Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru Conversion Products, coldwater914.com
IM101
post Aug 16 2012, 04:59 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,367
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Good to hear chris, on the hardware the cradle to the body, it comes with the necessary 1/2" grade 5 hardware (grade 5 used intentionally as in case of impact i would rather have the bolts bend then shear like grade 8). simlarly the trans hanger comes with the proper metric hardware. the engine to cradle connection is based off of the stock subaru mounts, and i assume that each mount should have the OEM nut with it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rod
post Aug 18 2012, 02:23 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 8,526
Region Association: England

I love this! Just read through both your threads about conversion. Hats off to you.

When you have a full kit available give me a call, I'm in the UK and want to land one box at customs that will get the job done in its entirety..

+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 19 2012, 09:40 AM
Post #23

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Awesome! I have a cradle in AU and would love to have one in GB!

I saw your post over in the "cost no object" thread, lets see if we can get you set up with a less expensive version of the beast you described there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 22 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #24

Update:
Netting it, I ran into some unforeseen time restraints and didn’t get to finish the production run. I have everything going and will easily be able to finish/start shipping by next Wednesday. On Monday I will send out official invoices/payment details to everyone who messaged me.
The long version of what happened is I ran into some issues with the fixture (technically it’s a jig now) and welding process that resulted in the cradles not fitting correctly. I was tempted to just band-aid the situation and forge ahead with the production to get the cradles out but that would risk customers possibly dealing with fit issues, unacceptable. So I did it the right way, a complete re-prototyped cradle and tear down/build up of the Jig. Took most of my weekend, three engine pull/installations but I got it done. The Jig is perfect and tested and I refined the welding process so that there is zero pull (warping) of the cradles. In summery im very pleased with the results and quite confident in the fit and finish.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 29 2012, 01:13 AM
Post #25

Good news, managed to complete enogh cradles to fill the imidiate pre-orders. tomorrow i plan to get the shipping quotes all figured out and sendoff the invoices to whoever was interested. I will need an email address from those who haven't already sent one.
Thursday I plan to finish welding the trans hangers and the rest of the cradles if I have time. More importantly I plan on packaging up the orders to ship on Friday! right now Im set up to accept pay-pal or checks. I may just end up getting card processing up to speed tomorrow as-well.

It's finally here guys!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gonzalezllg
post Aug 29 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 13,099
Region Association: None

Good Afternoon

Please forgive me if this question has already been answered. Will this kit accommodate a Subaru 6 Cyl Engine (EZ or EG series) with Subaru Trans?
Thanks
+Quote Post
IM101
post Aug 29 2012, 12:21 PM
Post #27

first of all... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Secondly i have no problem answering questions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif). If you notice in my product description on the first page i do mention that it will work for the 3.3 and 3.6 Liter 6's. But to clarify yes my engine cradle will work with the eg33 and the EZ series (EZ30D, EZ30R, EZ36R) engines. The trans hanger then incorporates into the engine cradle and will accept any of the subaru 5 speed manual transmissions. It may also work with the new 2010-2012 6 speed transmission but i have not had one to test yet.

to see some other info regarding 6clys look for my other threads by clicking on my screen name to go to my profile page, click on the upper right hand box on that page that says profile options and either search my posts or threads.
+Quote Post
gonzalezllg
post Aug 29 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 13,099

QUOTE(IM101 @ Aug 29 2012, 10:21 AM) *

first of all... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Secondly i have no problem answering questions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif). If you notice in my product description on the first page i do mention that it will work for the 3.3 and 3.6 Liter 6's. But to clarify yes my engine cradle will work with the eg33 and the EZ series (EZ30D, EZ30R, EZ36R) engines. The trans hanger then incorporates into the engine cradle and will accept any of the subaru 5 speed manual transmissions. It may also work with the new 2010-2012 6 speed transmission but i have not had one to test yet.

to see some other info regarding 6clys look for my other threads by clicking on my screen name to go to my profile page, click on the upper right hand box on that page that says profile options and either search my posts or threads.

Thank you very much.
+Quote Post
Dougman
post Sep 12 2012, 07:38 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 14,778
Region Association: Northern California

Nice work! I want to order the engine cradle, trans mounts, spline coupler, back plate, and the axles when ready. Email is douglasmower@yahoo.com. Address is 95949. Thanks, Doug
+Quote Post
IM101
post Sep 12 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #30

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Thanks, I will send you an email shortly! also you may want to be careful floating your email out like that, good way to pick up spam, i have it written down so feel free to edit your post and delete it.
+Quote Post
dian
post Sep 14 2012, 02:09 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 13,583

did you get any shipping quotes to england yet? i am in switzerland.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Sep 14 2012, 04:51 AM
Post #32

Dian, I hadn't yet because I assumed that overseas guys customers are going to wantas much of the conversion products I can make. Since I'm getting real close to ordering the axles and finishing the prototype 5mt cable shifter I guess it won't hurt to find out. Not to mention I woke up, saw your post, and cannot get back to sleep now thinking about it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Give me a sec
+Quote Post
IM101
post Sep 14 2012, 06:14 AM
Post #33

these are just rough estimates and i would need exact shipping address to be more accurate.

So to both UK and Switzerland, I'm coming up with two options. First option i ship the cradle and other gear complete ready to bolt on in a large package (44x10x43in at 45lbs). pricing i could find for that was quite expensive ranging from 600-900$ UPS, FedEx, DHL

The next option is if you have the ability to get some welding done I could possibly send a modified cradle in a smaller box (44x10x22) which opens up USPS at 200-300$

Should be noted that this option would only be available for international customers.
+Quote Post
dian
post Sep 19 2012, 02:18 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 13,583

so what is the advantage of your craddle over separate engine and trans mounts?
+Quote Post
IM101
post Sep 19 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #35

The main advantage would be in the way the engine is supported, on one hand you have an engine cradle, which literally cradles the engine, suspending it with no undue or differing stress relative to how Subaru originally mounted it. On the other hand for example, if you used a stock 914 bar and welded on some runners with the mounts, you get a separate front mount bar for the engine and a rear mount for the trans, but remember unlike the original 914 engine, the Subaru mounts are much farther rearward, creating a long span . This span would create a pseudo cantilever set up, relying on the mid-section (where the engine and trans bell housing meet, or 4-8 studs/bolts) to bridge and support the outer sections portions (the mounted engine and the mounted transmission) which on their own would want to hinge downward. Thus the entire system would rely on a single element of the design that was not specifically designed for that specific job.
Would it work? Probably… I would suggest periodically checking to make sure no nuts/bolts are backing off. Would it be optimal? No… as well as the aforementioned cantilever set up running with a bar from the front you would have to figure out a way around turbo headers/oil pan interference; So when originally designing the drivetrain mounting system I didn’t feel comfortable with those issues.
+Quote Post
blitZ
post Sep 20 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #36

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

I assume the cradle works on the 2.5 also?
+Quote Post
IM101
post Sep 20 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #37

yes all EJ series engines including the 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.5, turbo or NA engines. As well as the subaru 6's including the EG33 out of the svx and the EZ series engines.

Basically any engine from the late early 90's to 2010 will bolt up great. after 2010 subaru changed some of the engines (ex. FA and FB) that while I assume would work cannot verify.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 21 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Ian,

Forgive my ignorance, but can you confirm what is needed in terms of engine/tranny mounts if I use your cradle and subie tranny stuff? For the rear it looks like stock ones work or your urethane ones...how about the front?

Thanks! I am emptying my parts stash to get the coin for all of your stuff. Have a bunch of things I won't need if I convert. Great work on the kit!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 21 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Ian,

Maybe if I read the post just a few back I would have realized that the answer is there... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
IM101
post Sep 21 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #40

Glad you figured it out Chris, and if you hadn't you needn't worry, I'm pretty forgiving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).

But for the sake of being thorough, here is a quick install guide with a complete description of the different mounts.

First engine is mounted to the cradle using the OEM Subaru mounts (which there are a plethora of aftermarket replacements for, from soft rubber to solid mounts)

Next the with the stock 914 or aftermarket mounts fully assembled a set should be in place on the front chassis points and set on the rear of the cradle. The transmission is bolted into the cradle, either directly (901) or with my hangers (5mt).

The entire assembly then mounts to the chassis utilizing the four stock mounting locations on the 914. The 4 chassis mounts can be either OEM(or similar) rubber 914 mounts, or my urethane aftermarket mounts.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:08 PM