Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What oil does everyone run?, Not just break in oil!
RickS
post Aug 13 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,880
Region Association: None

Brad Penn or Mobil 1 are my oils of choice
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Thestigz06
post Aug 13 2012, 11:14 PM
Post #62

Aspiring Jarhead

Member No.: 12,749
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 13 2012, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Thestigz06 @ Aug 10 2012, 10:56 AM) *

Oh and calm down we all have our own opinions based off what we have heard, seen, experienced, etc. We're all friends here so there's no sense in trolling on anyone who doesn't agree with you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Every now and then I get a little strong with my words when I get fired up about some posts that have bad information. I apologize for the way I came across. I was actually more calm than it sounded - I probably just had a couple beers too many and lost my online tact, forgot the smileys, etc. But it wasn't trolling. And I don't argue just because someone doesn't agree with me.

Hey, who knows, many of us won't put enough miles on our 914s to even notice any potential difference. Run Wesson oil if you want. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

The points I do want to be clear on though:
1. Today's dino oil ain't the same as it was when they printed the owners manual. Maybe it's good enough. For some it isn't.
2. One should not believe a blanket statement like straight 40W is the only way to go for everyone in every climate.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)

Hey Thestigz06: Thanks for your service. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Its all good brother, i get the same way at times as well. Ive got thick skin and just enjoy a good debate every now and then. I dont want to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) and make a bigger issue then it is, just all in good fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Now back on topic:
Granted i did not account for the quality of oil today and I 100% agree that maybe folks in different climates have had better luck with different weights. My impression was that colder climates pulled their cars out as summer toys. I have hotrod friends in WI that refuse to take their toys out only in spring/summer time to avoid water and salt on the roads. I know it gets hot there but this was more of a statement that i seem to of pulled out of my (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) !

Much appreciated man! But you'll notice "aspiring". Plenty of paperwork still, but keep a lookout, il be posting some things in the sandbox with my progress before too long! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
stugray
post Aug 16 2014, 01:47 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

I just read an interesting tech article on oil testing and the results.

This is a good read and explains some of the "myths" about modern engine oils and their use in flat tappet motors (reader beware - I have not done any fact checking about these claims)

Does anyone know much about 540Rat?
He claims to have no affiliation with any oil (or oil additive) manufacturer, but he sure seems to like "Oil Extreme" additive.

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20...r-test-ranking/

I tend to believe Jake (if for no other reason than sheer numbers of engines that he has run) and use Brad Penn Racing oil.
But if you believe what 540rat is explaining, then castol GTX with the "oil extreme" additive is even better.

+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 16 2014, 04:43 PM
Post #64

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I am on Brad Penn 20W-50 now. Prior engine was on Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50. The switch was mainly due to a change in mechanics vs. a specific decision.
+Quote Post
struckn
post Aug 16 2014, 06:13 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Translog GT put SWEPCO 15W40 in mine after an Engine rebuild and I continue to use it. Tony use Brad Pen for the break in Oil, first 500 miles, replacing it with the SWEPCO.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
flylarry
post Aug 16 2014, 07:16 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 5,170

Here's what I've been using!Attached Image
+Quote Post
914bub
post Aug 16 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 16,260

Interesting how many people are running "Penn's oil", (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Sorry couldn't help myself.

On a serious note. I know a lot of people have noted that oil technology has changed a lot, even in recent years. I took a class at De Anza auto tech,(Circa 1987),taught by Dema Elgin,of Elgin cams fame. He told us DO NOT run Castrol GTX as it aerates far too much, and certainly do not run it in a turbo engine. He has a pretty impressive cam portfolio including Porsche so I've stuck with that advice.FWIW
+Quote Post
earossi
post Aug 16 2014, 08:02 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 13,878
Region Association: Upper MidWest

There are a lot of good oils out there. Speaking in very general terms, the promise of synthetics when they were introduced was that their additive packages were superior to those in dino oil, so you could run more miles on an oil change. So, oil changes could be postponed for 10k miles or more, without seeing major loss of protection from the additives.

That being said, most of us who own these older cars don't put a lot of miles on a car in a year, and we usually change our oil once a year or at a predetermined mileage of about 3000 miles (plus or minus). So, for those of us that adhere to that type of schedule, a synthetic is not necessarily superior to a dino oil.

What DOES matter, for cars that use higher lift cams and rocker cam followers, is the amount of ZDDP in the formulation, whether it be dino or a syn oil. The ZDDP forces oil to remain on the cam lobes longer and provides an acceptable degree of lubricity. So, ZDDP is important. And, unfortunately, approximately 10 years ago, the US EPA and IDOT imposed new regs requiring that platinum catalytic converters must have a life double what had been the case previously. I don't remember the exact mileage, but cats were regulated to have a life of approximately 80K miles. When the Feds essentially doubled that requirement, the oil formulators found that zinc in the ZDDP would kill the platinum catalyst sooner than the regs permitted. So, to meet the new regs, oil formulators cut the ZDDP levels essentially in half on their oils.

Over the last 5-6 years, there has been an step change in the amount of valve train failures in high performance engines due to lubrication related issues, including Porsches.

Valvetrain design and metallurgies have been altered by the engine designers to compensate for the lack of ZDDP in oils. So, new engines should be OK. But, how about all the millions of engines out there that were designed to use high levels of ZDDP? We are essentially screwed.

But, there is a "work around". The reduced ZDDP level oils are those for road usage ONLY. So, if you find an oil that is for "off road usage", more than likely it has the old elevated levels of ZDDP. So the oils will be branded as "for off road use only" or as "racing oils", which means they are intended to be used on a track, where catalytic convertors are currently not required.

If you use 20W50, you can get a high ZDDP level synthetic in Mobil 1 formulated for motor cycles. Since current laws do not require cat convertors on motor cycles, oils formulated for them still have the proper level of ZDDP.

In addition to Brad Penn, racing and off road usage oils made by Motul, Joe Gibbs, and Mobil 1 are all good oils.

And, that is the short story!
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 16 2014, 09:20 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 6,787

Whatever synthetic is on sale. I've only used synthetic in the Jetta, since break in oil, and 168,000 and still going strong.................
+Quote Post
stugray
post Aug 16 2014, 09:53 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

The link above explained in excruciating detail that the author does not believe as much in the ZDDP requirements.
I'll leave that up the reader to decide for themselves.
On that thread is his list of top ~133 oils based almost entirely on his “Dynamic Wear Testing Under Load” which gets a rating in PSI.

Of those 133, I cut a couple that are discussed on these forums for use in type IVs.
Lucas, Joe Gibbs, Valvoline VR1, and Brad Penn, are the most discussed.
Below is the ranking in the author's tests, in cluding the PSI rating, the relevant chem comp (Zinc, Phos, Moly, TBN), and any notes.
I was also focused on racing oils and not so much daily drivers.

I found it interesting that based on just these #s (not saying I believe them) that the Valvoline VR1 is almost identical to Brad Penn, but has a higher rating by the author.

Obviously LOTS more info if you read the link above.

Ranked 8 10W30 Lucas Racing Only synthetic = 106,505 psi
zinc = 2642 ppm
phosphorus = 3489 ppm
moly = 1764 ppm
calcium = 2,929 ppm
TBN = 9.0
NOTE: This oil is suitable for short term racing use only, and is not suitable for street use.

Ranked 13 5W30 Joe Gibbs Driven LS30 Performance Motor Oil, synthetic = 104,487 psi
The bottle says it is formulated specifically for high output GM LS engines, and that no ZDDP or additives required. This is by far, the best performing Joe Gibbs oil I’ve ever tested. It is at the very top of the OUTSTANDING wear protection category, and fell just short of the INCREDIBLE wear protection category.
zinc = 1610 ppm
phosphorus = 1496 ppm
moly = 0 ppm
calcium = 3515 ppm
TBN = 8.8
This oil contains sufficient amounts of the components required (detergent, acid neutralizer, etc) for normal change intervals in street driven vehicles. But, it has way too much zinc/phos for use in cat equipped vehicles. However, it is well suited for Race Cars, Street Hotrods and Classic cars.

Ranked 16 10W30 Valvoline VR1 Conventional Racing Oil (silver bottle) = 103,505 psi
zinc = 1472 ppm
phosphorus = 1544 ppm
moly = 3 ppm
calcium = 2,707 ppm
TBN = 7.6

Ranked 100 10W30 Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1 semi-synthetic = 71,206 psi
zinc = 1557 ppm
phos = 1651 ppm
moly = 3 ppm
+Quote Post
budk
post Aug 17 2014, 06:48 AM
Post #71

Yes! It's a Bumblebee!

Member No.: 11,970

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Aug 5 2012, 10:35 PM) *

WOW! Now I understand why all I would see is BP!

Okay,
Are the benefits due to the Zinc? What sources do you use to obtain the oil?

Thanks for everyone's input!

Thomas

NAPA
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Aug 17 2014, 07:47 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Here's a link from Covette forums (sorry guys) that seems very well done on oil rankings.
Barefoot
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-pe...-test-data.html

Here's another:
http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 17 2014, 08:23 AM
Post #73

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

BP - shipped to my door for free when I buy on Amazon
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 17 2014, 08:55 AM
Post #74

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Royal purple still....

+Quote Post
johnhora
post Aug 17 2014, 09:01 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 107

Don't you just love discussions on this subject... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...eweditions/oil/

http://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/80559...-motor-oil.html

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Aug 17 2014, 09:46 AM
Post #76

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,428

Stock 2.0 D-Jet. I run Quaker State Defy 10w-30, a synthetic blend. It has the required zinc and is available at Wal-Mart for about $17 per 5 quart jug. In time, I hope they develop a 20w-50 formula, or at least 10w-40.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 17 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #77

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

For the last year I've been using the VR-1, the car seems to like it.

Why? Because I received two cases from a friend who put a 6 in his car, and is now running Mobil-1. That, and I'm cheap.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 17 2014, 10:10 AM
Post #78

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I've been running Delo 400 15w40 diesel oil all summer with no issue, quite cheap as well. This is in my T4 bug engine....well north of $10K to build.

Delo is good enough for Henry at Supertec, I doubt he builds a single engine under $25K.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Aug 17 2014, 11:35 AM
Post #79

Advanced Member

Here is the list with the oils mentioned above added: Royal purple (not sure which one, there are many in the list), Delo 400 diesel, & quaker Defy.

Ranked 8 10W30 Lucas Racing Only synthetic = 106,505 psi
zinc = 2642 ppm
phosphorus = 3489 ppm
moly = 1764 ppm
calcium = 2,929 ppm
TBN = 9.0
NOTE: This oil is suitable for short term racing use only, and is not suitable for street use.

Ranked 13 5W30 Joe Gibbs Driven LS30 Performance Motor Oil, synthetic = 104,487 psi
The bottle says it is formulated specifically for high output GM LS engines, and that no ZDDP or additives required. This is by far, the best performing Joe Gibbs oil I’ve ever tested. It is at the very top of the OUTSTANDING wear protection category, and fell just short of the INCREDIBLE wear protection category.
zinc = 1610 ppm
phosphorus = 1496 ppm
moly = 0 ppm
calcium = 3515 ppm
TBN = 8.8
This oil contains sufficient amounts of the components required (detergent, acid neutralizer, etc) for normal change intervals in street driven vehicles. But, it has way too much zinc/phos for use in cat equipped vehicles. However, it is well suited for Race Cars, Street Hotrods and Classic cars.

Ranked 16 10W30 Valvoline VR1 Conventional Racing Oil (silver bottle) = 103,505 psi
zinc = 1472 ppm
phosphorus = 1544 ppm
moly = 3 ppm
calcium = 2,707 ppm
TBN = 7.6

Ranked 51 10W30 Quaker State Defy, API SL semi-synthetic = 90,226 psi
zinc = 1221 ppm
phos = 955 ppm
moly = 99 ppm

Ranked 65 20W50 Royal Purple API SN synthetic = 83,487 psi
zinc = 588 ppm
phos = 697 ppm
moly = 0 ppm

Ranked 80. 15W40 ROYAL PURPLE Diesel Oil synthetic, API CJ-4 /SM, CI-4 PLUS, CH-4, CI-4 = 76,997 psi
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD

Ranked 87. 5W30 Royal Purple XPR (Extreme Performance Racing) synthetic = 74,860 psi
zinc = 1421 ppm
phos = 1338 ppm
moly = 204 ppm

Ranked 92 15W40 CHEVRON DELO 400LE Diesel Oil, conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CF-4,CF/SM, = 73,520 psi
zinc = 1519 ppm
phos = 1139 ppm
moly = 80 ppm

Ranked 100 10W30 Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1 semi-synthetic = 71,206 psi
zinc = 1557 ppm
phos = 1651 ppm
moly = 3 ppm

114. 10W30 Royal Purple HPS (High Performance Street) synthetic = 66,211 psi
zinc = 1774 ppm
phos = 1347 ppm
moly = 189 ppm
+Quote Post
tumamilhem
post Aug 17 2014, 08:49 PM
Post #80

LUFTBRIGADE

Member No.: 15,092
Region Association: South East States

Lebanese olive oil. Extra virgin. Cold pressed. Also excellent on bread and kibbie nayyi. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 04:05 PM