Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What do I need to know about restoring my suspension?, need to get everything apart and ready for powerder coating
Type 47
post Jul 15 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,790
Region Association: None

What needs to be pressed off? What bushings do I need to replace/purchase? what needs to be done to the trailing arms before they are sand blasted. How do I get the struts seperated from the contol arms? etc., etc.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i139.photobucket.com-11790-1342404119.1.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Jul 15 2012, 08:08 PM
Post #2

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
I plan on doing the same later next month. Hope to learn what all is involved.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 16 2012, 09:04 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

powdercoating is going to cook all the control arm rubber bushings, add $$$$. another option is using a rattle can paint called ZERO RUST (google it) which is what i used when i did my front suspension. it really holds up to the environment and is easy to touch up if needed. i think eric shea also uses, or did, on his rear control arm packages

k
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jul 16 2012, 10:00 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

The bushings will come off pretty easily with liberal use of WD40. . wedge a small screwdriver between the joints and squirt the WD inside. . work the screwdriver around. . . it may be a waste of time because old rubber bushings have usually set up with a 'squish' on one side and you'll need new ones. .

The really hard part is getting the new ones compressed to insert them. . I made some aluminum bushings with bullet noses that fit inside the a arms with the taper outward. . then with the rubbers inside the outer holders, I pressed them on the arms using some dish soap for lube. the 'bullets gently expand the rubber and make a smooth transition onto the A Arms

Can't send you a picture because I sold the adapters at a local swap meet

The tie rod ends is a heat and hit deal, they are usually wedged on real tight. The ball joints should be no problem , the early struts are a pinch bolt, maybe some PB Blaster to speed up and make things easier.

And if you're feeling adventurous, you can pull the steering rack apart and repack the grease. . not a big deal if you are careful and watch how it comes apart.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 02:54 AM