Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Long Winters Nap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I just parked my car for the winter. sad.gif
I found a good garage along with a friend of mine. Just 2 cars in it, a Mint '80 Z28 and my teener. For $100 apiece and the garage is closed up and left snowed in for the winter. I think I got a pretty good deal.
I just have to go back tomorrow and take out the battery in the daylight. I was going to sprinkle baking soda all around the battery tray area to absorb any possible acid leak (next year I get an optima) and I put some wooden blocking under the car (just enough to unweight the suspension under the jack points but the tires still touch the ground). I put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank, drained my washer fluid tank and put a little extra air in the tires for they will bleed down when the temp hits -45*C this winter. Anything else that I may have for got?
Tx
Brad Roberts
WHOA. That is crazy. I couldnt imagine being without for that long.

B
markb
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 20 2004, 07:43 PM)
WHOA. That is crazy. I couldnt imagine being without for that long.

B

agree.gif
ejm
Anything else that I may have for got?

Poison bait to kill mice...they're prolly building a nest right now sad.gif
GWN7
Moth balls to keep the critters out...

WHOA. That is crazy. I couldnt imagine being without for that long

That's why the make snowmobiles that go 150 mph wink.gif biggrin.gif
Carl
when the temp hits -45*C

Whew!
Mark Henry
Yep, getting near that time. I drive, on nice days, right up till the first salt hits the road. Then my baby goes away for a nap and repairs/mods get done in time for the spring. Temps don’t go down here as bad as Timmins, the coldest I’ve seen it is –30c. Most of the winter it hangs just below the freezing mark here.

I spray engine storage oil down the TB as well.
Rusty
Yep. Don't store a dirty car!! Clean the car well, including the wheel wells, trunks and behind the rocker panels (where dirt accumulates, stores water and rusts).

Pull the battery out entirely. It'll only take 5 minutes, and then you won't wonder. Still do your baking soda routine.

Clean the interior, focusing on any crumbs or spilled drinks (think - cold and hungry rodent smells something good and comes to chew up your interior.) wolfgang.gif

Mothball the hell out of the inside and the engine compartment.

Some window screen material over the air intake and the exhaust. Wire it down with twist-ties, and you can see if any little critters have chewed their way in.

Put down plastic sheeting under the car, to prevent moisture from going UP into your car. Yes, especially if it's a concrete slab.

Lubricate all your seals (door, window, targa, etc) with some glycerine.

You can put the car on jackstands, and pull the tires. That should help them from becoming flat-spotted.

that's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps!

-Rusty smoke.gif
tracks914
Yep. Don't store a dirty car!! Clean the car well, including the wheel wells, trunks and behind the rocker panels (where dirt accumulates, stores water and rusts).
Done

Pull the battery out entirely. It'll only take 5 minutes, and then you won't wonder. Still do your baking soda routine.
Done

Clean the interior, focusing on any crumbs or spilled drinks (think - cold and hungry rodent smells something good and comes to chew up your interior.) wolfgang.gif
What.... crumbs in my car?...I don't think so, I don't let the kids eat in it. laugh.gif

Mothball the hell out of the inside and the engine compartment.
Does this keep the rust moths from the hell hole? laugh.gif

Some window screen material over the air intake and the exhaust. Wire it down with twist-ties, and you can see if any little critters have chewed their way in.
Good idea, never have needed that up here as we don't really have many rodents. (I don't think they will make it past the oil bath anyway wacko.gif )

Put down plastic sheeting under the car, to prevent moisture from going UP into your car. Yes, especially if it's a concrete slab.
Never heard of that one before either. With the winters running mostly about 10-30% humidity the air is pretty dry.

Lubricate all your seals (door, window, targa, etc) with some glycerine.
Done

You can put the car on jackstands, and pull the tires. That should help them from becoming flat-spotted.
Done

that's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps!
It did, if nothing else it gave me peace of mind to know I did as much as I could for this year.

BTW - for the 14th year in a row, the guy with the Z28 next to my car, ran it though the local car wash, backed it in the garage, took out the key and walked away. His car is still in mint condition. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.