Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nail prone tires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BCinSC
Bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S about 9 months ago. Noticed low pressure on one today and found yet another nail in the tread. That makes 3 out of 4 to pick up a nail that perforated full depth of tread, belts, etc. While there's construction around, my other 2 cars, with different brands of tires, don't seem to have this problem. Is it possibly the tires are overly susceptible? confused24.gif
dmenche914
High performance tires are stickier that regular, so they might be more likely to catch a nail on the first revolution, and once cauaght, each time the nail is driven deeper. also a sticky tire is softer, and hence likely easier to penetrate, once stuck, the nal will work its way thru the tire.

I note that my stickier AVS tires would always pick up more raod gravel than that on my regular tired car.

That may expalin it.

Contact your city road department, and complain that the contruction site is leaving hazardous debies ont he road. The city might be able to get the contractor to run a street sweeper frequently near the job site.

Be sure to let the city see your bill. maybe if the city determines the contractor is leaving nails on the road in great numbers, you might be able to use that as proof of cuase of damage , and recover tire repair costs.

At any rate, Yes, high perfomance tire are more likely to have stuff stick.
BCinSC
Fortunately, I purchased road hazard coverage and so far no additional out of pocket expenses, aside from gas and time to get repairs. Unfortunately, my city is one big construction site. And it's supposedly broke - they're looking to increase sales tax to allegedly improve roads, though all past increases ear-marked as such have simply gone into general slush fund to be frittered away without reconciliation. Anyway, are Bridgestone Turanza LS-V hi-po enough to suffer same consequence? Just put a new set on other car.
djm914-6
Stop driving your Porsche through construction sites. That should help your problem.
BCinSC
Porsche on blocks. This is the Benz.
GaroldShaffer
That makes 3 out of 4 to pick up a nail that perforated full depth of tread, belts, etc.

Has my Mother been driving your car? blink.gif wink.gif I am always taking the tires in for her to get patched. If there is a nail in the road, she will find it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.