Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Long Winters Nap, Parked for about 6 months
tracks914
post Oct 20 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #1

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153
Region Association: None

I just parked my car for the winter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I found a good garage along with a friend of mine. Just 2 cars in it, a Mint '80 Z28 and my teener. For $100 apiece and the garage is closed up and left snowed in for the winter. I think I got a pretty good deal.
I just have to go back tomorrow and take out the battery in the daylight. I was going to sprinkle baking soda all around the battery tray area to absorb any possible acid leak (next year I get an optima) and I put some wooden blocking under the car (just enough to unweight the suspension under the jack points but the tires still touch the ground). I put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank, drained my washer fluid tank and put a little extra air in the tires for they will bleed down when the temp hits -45*C this winter. Anything else that I may have for got?
Tx
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 20 2004, 08:43 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

WHOA. That is crazy. I couldnt imagine being without for that long.

B
+Quote Post
markb
post Oct 20 2004, 08:51 PM
Post #3

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 20 2004, 07:43 PM)
WHOA. That is crazy. I couldnt imagine being without for that long.

B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
ejm
post Oct 20 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #4

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224

Anything else that I may have for got?

Poison bait to kill mice...they're prolly building a nest right now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Oct 20 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #5

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Moth balls to keep the critters out...

WHOA. That is crazy. I couldnt imagine being without for that long

That's why the make snowmobiles that go 150 mph (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Carl
post Oct 20 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #6

Ummm ... what?

Member No.: 163
Region Association: Northern California

when the temp hits -45*C

Whew!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 21 2004, 06:58 AM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Yep, getting near that time. I drive, on nice days, right up till the first salt hits the road. Then my baby goes away for a nap and repairs/mods get done in time for the spring. Temps don’t go down here as bad as Timmins, the coldest I’ve seen it is –30c. Most of the winter it hangs just below the freezing mark here.

I spray engine storage oil down the TB as well.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Oct 21 2004, 07:34 AM
Post #8

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Yep. Don't store a dirty car!! Clean the car well, including the wheel wells, trunks and behind the rocker panels (where dirt accumulates, stores water and rusts).

Pull the battery out entirely. It'll only take 5 minutes, and then you won't wonder. Still do your baking soda routine.

Clean the interior, focusing on any crumbs or spilled drinks (think - cold and hungry rodent smells something good and comes to chew up your interior.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wolfgang.gif)

Mothball the hell out of the inside and the engine compartment.

Some window screen material over the air intake and the exhaust. Wire it down with twist-ties, and you can see if any little critters have chewed their way in.

Put down plastic sheeting under the car, to prevent moisture from going UP into your car. Yes, especially if it's a concrete slab.

Lubricate all your seals (door, window, targa, etc) with some glycerine.

You can put the car on jackstands, and pull the tires. That should help them from becoming flat-spotted.

that's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps!

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Oct 21 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #9

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153

Yep. Don't store a dirty car!! Clean the car well, including the wheel wells, trunks and behind the rocker panels (where dirt accumulates, stores water and rusts).
Done

Pull the battery out entirely. It'll only take 5 minutes, and then you won't wonder. Still do your baking soda routine.
Done

Clean the interior, focusing on any crumbs or spilled drinks (think - cold and hungry rodent smells something good and comes to chew up your interior.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wolfgang.gif)
What.... crumbs in my car?...I don't think so, I don't let the kids eat in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Mothball the hell out of the inside and the engine compartment.
Does this keep the rust moths from the hell hole? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Some window screen material over the air intake and the exhaust. Wire it down with twist-ties, and you can see if any little critters have chewed their way in.
Good idea, never have needed that up here as we don't really have many rodents. (I don't think they will make it past the oil bath anyway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) )

Put down plastic sheeting under the car, to prevent moisture from going UP into your car. Yes, especially if it's a concrete slab.
Never heard of that one before either. With the winters running mostly about 10-30% humidity the air is pretty dry.

Lubricate all your seals (door, window, targa, etc) with some glycerine.
Done

You can put the car on jackstands, and pull the tires. That should help them from becoming flat-spotted.
Done

that's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps!
It did, if nothing else it gave me peace of mind to know I did as much as I could for this year.

BTW - for the 14th year in a row, the guy with the Z28 next to my car, ran it though the local car wash, backed it in the garage, took out the key and walked away. His car is still in mint condition. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:06 AM