Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Vinyl covering on FG parts / "A" pillar, most cost effective way or alternitives
ruby914
post Jul 26 2012, 12:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,305
Region Association: None

Some of you may have seen this "A" pillar with the tweeter boss mounted in my car before. The CF I have is cost prohibitive to reproduce.
I have held off modifying my "A" pillar mold, to include the boss, until I work out a solution for a nice OEM looking vinyl finish.
I saw a pair of Morph's speaker pods at G&R that looked like they were covered with vinyl? They looked great. Is this how Morph is selling them or someone else's nice work?
I picked up this very thin sticky back vinyl shelf paper at HD that actually looks great on flat surfaces. Just a little heat and it will couture but it is hard to control with out wrinkling.
I made a crude picture frame to vacuum the HD vinyl over the part. That helped but It looks likeI will have to make a dedicated vacuum table and frame with some heat souse to get the quality I am looking for. I have seen some 3M vinyl that seems very pricey. I am not sure if that is what the dash recover guys are using? A more proper vinyl may help.

After seeing a, complex shape, thermo formed ABS cover at work the other day I am also considering other options. An ABS with a surface finish on one side would make a nice part but with a cheaper nonOEM look.
I have also seen some kind of over lay patterns that can be put on wheels, dash, grills... This was last seen up at Pomona Auto show.
I was thinking some of you, Morph, may have connections or ideas to produce a hi quality low cost part . Your thoughts...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:40 PM