Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do I need to know about restoring my suspension?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
What needs to be pressed off? What bushings do I need to replace/purchase? what needs to be done to the trailing arms before they are sand blasted. How do I get the struts seperated from the contol arms? etc., etc.

IPB Image
poorsche914
popcorn[1].gif
I plan on doing the same later next month. Hope to learn what all is involved.

driving.gif
rhodyguy
powdercoating is going to cook all the control arm rubber bushings, add $$$$. another option is using a rattle can paint called ZERO RUST (google it) which is what i used when i did my front suspension. it really holds up to the environment and is easy to touch up if needed. i think eric shea also uses, or did, on his rear control arm packages

k
toolguy
The bushings will come off pretty easily with liberal use of WD40. . wedge a small screwdriver between the joints and squirt the WD inside. . work the screwdriver around. . . it may be a waste of time because old rubber bushings have usually set up with a 'squish' on one side and you'll need new ones. .

The really hard part is getting the new ones compressed to insert them. . I made some aluminum bushings with bullet noses that fit inside the a arms with the taper outward. . then with the rubbers inside the outer holders, I pressed them on the arms using some dish soap for lube. the 'bullets gently expand the rubber and make a smooth transition onto the A Arms

Can't send you a picture because I sold the adapters at a local swap meet

The tie rod ends is a heat and hit deal, they are usually wedged on real tight. The ball joints should be no problem , the early struts are a pinch bolt, maybe some PB Blaster to speed up and make things easier.

And if you're feeling adventurous, you can pull the steering rack apart and repack the grease. . not a big deal if you are careful and watch how it comes apart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.