bushing is in, grease the hell out of it. it is TIGHT against the shifter bar - which it needs to be. Grease will help. I've either gotten used to it, or its broken in a little.

The splined bar going into the console lever was a PITA to get in and indexed properly. Everything has tighter tolerances now.

When I adjusted the shifter, I needed to clearance something (I can't recall what at the moment) where there was an impingement making it difficult going into the 4/5 plane. I know the shift rod was making contact with something, I just can't remember where. I do recall it being easy to remedy once I found it. After I found that, the shifter adjusted easily. For shifter adjustments I used DrEvils notes.

I've got pics of just about everything I've done to this car over the past 15 (holy shit - 15?!) years... Its just a question of finding them. I can find the bearing install but will have to search for (or more likely just reshoot) a pic of the console mod.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1563286560.1.jpg)

if you are on the fence about this product and you have a Rennshifter- don't be. Buy it. I'm glad I did.

One final word - Mike referred to me as a "horrible person" for lopping off the ear of my perfectly fine shifter console. Maybe ask him for a console with a busted ear already before making the mod. But if you don't be sure to take pictures and tag him in them so you get your dose of the Shreck as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Zach

When I adjusted the shifter, I needed to clearance something (I can't recall what at the moment) where there was an impingement making it difficult going into the 4/5 plane. I know the shift rod was making contact with something, I just can't remember where. I do recall it being easy to remedy once I found it. After I found that, the shifter adjusted easily. For shifter adjustments I used DrEvils notes."

Probably the seatbelt bolt.
@VaccaRabite
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Jul 16 2019, 08:44 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 3,574

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 16 2019, 07:18 AM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 16 2019, 10:16 AM) *

Zach

When I adjusted the shifter, I needed to clearance something (I can't recall what at the moment) where there was an impingement making it difficult going into the 4/5 plane. I know the shift rod was making contact with something, I just can't remember where. I do recall it being easy to remedy once I found it. After I found that, the shifter adjusted easily. For shifter adjustments I used DrEvils notes."

@VaccaRabite

Thanks for the info Zach.. When you locate those pics please post them.
I already have the firewall bushing here so one less thing to get.

That's the first thing that came to me as well. I've had that issue in my 71 which drove me nuts. I had put the wrong length bolt in and it was hitting the shift rod.
I have a spare trans console that the bushing ear is snapped off of. I plan to use that one to modify and install. I better get my shopping list going then.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 16 2019, 02:50 PM
Post #25

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Jim, We put them on everything. The spherical firewall bushing is a must as well. That's a major slop area. A new factory firewall bushing is disgusting.

Everything should go as planned. This is one of the major improvement areas. With a short shift kit they're even more funnerer. Pull the trigger... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jul 16 2019, 03:01 PM
Post #26

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Trigger pulled...: Just submitted an order along with the fire wall bushing.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Jul 16 2019, 03:22 PM
Post #27

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27

You won't be sorry jim,, I've had one on my car now for over a year and I love it.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 16 2019, 04:05 PM
Post #28

En Garde!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 16 2019, 10:18 AM) *

@VaccaRabite

Nope, wasn't that. the rod that was part of the kit was touching (just barely, but just enough) something. If I got under the car to look I'd see it right off, but I'm in AC and the car isn't.

Also, found the pics of my ear mods:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net-1435-1390056689.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net-1435-1390056828.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net-1435-1390056690.3.jpg)

Zach
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jul 16 2019, 04:07 PM
Post #29

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jul 16 2019, 02:22 PM) *

You won't be sorry jim,, I've had one on my car now for over a year and I love it.

Cool, I figured you had it.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 16 2019, 06:02 PM
Post #30

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 16 2019, 06:05 PM) *

That is a thing of beauty...
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jul 17 2019, 07:33 AM
Post #31

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

Zach,

What did you use to cut off the console ear? A cut-off wheel?

Also, do you use the rear console black plastic boot (or cover)? Does it still fit over the Tangerine dual bushing arrangement?

Thanks.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jul 17 2019, 07:58 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 13,287

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 16 2019, 10:44 AM) *

I've had that issue in my 71 which drove me nuts. I had put the wrong length bolt in and it was hitting the shift rod.
I have a spare trans console that the bushing ear is snapped off of. I plan to use that one to modify and install. I better get my shopping list going then.

Ran into this problem also. the bolt supplied with the Renshifter was too long and the front shifting coupler would just touch it in 4th gear. It felt like I was hitting the limit of the shifter. Found it when I was trying to adjust that problem out.
Ground down the rear most bolt mounting the shifter and everything clears now.

Have the Tangerine spherical bushing and bronze console bushing but the stock rod and it shifts fantastic. I can't imagine it being better. Maybe one of these years I will get the Tangerine shift rod, but it doesn't seem necessary right now.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 17 2019, 09:33 AM
Post #33

En Garde!

QUOTE(maf914 @ Jul 17 2019, 09:33 AM) *

What did you use to cut off the console ear? A cut-off wheel?

Also, do you use the rear console black plastic boot (or cover)? Does it still fit over the Tangerine dual bushing arrangement?

I have no idea what I used to cut it off. I remember it was cold as all hell. I probably used a cutoff wheel but I may have used a hacksaw. IIRC the metal the trans is made from (aluminum or mag can’t remember) just loads up a cut off wheel.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 17 2019, 10:05 AM
Post #34

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

shift console mods are great

they made another noticeable improvement over the custom fire wall bushing and renn-shifter

I had all brass bushings and a straight bar prior to the console mods
each thing has helped a little more:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 17 2019, 10:05 AM
Post #35

914 Wizard

the cup bushing extension is in the picture also
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 17 2019, 10:30 AM
Post #36

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 17 2019, 12:05 PM) *

Why was that done?
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 17 2019, 10:33 AM
Post #37

914 Wizard

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 17 2019, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 17 2019, 12:05 PM) *

Why was that done?

at full extension a part of the plastic bushing is exposed/pulled out of the cup and unsupported.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 17 2019, 10:38 AM
Post #38

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 17 2019, 11:33 AM) *

at full extension a part of the plastic bushing is exposed/pulled out of the cup and unsupported.

Only if you use a shift rod head from a tailshift linkage. The correct sideshift shift rod head doesn't allow the cup bushing to be exposed too much.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 17 2019, 11:25 AM
Post #39

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jul 17 2019, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 17 2019, 11:33 AM) *

Only if you use a shift rod head from a tailshift linkage. The correct sideshift shift rod head doesn't allow the cup bushing to be exposed too much.

Good to know. I didn’t realize there was a difference. How do you tell them apart.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 17 2019, 11:42 AM
Post #40

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Actually, Brant's picture is of a sideshift piece so I don't understand how it needs an extension unless he moved the shaft further away from the selector on the transmission.
The tailshift piece is a noticeably different shaped casting.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 12:48 AM