Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Nail prone tires?
BCinSC
post Oct 23 2004, 02:32 PM
Post #1

Nothing but Trouble

Group: Members
Member No.: 800
Region Association: North East States

Bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S about 9 months ago. Noticed low pressure on one today and found yet another nail in the tread. That makes 3 out of 4 to pick up a nail that perforated full depth of tread, belts, etc. While there's construction around, my other 2 cars, with different brands of tires, don't seem to have this problem. Is it possibly the tires are overly susceptible? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
dmenche914
post Oct 23 2004, 04:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 366

High performance tires are stickier that regular, so they might be more likely to catch a nail on the first revolution, and once cauaght, each time the nail is driven deeper. also a sticky tire is softer, and hence likely easier to penetrate, once stuck, the nal will work its way thru the tire.

I note that my stickier AVS tires would always pick up more raod gravel than that on my regular tired car.

That may expalin it.

Contact your city road department, and complain that the contruction site is leaving hazardous debies ont he road. The city might be able to get the contractor to run a street sweeper frequently near the job site.

Be sure to let the city see your bill. maybe if the city determines the contractor is leaving nails on the road in great numbers, you might be able to use that as proof of cuase of damage , and recover tire repair costs.

At any rate, Yes, high perfomance tire are more likely to have stuff stick.
+Quote Post
BCinSC
post Oct 24 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #3

Nothing but Trouble

Fortunately, I purchased road hazard coverage and so far no additional out of pocket expenses, aside from gas and time to get repairs. Unfortunately, my city is one big construction site. And it's supposedly broke - they're looking to increase sales tax to allegedly improve roads, though all past increases ear-marked as such have simply gone into general slush fund to be frittered away without reconciliation. Anyway, are Bridgestone Turanza LS-V hi-po enough to suffer same consequence? Just put a new set on other car.
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Oct 24 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #4

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248
Region Association: None

Stop driving your Porsche through construction sites. That should help your problem.
+Quote Post
BCinSC
post Oct 26 2004, 11:26 AM
Post #5

Nothing but Trouble

Porsche on blocks. This is the Benz.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Oct 26 2004, 11:53 AM
Post #6

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

That makes 3 out of 4 to pick up a nail that perforated full depth of tread, belts, etc.

Has my Mother been driving your car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I am always taking the tires in for her to get patched. If there is a nail in the road, she will find it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 12:09 AM