Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Washed my hands of Jake Raby
stugray
post Jul 3 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

Ok, so I have been building a race motor for over 2 years.

I have studied everything Jake Raby has to say, following his advice and buying his products almost exclusively (if engine related). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Last week I bought (from the type IV store) a set of AA cylinders and KB hypereutectic pistons.
the instructions in the box with the pistons said that I MUST increase the upper ring gap by 20-40% over the stock piston gaps.
I measured the gaps on the hastings rings that I also purchased from Jake.
They were both (upper & lower) exactly stock .015.

I question Jake on his "Type IV store support" forum and he said that is how he uses them (stock).
So I contacted the machinist that machined the pistons "United Engine and machine co, Carson city NV."
they told me that I absolutely must increase the upper ring gap or it would break the ring and damage the piston and void the warranty.
However they said that I should contact the manufacturer of the piston to get the exact number because it is specific to the particular application.
I said I got them from Jake Raby, but the guy said that did not ring a bell. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
I gave him the part number from the box and they said that customer was "European Motor Works in Hawthorne CA."

So I call European Motor works, tell them the story and they tell me I must increase the upper ring gap on hypereutectic pistons or I will break the ring and void my warranty.
The technician then tells me in excrutiating detail WHY that is so using hypereutectic pistons.
So I post this information on a thread about this exact product on the Type IV support thread on Jake's site.
Jake chewed me out for not blindly accepting his suggestion and made a comment something like "why do I even give advice?".

I posted again something almost exactly the following (can't post it exactly as Jake has deleted the thread):
(Jake you can post the exact text if you can recover it after deleting it)

"Ok let me understand:

1 - I have read every technical thread and watched your assembly video numerous times and one thing I can tell about you is that you demand that everyone follows your instructions to the letter or void the warranty.

2 - You send me one of your products (P&Cs) which has instructions in the box which instruct me to increase the ring gap of the upper ring.
I call the phone number on the instructions in the box, and the technical person on the other end tells me I need to increase the ring gap, but give me another number for the shop who designed this P&C combination.
THEY tell me the same thing: increase upper ring gap by .010 or void the warranty.

3 - You then proceed to treat me like an A-hole trolling for information when in fact I am a customer that just purchased YOUR product."

I then tell him he can keep his PAID FOR phone consultation because I dont need his kind of "Customer Service".
I paid extra for a phone consultation when I purchased his cam package.

So what does he do? He deletes the entire thread and does not even respond. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

What kind of customer support is that after I have spent probably $3000 over the last two years from him.
I know that it is not a $15k turn key engine, but why have a Type IV support forum, and treat CUSTOMER like dirt?

Since I am positive that I have burned all bridges with Jake and will probably get flamed by him every time I post on the is forum from now on, I dont mind sharing the fact that:

If you want to buy a P&C set, dont do it from Jake.
Buy them from "European Motor Works" directly and save $115.

http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/vw/type-...-cylinders.html

Since apparently Jake just buys his from them, marks them up $115 and doesnt even open the box or he would have noticed the instructions in there and possibly replaced them with his own if he wanted you to do sometihng different.

I have tried to put up with Jake's petty bitching about his customers because I might want some advice from him in the future. Now I just plain dont want it. I'd rather blow up one of his engines than deal with his self-righteous bull crap any longer.

He complains that he does not have enough time to answer questions DIRECTLY from his customers because he is so busy.
Then a GOOD business owner would either hire more help, or dont try to run an online store.

So I am sure we will get one of Jakes diatribes about how he cant stand trying to support people who ask him questions..... even if they were paying customers who even paid extra for just his time alone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)

Done with rant.

Stu
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
stugray   Washed my hands of Jake Raby   Jul 3 2012, 02:59 PM
ThePaintedMan   :popcorn:   Jul 3 2012, 03:12 PM
Dr Evil   :agree: :popcorn:   Jul 3 2012, 03:15 PM
Jake Raby   Great thread. Thanks for moving it here. You aske...   Jul 3 2012, 03:30 PM
SLITS   I thought the AA sets come from La Puente, CA All...   Jul 3 2012, 03:32 PM
Jake Raby   SLITS, these are not AA products, we do not use or...   Jul 3 2012, 03:37 PM
SLITS   SLITS, these are not AA products, we do not use o...   Jul 3 2012, 05:00 PM
stugray   Jake, Your response was less then one sentence wi...   Jul 3 2012, 03:46 PM
Jake Raby   Ok, so agree to disagree. Build your engine the wa...   Jul 3 2012, 04:11 PM
kg6dxn   3..., 2..., 1..., LOCK! <_< :WTF...   Jul 3 2012, 04:13 PM
get off my lawn   IBTL   Jul 3 2012, 04:20 PM
stugray   "because some guy at the piston MFR that has ...   Jul 3 2012, 04:21 PM
zymurgist   ILBT   Jul 3 2012, 04:22 PM
Jake Raby   Please lock it.. He has his info and has stated wh...   Jul 3 2012, 04:24 PM
flippa   Customers don't annoy me, people that ask qu...   Jul 3 2012, 04:25 PM
Valy   Hey, I don't get it :confused: Did you actuall...   Jul 3 2012, 04:30 PM
ape914   Jake has shown "his brand" of customer s...   Jul 3 2012, 04:41 PM
rohar   Protip: Engineering types will rub you the wrong ...   Jul 3 2012, 04:43 PM
stugray   "The pistons are not manufactured by EMW, the...   Jul 3 2012, 04:46 PM
ape914   "The pistons are not manufactured by EMW, th...   Jul 3 2012, 05:08 PM
Jake Raby   Ape, Thank you for your additional commentary. Doe...   Jul 3 2012, 04:51 PM
mepstein   Ape, Thank you for your additional commentary. Do...   Jul 3 2012, 04:54 PM
914_teener   Ape, Thank you for your additional commentary. Do...   Jul 3 2012, 06:01 PM
BajaXJ92   Ape, Thank you for your additional commentary. Do...   Jul 3 2012, 04:53 PM
02loftsmoor   :popcorn:   Jul 3 2012, 04:53 PM
stugray   I have this to add from the KB website: http://ww...   Jul 3 2012, 05:00 PM
Jake Raby   So much for agreeing to disagree...   Jul 3 2012, 05:02 PM
BajaXJ92   Sooooo lemme get this straight. It costs over ...   Jul 3 2012, 05:05 PM
RobW   :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: Perhaps anoth...   Jul 3 2012, 05:05 PM
speed metal army   Pretty sure I wouldnt walk across the street to ar...   Jul 3 2012, 05:07 PM
carr914   ILBT   Jul 3 2012, 05:15 PM
stugray   Thanks Jake. That is all it would have taken for...   Jul 3 2012, 05:18 PM
stugray   Sorry that's a new one on me... "I Love...   Jul 3 2012, 05:21 PM
SLITS   Sorry that's a new one on me... "I Lov...   Jul 3 2012, 05:23 PM
Jake Raby   There are no rules in engine building. The only wa...   Jul 3 2012, 05:26 PM
mrholland2   Don't care about THIS disagreement, but I do u...   Jul 3 2012, 06:15 PM
SirAndy   Alright, everyone had plenty of thread time to get...   Jul 3 2012, 06:21 PM

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:43 AM