Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Sebring ride!, Update: Finished 44th out of 68. Fast lap of 2:43
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 4 2012, 09:39 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

So, no this is not 914 related, but some of you may know that I was attempting to have my car ready to run the Chumpcar 14 hours of Sebring in Sept. As is often the case with these things, the OTHER drivers who were supposed to pony up have not to date, and I just don't have the funds to finish the car appropriately on my own. We would be a joke, if not a hazard and I would rather get the car sorted correctly and have some fun on the street then rush into something. Maybe next year.

However, I saved enough money and set some aside to cover my own azz in just such an occasion. I started poking around on the forum and met a great team from Sebring - a father, son and brother in law looking for another driver. Though its not a 914, it is something I'm VERY familiar with. Attached Image

'95 Mustang 5.0. Needless to say I'm very excited to be living one of my childhood dreams - driving a lap at Sebring. I'll let you all know how we do and post some more pics soon.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jul 10 2012, 11:30 AM
Post #2

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414

That is great man! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I really want to do the Sebring Chump Car or LeMons sometime.

I would probably just buy a legal car just to save all the time preparing one.

I have done a few DEs at Sebring and it is such a fun track.

It has to be chaos with 60-80 chump cars battling.

John
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 10 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #3

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Couldn't we just go to Avis and rent a car for the weekend. Of couse we'd buy the insurance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 10 2012, 11:54 AM
Post #4

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 10 2012, 01:47 PM) *

Couldn't we just go to Avis and rent a car for the weekend. Of couse we'd buy the insurance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I did that once ( not ChumpCar though) with a Toyota MR2
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 10 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Lol, that reminds me of a great Jeff Foxworthy quote. "Yes ma'am I would like that $10 insurance. Cause you've got a Ford Fiesta thats about to see more air time than a skateboard at the X-games." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So what would you guys think about driving Sebring or another Florida Chumpcar race sometime next year? I think driving with T.C., Paul and John would be a helluva good time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Come on... you know you want to!
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jul 11 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #6

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414

I would love to do it.

Having TC and Paul as ringers would be a great unfair advantage.

John
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 11 2012, 05:12 PM
Post #7

TC will be the ringer.

I'll help fix the damage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 11 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #8

Racer from Birth

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 11 2012, 07:12 PM) *

TC will be the ringer.

I'll help fix the damage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 11 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Thats funny. I started moving on to the body work while I wait to get the ignition sorted. My girlfriend said "Why? You're just going to get wrecked anyway. It is a race, right?" Good point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Jul 12 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #10

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 4 2012, 08:39 PM) *

So, no this is not 914 related, but some of you may know that I was attempting to have my car ready to run the Chumpcar 14 hours of Sebring in Sept. As is often the case with these things, the OTHER drivers who were supposed to pony up have not to date, and I just don't have the funds to finish the car appropriately on my own. We would be a joke, if not a hazard and I would rather get the car sorted correctly and have some fun on the street then rush into something. Maybe next year.

However, I saved enough money and set some aside to cover my own azz in just such an occasion. I started poking around on the forum and met a great team from Sebring - a father, son and brother in law looking for another driver. Though its not a 914, it is something I'm VERY familiar with. Attached Image

'95 Mustang 5.0. Needless to say I'm very excited to be living one of my childhood dreams - driving a lap at Sebring. I'll let you all know how we do and post some more pics soon.

Attached Image

LUCKY Painted Man Indeed! I'm green with envy. From what I've seen chasing 'Stangs on-track, they handle very well and with the stability that will make the 14 hours a pleasant drive.

I'm very interested to hear if the track is as nasty-bumpy as has been reported.
Please send LOTS of pics!

Terry
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 29 2012, 08:46 AM
Post #11

Racer from Birth

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 10 2012, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 10 2012, 01:47 PM) *

I did that once ( not ChumpCar though) with a Toyota MR2 in 1991.

Found the Picture in the Paddock
The 1st Track Day on the 12 Hours Course for Clubs EVER.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 29 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #12

Give me the date of this and I'll come down for it.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 30 2012, 04:32 AM
Post #13

Racer from Birth

Before you go out & Buy one, do you want to borrow my HANS? I know they are required by Chump
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 31 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Very cool T.C.! I remember the old pits very well from my childhood. Paul, the 14 hr in on September 22nd. If you guys are at all interested for next year, I'll keep you in the loop. There will be other events prior to that as well, but I've got a fair amount of work to do before my car would be ready.

T.C. - the team I'm with for Sebring this year has two HANS devices already. Actually, they're another brand, but I can't remember the name. That is a tremendously gracious offer though. I've never worn one, but I will be this weekend! We're doing a DE down at PBIR to do some final shakedowns and so I can get familiar with the car. The head guy said he wants me to do the Group 4 sessions, but I'm no so sure thats a good idea, or that they would even allow a novice in those sessions. What do you think?
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 7 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Update:
The team took the car to PBIR this past weekend for a DE with Hooked on Driving. The goal was to shake the car down one last time and get everyone comfortable in the car. Little did I know, but they nominated me for the first session, which was Group "A" and included instructors. I didn't have the cohones to fess up that I had never done a track day, so I sucked it up and went out. Perhaps not my best decision, but after the session, one of the instructors stopped by to tell me how shocked he was that the car was actually pretty quick. I explained that we were there to sort it out and that it was actually my first time. He laughed and told me that I did fine and he really couldn't tell, other than my line being "pretty weird" at Turn 6 and 7. By the next A session I was getting much more comfortable, turning consistent 1:37s and one 35.

All in all, not a bad day. The team captain asked me to push the car so he could determine what else needed to be done, which I did. When everyone else was driving no one saw water temps over 210, but I had it darn near 235, which confirmed that we needed to open up the thermostat opening some. Also, saw brake temps over 800 right after my session. Is this okay, or was I being too hard on them?

Side note: I also got my first ride in a 911, which happened to be a pretty stout IROC that one of the instructors owned. How freakin cool is that? Car was a hoot to ride in - I want one!
+Quote Post
Randal
post Aug 7 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 7 2012, 12:24 PM) *

Update:
The team took the car to PBIR this past weekend for a DE with Hooked on Driving. The goal was to shake the car down one last time and get everyone comfortable in the car. Little did I know, but they nominated me for the first session, which was Group "A" and included instructors. I didn't have the cohones to fess up that I had never done a track day, so I sucked it up and went out. Perhaps not my best decision, but after the session, one of the instructors stopped by to tell me how shocked he was that the car was actually pretty quick. I explained that we were there to sort it out and that it was actually my first time. He laughed and told me that I did fine and he really couldn't tell, other than my line being "pretty weird" at Turn 6 and 7. By the next A session I was getting much more comfortable, turning consistent 1:37s and one 35.

All in all, not a bad day. The team captain asked me to push the car so he could determine what else needed to be done, which I did. When everyone else was driving no one saw water temps over 210, but I had it darn near 235, which confirmed that we needed to open up the thermostat opening some. Also, saw brake temps over 800 right after my session. Is this okay, or was I being too hard on them?

Side note: I also got my first ride in a 911, which happened to be a pretty stout IROC that one of the instructors owned. How freakin cool is that? Car was a hoot to ride in - I want one!

How is the corner balance on the puppy? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 7 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Corner balance? What corner balance? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Lets just say its no 914. And it doesn't handle as well as my Mustang with Eibachs, KYB adjustables, Steeda balljoints, poly bushings, s-bars and bumpsteer kit. Its about 1.5 inches higher than I would like to see it, but Mustangs already have horrible geometry and any lowering past stock requires a compounding set of components to correct it. MacPherson struts are like that I guess. The biggest problem with the car was the body roll, but I was able to pick up on it pretty quick and just let it settle in the twisties. Like most heavy cars, its all about slow in, fast out. And by fast out, I mean I was hitting 130-135 on the backstretch. Blew by the same 911 that I rode in with a built 2.7, though it was obvious how much better he handled under braking and in the corners. The real plus to this car is the gearing - when the tranny was rebuilt he swapped out the OD 5th for a much higher and usable gear. With the stock 3.73 gears and 5th I was nearing 5,700 on the backstretch, almost on the rev limiter and just getting off of the cam. I was tempted to use 2nd but got far too much wheelspin and really slowed the engine down too much. But 3rd-5th was a blast.

Again, I'm a little nervous about the brakes, especially at Sebring. I was at 800 degrees once I came back to the pits, though the fluid did not boil. I didn't feel like I was even using all that I had. That combined with the longer backstretch and the gearing (pretty sure we'll top out), I think we're right on ragged edge of what the car is capable of.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Aug 7 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 7 2012, 07:23 PM) *

Corner balance? What corner balance? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Lets just say its no 914. And it doesn't handle as well as my Mustang with Eibachs, KYB adjustables, Steeda balljoints, poly bushings, s-bars and bumpsteer kit. Its about 1.5 inches higher than I would like to see it, but Mustangs already have horrible geometry and any lowering past stock requires a compounding set of components to correct it. MacPherson struts are like that I guess. The biggest problem with the car was the body roll, but I was able to pick up on it pretty quick and just let it settle in the twisties. Like most heavy cars, its all about slow in, fast out. And by fast out, I mean I was hitting 130-135 on the backstretch. Blew by the same 911 that I rode in with a built 2.7, though it was obvious how much better he handled under braking and in the corners. The real plus to this car is the gearing - when the tranny was rebuilt he swapped out the OD 5th for a much higher and usable gear. With the stock 3.73 gears and 5th I was nearing 5,700 on the backstretch, almost on the rev limiter and just getting off of the cam. I was tempted to use 2nd but got far too much wheelspin and really slowed the engine down too much. But 3rd-5th was a blast.

Again, I'm a little nervous about the brakes, especially at Sebring. I was at 800 degrees once I came back to the pits, though the fluid did not boil. I didn't feel like I was even using all that I had. That combined with the longer backstretch and the gearing (pretty sure we'll top out), I think we're right on ragged edge of what the car is capable of.

Wow, sounds like you're going to be having a bunch of fun. Life in the fast lane!

What about big sway bars to control the roll or isn't that allowed?
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 7 2012, 08:54 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I've mentioned it to the team captain but since the race is only a month and half out, I'm not sure he'll go for it. Plus, we're well over the $500 value the car is SUPPOSED to be at anyway. The idea is to take cars worth $500 (based on internet ads) and strip them down and go racing. Every dollar over $500 in worth, like aftermarket parts is penalized via laps. Since I just wanted to go fast, i.e. Ricky Bobby, I wouldn't matter to me either way. I think I'll just be happy to get a shot at my stint, hoping it doesn't grenade or get wrecked first.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 8 2012, 06:09 AM
Post #20

Racer from Birth

Sebring is not as Hard on Brakes as a lot of people think, although some drivers overuse & cook them.

Turn 1 - Just a brush of Brake, downshift, done - Funny (but True) Story, 1 year during the 12 Hours, it was Raining and they Black-Flagged Hans Stuck. When the Stewards told him he had been Black-Flagged for not Having Brake Lights, they checked & they were working. The Stewards said that there were No Brake Lights in Turn 1, he told them "Fuch You, I do Not use Brakes in Turn 1" and roared out of the Pits
Turn 3 - Braking is needed
Turn 5 - Brush
Turn 7 - Probably the Hardest Brake Zone
Turn 10 - 2nd Hardest Brake Zone
Turn 13 - Brake, Downshift - the line is most important
Turn 15 - Not as hard on Brakes as some people use them - remember 15/16 are comprimize corners, no good is going to come out of trying to do crazy pass's
Turn 17 - This is where people screw up. There are a thousand different lines through 17 & the one I use, requires very little braking even though you are coming down from the fastest section of the Track.

During your Chump weekend, I can come down & give you some Coaching.

Let me know what Kind of HANS you are using
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 06:04 AM