Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another 1.7/1.8 head question, And another dumb ? from me?
I_like_2_weld
post Jun 30 2012, 03:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,448
Region Association: None

I did use the search function & I did find a lot of info that heiped. I know now that I should have had more information before I bought the P/C set that I have now. Here is my situation & my question. I have a 1.7 engine with 75,000 miles. The car had been sitting since 1995 when I bought it in January. It came with dual webers and an aftermarket exhaust. It also had the high compression domed pistons. Being on a budget, I bought the 93mm dished piston & cylinder set on sale on the AA website. I also bought the Scat C25 cam, cam bearings & cam gear. From what I understand, the CR of the 1.7 with domed pistons is 8.2:1. The CR of the 1.8 with dished pistons is 7.3:1. With the cam, carbs & exhaust I have is it true that the high compression 1.7 would have made more power than the 1.8 with same cam etc? If I have the 1.7 heads flycut to fit the 93mm jugs without going any deeper to raise compression & omit the lower spacer & sealing ring how close would that get me to the 8.2:1 CR of the 1.7? I know I need to CC everything, check deck height and do the math & will do that. I was just wondering if anyone has done this or if you know if it is possible to get higher compression with the combination of parts I have. Finally, is the size of combustion chamber smaller on 1.7 heads that have been opened up to fit 1.8 cylinders as compared to a stock 1.8 head. Thanks for any help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 10:13 AM