Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sixer Project Mechanically Completed and Road Testing
shoguneagle
post Aug 24 2012, 06:53 AM
Post #21

shoguneagle

Group: Members
Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

Attached Image underneath left side of the car showing the left heat exchanger/exhaust. A little dark.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Aug 24 2012, 06:56 AM
Post #22

shoguneagle

Attached Image
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Aug 24 2012, 06:58 AM
Post #23

shoguneagle

Attached Image
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Aug 24 2012, 07:00 AM
Post #24

shoguneagle

Attached Image
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Aug 24 2012, 07:08 AM
Post #25

shoguneagle

I have attached photos relating to the present work and modifications I have done to the car. I have not shown the front oil cooler since it still has to be completed and housed. Another critical clerance area is where the shift rod crosses the heater exchanger. The heat exchanger had to be dimpled to allow the shift rod to work properly.

Yes, 911 heat exchangers and related heater system can be installed in a 914 and to where everything will work.

Sorry I could not get better pictures of the total car and underneath. I think I have some around and will try to install in this thread.

Still have a lot of work including cleanup, mounting, paint prep, etc. but the car has been a joy thus far in the build/modification process. It has been five years to get the "junk yard special" to this stage. Still a while to go before completion and the car goes on a long trip.

Steve
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Aug 24 2012, 07:10 AM
Post #26

shoguneagle

I have attached photos relating to the present work and modifications I have done to the car. I have not shown the front oil cooler since it still has to be completed and housed. Another critical clerance area is where the shift rod crosses the heater exchanger. The heat exchanger had to be dimpled to allow the shift rod to work properly.

Yes, 911 heat exchangers and related heater system can be installed in a 914 and to where everything will work.

Sorry I could not get better pictures of the total car and underneath. I think I have some around and will try to install in this thread.

Still have a lot of work including cleanup, mounting, paint prep, etc. but the car has been a joy thus far in the build/modification process. It has been five years to get the "junk yard special" to this stage. Still a while to go before completion and the car goes on a long trip.

Steve
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Aug 26 2012, 09:13 PM
Post #27

shoguneagle

Drove the car today throughout the neighborhood. 1st is a little sloppy going into gear but the rest are shifting properly. As I drive the car and the transaxle breaks in the shifts get better. Have had it 4th and 5th once. I want the transaxle to run for several days before adjusting the shift, suspension, etc.

It felt great to drive it for about ten miles. Everything feels solid.
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 27 2012, 09:51 AM
Post #28

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

please put a batter cover or insulated wrap on that positive battery cable.

if you get a rear end tap, or bend the trunk lid in anyway you are going to have a dead short and big fire

I would hate to see a fender bender cause a car fire and burn up all of your hard work.

edit: I see the white hoods in the later pictures
they may be glass eliminating some of the concern.
still they make cable end insulators for 99cents.....
brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 27 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #29

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Aug 26 2012, 08:13 PM) *

Drove the car today throughout the neighborhood. 1st is a little sloppy going into gear but the rest are shifting properly. As I drive the car and the transaxle breaks in the shifts get better. Have had it 4th and 5th once. I want the transaxle to run for several days before adjusting the shift, suspension, etc.

It felt great to drive it for about ten miles. Everything feels solid.

Great to hear Steve! Keep up the good work!!
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Aug 28 2012, 12:17 AM
Post #30

shoguneagle

Thanks, brant. You are right. The battery as presently shown is definitely a hazard. The battery case still has to be fastened down securely; the top I have is fiberglass and is form fitted with RTV to go over the entire battery top including the positive wire and its battery connection; same for ground side. I may end up with a lower profile battery and do the side connections instead of top connections. What do you think??

Andyrew: Great to hear from you. I remember when I thought I was out of the 914 business and was moving to Flagstaff. Within a year, I had a roller chassis and started building the present project. This is the project I should have built from the start instead of the 914-V8. I enjoyed both cars but the Porsche engine etal gives better handling and centering.

I do try to keep tabs on your ventures and your 914-V8. And I assume you are through school by now; and heard you got married.

Thanks for the feedback and comments. Someday it will be driven to California to attend a Porsche event.

Steve
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Aug 28 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #31

shoguneagle

The pictures do reflect most of the work I still have to do such as mounting the oil lines higher into the underneath side of the car. the rear trunk area reflects the need to change wiring, lines, etc to get better open room and weight balance.

The major disadvantage in locating the oil tank in the rear of the trunk is someone running into the rear end and causing damage. In addition, with the oil lines and thermo/bypass valve being located tucked up into the car next to he lower valve covers makes valve adjusting somewhat of a chore and time consuming event. Have to work on these two cause and effect items and make things simpler.

I have gotten the Porsche running and will establish dependability. I have another two months before it starts getting cold here in the Arizona High Country. I will do as much as I can for the rest of the year but it looks like the items left including painting etal will have to wait until next year.

I do have have to get the red car in the pictures back on the street again and return it to our place in Northern California. It is licensed in California and is here in Flagstaff for maintenance. Need to replace motor mounts, brakes, etc. This will have to be done in the next two weeks along with getting the garage straightened out. We are going to California and Oregon at the end of September for a short trip and then have to get back to Flagstaff.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and noted items.

Steve
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 07:30 AM