Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> carrera gt, yellow
Jake Raby
post Oct 20 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

It just gets on my nerves when I see these new plastic cars trying to be sold with names from the old cars thatgot the car companies where they are today... All that while they won't support a damn thing that the Vintage guys care about..

VW was the first with the "Bug"... Then "Mini", etc, etc. None of these Retro cars have a damn thing in common with the "Root" vehicle that got the car the recognition anyway....Marketing bullshit 101!

Hell, even the Carrera GT badge don't look right!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Oct 20 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #22

914 addicted

Member No.: 1,246

Plastic or no, it's hard for me not to see this car as a culmination of many decades of racing history. The styling is unbelievable, the technology state of the art. If it in fact is the platform to launch a racing program then so be it. You should see the carbon fiber in the undercarriage.
+Quote Post
Carrera916
post Oct 20 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 273

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Aaah, thank you, Jake!

Now I feel better that someone else, other than just me is poking the name of "Carrera" being misused on other P models when it actually BELONGS to the 356! For those who dont know, it all started with the 550 at the Mexcio race and they won. So Porsche felt it was worth the reconization of their sucess by placing the Carrera name on the best of 356 that they have which I think is appropiate to start the marketing of their 4 cammers to the public.
It drives me crazy when Porsche PR jerks kept confusing the public with the Carrera nameplate as it slips into the 911 terriorty. Even the Carrera 6 (aka 906) sounds really cool but it really misrepresent the history of the name itself that originated with the 550.

Oh hell, they even fuck things up more when they say the Boxster looks like a 550....shit, it looks more like a RS60 to me than anything else....

BUT.....the car...CGT is awsome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) ....the name??? I dunno.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 20 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #24

Engine Surgeon

Exactly...

Like I said, the car in the link I posted earlier is a real "Carrera GT"

BTW, it just sold two months ago for more than a new plastic version costs new and it was a 1959! But it did race at Lemans in 1960 :-)

It got some MassIVe attention whikle here at the shop... It's Carrera GT badge isn't fake..
+Quote Post
Carrera916
post Oct 20 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 273

You know.....

it would be hellva fun project to slip the 2.0L 4-cammer from the 904 and stuff it in the -6 GT....

it may be a lousy car to drive on the street but hell, once you rip her out on the open road, you might want to carry a roll of toliet paper with you......

FAST mutha! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 21 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #26

Engine Surgeon

It really would not like the gearing.... :-)

That 4 cammer has some tight ass gears! At 75MPH she turns 5000 RPM in 4th!

Power didn't come on till 6,000 hard....

Every time I took it up that high I remembered that I had just spent 10,000.00 on a set of pistons, cylinders and rods for that mutha..... WHEEW!
+Quote Post
i love porsche
post Oct 21 2004, 06:29 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 2,030
Region Association: North East States

what i dont see...is if you hate the CGT for its name..you must hate all 911's from the 80s on..because they were deemed the Carrera. all these cars are an evolution,so of course theyre going to change...do you hate the fact that the 904 was called a Carrera GTS because it was plastic too? and it eventually had a flat 8 in it, for its latest form.

i say, if you have such a problem with the name carrera being used...just call it the 980
+Quote Post
type47
post Oct 21 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #28

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

nice pix! yeah, i'm looking for a carerra GT engine to drop in my teener! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

..... after i sell my house and all by body parts for transplants......

Carerra GT to me is like Claudia Schiffer... unobtainium....
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Oct 21 2004, 09:52 AM
Post #29

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 20 2004, 08:58 PM)

VW was the first with the "Bug"... Then "Mini", etc, etc. None of these Retro cars have a damn thing in common with the "Root" vehicle that got the car the recognition anyway....Marketing bullshit 101!

Root, hehe, hehe, you said Root. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 11:57 PM